Thread: Behunin or Buhannin Canyon?

Blog Entries

Behunin or Buhannin Canyon?

O Ye Wise Ones - which one is it?

On my Sundays, which also happens to coincide with canyoneering planning day, I come across this:

Name:  Capture1.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  208.2 KB

OR

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  121.4 KB

The highlighted in yellow is what I find curious.

You guys know how the community is obsessed with Canyons Names (IE. Starfish vs Keyhole Canyon, Klaiedscope vs Choprock Canyon, Edge of the World vs Neon Canyon, Zion vs Zions vs Zionz...and many more! ).

Anyway, here is a new one to add to the mix!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It is curious how names change over time! I would think that in 1938 "Buhannin" was the way Isaac's last name was spelled? When did the ancestors change it to Behunin?

4. Likes jman liked this post
    There is no grey area on this one as Behunin is how it's spelled on the USGS maps.

Actually there is no grey area on the others you mentioned as the alternative names are just some has-beens attempt at cashing in on some past glory that could have been theirs if they had of shared. So to me this is more you made your bed now sleep in it.

YMMV

6. Likes SRG liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Isaac Behunin in his lifetime did not spell his name in a consistent manner. Back In The Day, there was not so much writing, and a lot more talking. So the family may have consistently spoken their last name the same, but not spelled it the same.

I seem to recall that his parents immigrated from Germany, and may not have spoken much English. Isaac may have had a strong accent. Still odd that the plaque makers took that spelling in 1938, a time at which these things were probably sorted out. Musta been before the Interwebs...

Tom

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Isaac Behunin in his lifetime did not spell his name in a consistent manner. Back In The Day, there was not so much writing, and a lot more talking. So the family may have consistently spoken their last name the same, but not spelled it the same.

I seem to recall that his parents immigrated from Germany, and may not have spoken much English. Isaac may have had a strong accent. Still odd that the plaque makers took that spelling in 1938, a time at which these things were probably sorted out. Musta been before the Interwebs...

Tom
    Were Isaac's parent's nice when you met them?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

9. Likes Sombeech, qedcook, Iceaxe, jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

Tom
    Yeah, that is curious to note.

The plaque was installed in 1938, however Isaac died in 1881. That's 57 years later. You would think the plaque makers talked and invited the family to the monument dedication and perhaps the family THEN would have saw the different last name spelling and told them to change it. Perhaps they didn't know how to read it. But this was just 1938. It was a while ago but not THAT long ago. And yes, you would think that "these things were probably sorted out" by then.

Maybe the family was the one who erected it? And that's the way THEY spelled it back then? And the USGS, like Shane was saying, is that this is a moot point since that's the "official" way. But my point was perhaps they spelled it wrong.

As a sidenote: Tom, I like the history portion of your website. Hopefully, other beta providers can follow suit eventually. I'm sure a majority just don't care about canyoneering history; but like you, I am fascinated about the whys, hows, wheres, whens, etc.

Call me CrAzY, but it adds to *MY* canyoneering experience to know the history. And when it ADDS to the experience, it makes me want to be more delicate and respectful of the canyons (and environment) that I tread through.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Were Isaac's parent's nice when you met them?
    Wow. Burn.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Maybe the family was the one who erected it? And that's the way THEY spelled it back then?
    The historical marker was placed there by the DUP (Daughters of Utah Pioneers).

Name:  DUP.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  29.3 KB

http://www.dupinternational.org/subp...ers_byArea.php

If you get to the big city, you could stop by the DUP Museum and they might have Isaac's history on file.

I too, enjoy reading historical information about areas I hike, canyoneer, and ride. Kelsey's area specific books are loaded with history.

The plaque was installed in 1938, however Isaac died in 1881. That's 57 years later. You would think the plaque makers talked and invited the family to the monument dedication and perhaps the family THEN would have saw the different last name spelling and told them to change it.
    Why? If Isaac Behunin spelled his name differently throughout his life, it means that both are correct (or incorrect if you will).

This is not a unique situation. Before the implementation of Social Security, it was very common to have different spellings names within the family, especially for immigrants.

For example, Smith, Schmidt, Smythe, and Smyth can be all the same family and spelled differently by different family members, or even the same member of the family over time. I assume that anyone who has ever done anything related to family history has run into this.

It is very common among place names as well. Sometimes it was a mistake, or probably a mistake (such as Ryder Canyon, Millard Canyon, Swazys Leap, Hahns Peak, etc.), and sometimes it is because a person used various spellings of his or her own name.

Before the implementation of Social Security, the question often isn't "which name is correct?", but "which names are correct?".

Just because there are more than one different spellings of Behunin, does not mean that one has to be wrong. Now days, people generally spell their name the same throughout their life (except for changing their names with marriage, etc.) and the same way as their parents, but this wasn't always the case in the past.

I don't know how he spelled his name at what ages, but hypothetically, if he spelled his name at age 30 as Behunin and at age 50 as Buhannin, and the USGS used one spelling at one age and the plaque at another, it doesn't mean that one is wrong. If however, he didn't use one of those spellings, then it would be wrong.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Why? If Isaac Behunin spelled his name differently throughout his life, it means that both are correct (or incorrect if you will).

This is not a unique situation. Before the implementation of Social Security, it was very common to have different spellings names within the family, especially for immigrants.

For example, Smith, Schmidt, Smythe, and Smyth can be all the same family and spelled differently by different family members, or even the same member of the family over time. I assume that anyone who has ever done anything related to family history has run into this.

It is very common among place names as well. Sometimes it was a mistake, or probably a mistake (such as Ryder Canyon, Millard Canyon, Swazys Leap, Hahns Peak, etc.), and sometimes it is because a person used various spellings of his or her own name.

Before the implementation of Social Security, the question often isn't "which name is correct?", but "which names are correct?".
    I agree with what you are saying.

I just thought it was interesting at the start to have one org spell it Buhannin and the USGS spell it Behunin. And this was not that long ago. Do I care in the end, no. Will names be changed? no. Does the USGS care? No. Will Isaacs ancestors care? No. Will it change Zion canyoneering? No. Lol.

But is it interesting? yes...well....maybe...just to three people (Bo, sandstone addiction and myself). :P

I have done family history for my dad's side (as they came across from Sweden and oh man... the Johnson variations! Johnson. Johnsen. Johnsten. Johnstone. Jonsen. Johansen. Such a pain trying to match the correct children (especially married daughters) with the correct parents!!
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

15. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post