Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure Touring Motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I'm so torn between the 650 and 1000. I've sat on both and they are both nice and comfortable. I think the 650 would be a far more dirt capable machine than the 1000 but the 1000 would be much better and stable on the tarmac. I love the price of the 650, especially the new ones with the nice new instrument cluster!

my 2007 650 is plenty stable on the tarmac, maybe a little more so with tapered roller steering stem bearings, front fork drop in cartridges and an Elka rear shock.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post

my 2007 650 is plenty stable on the tarmac, maybe a little more so with tapered roller steering stem bearings, front fork drop in cartridges and an Elka rear shock.
    I've read that the 650 can be underpowered when loaded. Have you experienced that at all? I do love the price of the 650, especially that new XT model.
    Name:  2015-Suzuki-V-Strom-650XT-002.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  55.6 KB

My current DR650 is fantastic in the dirt but when I'm on the freeway it's very uncomfortable for rides longer than 30 minutes or so. The few times I've been loaded it's definitely been a bit underpowered at freeway speeds, but I can easily cruise at 90 when it's just me but there isn't much get up and go at that point.

My DR has about 44 horsepower and it looks like the new Vstrom 650 puts out 68 HP.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    I hear the Honda 700 is rather anemic. Wait unil the next gen Africa Twin comes out...
    There is an old Transalp on KSL. The guy wants $3600 for a 25 year old bike but it is sweet! It would be cool if the new model came to the USA.

I like a lot of features of the NC700X. Engine sits low, fuel tank sits low, Storage for a full face helmet, 70MPG, low price, light weight, nimble. Its not really an adventure bike unless I make it one. Anyway I now own a used one and like it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I've read that the 650 can be underpowered when loaded. Have you experienced that at all? I do love the price of the 650, especially that new XT model.
    Sorry - can't answer that. I ride solo with only a top box. Power seems about double what I need. For real adventuring I take the Jeep and my wife (co-adventurer) into the back country..

fourtycal... pics or it didn't happen....

That's a cool link. I'd love to find a way to blend the two sports. I like the bike racks where you can have the bike to the side rather than hanging off the back.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

The racks I've seen that are mounted to the side do n0t have the paniers on - -hence you wold have a hard time doing the camping and all like these guys did. I would like a rack that I can take my bike to the trails with - should look into it.

I've seen one where they mounted the fork holder onto the rear passenger peg and then it angled up so they still had that panier. I've got a crap ton of pictures at work of various set ups. It might have been a soft bag, can't remember.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

First one I saw was made by a guy who goes by "Ricardo" on ADV. He made several other versions over the years also. He now lives here in Salt Lake.May have to look him up and see what the pros and cons of them are.

The current Motorcyclist magazine has s comparo of the nid line adv bikes. Of the Vstrom 1000, the Yamaha FJ-09, and the New to US Kawisaki Versys 1000 - the Versys is their top pick. It ued the z1000 motor in a detuned state with 110 hp. Looks like a nice overall package. You may want to do some research from European sites as they have had it a couple of years.

It is a shame you will never get a chance at this 2014 300xc It is a light switch right now but I just got the $1.89 spring to slow it down for you. Runs great on 60:1 ratio at slow speeds and will scare the crap out of your at 50:1 full on get r done speeds of desert racing. TRUST ME or ask MARK B. LMAO

This is nothing compared to the suss. front and rear. The little 300 is set up right....... IT will smoke my 500 fi xc-w right up till about 83 mph then the 500 will just walk away like she should.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

The Yammay 1200 is one I am looking at. With real spoke tires and some goodies that are easy to work on is a plus in anyone's book.

I'm going to miss this 300 big time but I want to see some country plain and simple.
    By the way this 300 is set up by a pro rider and serviced with new 30 hrs top and bottom from his go to guys out of Cali. Blias Motors and is a bit above the cut LOL. with a different head and 14:1 comp.
    Smokin fast bike and will handle all these 3-4 ft hoops we see here in southern Utah at speed...
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

XR vsDR 650 must have been the xl model cause there is now way in hell you can even begin to compare A DR 650 to a XR650R street or dirt. Sorry nice try. You would be money ahead trying it with a DR 400.
    A very POS Proven owesome Suitable bike the 400 is. Not many DR's have made it back from anything over 3k miles without seriuos problems.... with a DR 650 KLR OH HELL YES.. TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

