Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure Touring Motorcycles

Adventure Touring Motorcycles

BMW is the staple for sure but?
    There times when you just want to roll.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r97ZlWTlSw
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

1290 Super Adventure...

For me it depends on how much Tarmac I'm going to do vs. dirt. Is the KTM as comfortable on road as the BMW?

My vote for my type of riding (90/10 road) is BMW.

I've been doing a lot of research on these bikes lately and including the Vstrom. My research shows that the KTM is a far more capable bike in the dirt but is nowhere near as comfortable on the road as the BMW. This is confirmed with a friend that has the adventure 1190. We ride together sometimes, me on my DR, my buddy on a GS 800, and the other on his super nice and fancy 1190 (all the bells and whistles). Obviously on the roads my DR is a pain and they are cruising along in heaven but as soon as we hit dirt the DR is the clear winner and the 1190 is 2nd (but that guy is far more dirt capable than the guy on the 800). They all seem fun and I'm leaning towards the Vstrom 1000. Almost exclusively because of its price compared to the others and its tarmac strengths.

Name:  2014-Suzuki-VStrom-1000f.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  49.7 KB
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Then I'm going to do this....

Name:  1059057110_4yeXB-L.jpg
Views: 1797
Size:  285.6 KB
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I just want to go

I would give the super tenere a look. I didn't know that you can't turn the abs off though...

I did look at it briefly but it lacks the looks of the others in the category. Looks like a modified sport bike that could maybe do some dirt. But I'm still comparing and trying to decide. I'm buying a new bike in May for my 40th birthday so I'm starting to run out of time. It's my mid life crisis.

The cruise control is nice though...but that big 'ole display looks hideous.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Looks are for candy asses and machines are for those of us that want to ride. My 2012 500xc-w has smoked many of KLR's on pavement not to mention dirt. That is not the problem the problem is you buy one for what it is designed for and it is full of short for the rest. Every machine is built for a purpose and very few will do what say an XR will do or BMw will do or KTM will do. THere is no magic bike. But an XR650R will get you closer than most. My 500 took down 5 KLR's and I would have passed the last one with knobbs on on pavement in the twisties but I was within 100 yrds of campground and rolled right up his ass doing so. His is a 2014 black KLR with street tires.. Up east of Zions. I had to make mine street leagle as it don't come that way. Great desert bike though.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

I agree, They look good but they have no real reports that would suggest the money is what you get. At least the Sukes have a bit of rep. not much for off road but they have been around for awhile.

Hey I'm still trying to figure out what the hell the doohikie fix is? But I have heard stay away from the 1000 and go 650 zuki.

14. Likes double moo liked this post
    BMW has a 700 that gets great milage but do they haul anything?

I'm just in the will it haul it and gas milage and fun factor. After all i am only doing the speed limit on my way to fun.
    Cost is real, Handling is real, Milages is real, Long term is real, Reliability is a must.

THe BMW F700gs is the 800 with the engine detuned and a shorter less dirt worthy suspension. Both use the same 798cc motor - 75 hp in the 700, 85 in th 800. Go with the 8. Nice bikes, but a lot less road comfortable than their big brother the 1200.

I still like the Wee strom for this range. My son had one, it was a great bike, seemed a little short until he swapped out for the 1000 seat - same frame, taller seat, bigger engine. (this was on the last model, not the new ones)

The 700 is a girls bike.

Here it is!

I have been wanting another street bike for a long while. Have very small budget and will likely ride 100% pavement. Probably pick up a 700

Maybe this.

I hear the Honda 700 is rather anemic. Wait unil the next gen Africa Twin comes out...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    Looks are for candy asses and machines are for those of us that want to ride. My 2012 500xc-w has smoked many of KLR's on pavement not to mention dirt. That is not the problem the problem is you buy one for what it is designed for and it is full of short for the rest. Every machine is built for a purpose and very few will do what say an XR will do or BMw will do or KTM will do. THere is no magic bike. But an XR650R will get you closer than most. My 500 took down 5 KLR's and I would have passed the last one with knobbs on on pavement in the twisties but I was within 100 yrds of campground and rolled right up his ass doing so. His is a 2014 black KLR with street tires.. Up east of Zions. I had to make mine street leagle as it don't come that way. Great desert bike though.
    I'll still have my YZ250 and my DR650 which is just as dirt capable as an XR. I rode an XR a few times back in '09 when I was buying my first dual sport and I wasn't impressed. This new purchase is for a touring motorcycle, something that is a 80/20 or 90/10 street/dirt ratio. Currently I use my DR for this but it's far too much of a dirt machine to really handle the freeways well. It's not bad, I ride it to work 2-3 times a week, but for anything longer than 50 miles at freeway speeds it can be unbearable. I want something that can handle the freeways at good speeds, pack a bunch of camping gear, and still be able to handle the normal dirt roads and such. I'm not a fan of the BMW's, I've decided I can't stand the outrigger look nor do I want to plop down $15K. All these machines we've been talking about will do that and I would argue they are all probably capable of anything I'll throw at them. Which leaves price and looks. I want a motorcycle that speaks to me, something that I like to see and then want to ride. Currently I like the Vstrom looks the best followed by the KTM 1190.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    THe BMW F700gs is the 800 with the engine detuned and a shorter less dirt worthy suspension. Both use the same 798cc motor - 75 hp in the 700, 85 in th 800. Go with the 8. Nice bikes, but a lot less road comfortable than their big brother the 1200.

I still like the Wee strom for this range. My son had one, it was a great bike, seemed a little short until he swapped out for the 1000 seat - same frame, taller seat, bigger engine. (this was on the last model, not the new ones)
    I'm so torn between the 650 and 1000. I've sat on both and they are both nice and comfortable. I think the 650 would be a far more dirt capable machine than the 1000 but the 1000 would be much better and stable on the tarmac. I love the price of the 650, especially the new ones with the nice new instrument cluster!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Honda NC700X

v strom 650 xt adventure touring package

bicycle trailer for motorcycle

triumph tiger 800 xc forum