SORRY BRO BUT IT IS LIKE THE V-STROM 1000 AND we all know how they work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    XR vsDR 650 must have been the xl model cause there is now way in hell you can even begin to compare A DR 650 to a XR650R street or dirt. Sorry nice try.
    We can agree to disagree. It was an XR650L. His was more capable in the dirt, mostly due to the extra suspension travel and higher perch, but it was absolute crap on the paved stuff or graded roads. The DR650 was vastly superior in those realms and almost as capable in the dirt. After I bought mine we switched on a 2 day desert ride for a few hours, we both agreed that in the whoops and technical stuff his was better but when you needed to track straight in the washes, go fast in the straight sections, or on a road, the DR was better. That's my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    Not many DR's have made it back from anything over 3k miles without seriuos problems
    What a load of crap. I wanted a 90dirt/10road dual sport and have been super happy with my DR. It's been all over the desert and tough trails. It's been to the Paiute several times and never given me trouble. I bought it with 4,200 miles and it now has 28,300 and I've only done normal wear and tear and maintenance. Lot's of desert trails, roads, mud, sand, etc and it's always performed within its capabilities, or more my abilities. I'm sure it could handle more if I could. Your assessment of the DR is contradictory to almost every on-line story, review, trip report, etc regarding dual sport motorcycles. Probably just your unfamiliarity with the motorcycle.

When I was looking for a new dual sport back in '08 it came down to the usual suspects, DRZ400, XR650, DR650, KLR650. All my research said that the DRZ400 was the most dirt capable while the KLR650 was the most street capable. With the DR and XR being very close to each other. Most reviews said the DR was more powerful but that the XR, with it's better off road suspension, was more dirt oriented. The same high travel and dirt capabilities that made the XR good in the dirt hindered it on the roads whereas the DR was good at both, a compromise. Especially since it was oil cooled, no fan, no coolant, less to worry about. I read countless reviews about how the XR is sub-standard on the road and that continuous miles at higher RPM's blows up the valve seats. Hence I bought the DR650. Never once regretted the decision.

Wasn't it a XR650 you were on at that first Paiute trail trip? My DR has been through there, loaded with camping gear, and no tip overs or broken thumbs.

In any case, this is all besides the point. I'm keeping the YZ250, the DR650, and looking for a touring motorcycle. The more I look at the Vstrom the more I like it, especially the new, totally loaded Vstrom 650xt for less than $9K. Decisions, decisions.....
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Adventure Touring Motorcycles

@Garbanzo's brother has quite a bit of experience with the 650 and 1000. He would be one to talk to. I personally would not choose the 650.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    @Garbanzo's brother has quite a bit of experience with the 650 and 1000. He would be one to talk to. I personally would not choose the 650.
    I keep coming back to the 650. The only advantage I see to the 1000 is the power but I'm worried it'll sacrifice off road capability. I've seen people picking up those big bikes in the washes and it does not look fun. Even though the weight difference is only 473 to 502 I've seen and sat on them both in person and the 1000 is noticeably bulkier. I'm still deciding, it doesn't help that the 1000 is almost $4K more than the 650.

I have begun looking also at the BMW 800GS, seems it might be in the middle. Weighs the same as the 650 (470#) but......it starts @$12K bare. The Vstrom 650XT, fully loaded with adventure crash bars and panniers, is $9,600. The same loaded Vstrom 1000 is $14,200. I REALLY like that the GS800 has a 21" front wheel.

I can rent, a day at a time, any GS model here in Vegas for $130. I'm thinking it may be worth it to rent the 800 one day and the 1200 the next and see what I think.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Yes I would rent and give them a go. I have a 1200 and I have very rarely had to pick it up in the dirt... :p

Even though the dream is to really get off road on your new Adventure Bike, the reality is you will spend most of your time on road. You already have two bikes to cover the dirt spectrum. Get the bike that is the most comfortable for your travels, not for it's dirt worthiness. It won't be long until you are making longer and longer travels - and 600+ miles days do not go great on the smaller/lighter bikes. It's great to have the ability to run some off pavement segments while out on a trip, and well worth having the machine to do it, but a hundred miles of dirt on a 4000 mile trip isn't worth the smaller engine or saving a few pounds.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Honda NC700X

v strom 650 xt adventure touring package

bicycle trailer for motorcycle

triumph tiger 800 xc forum