Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elephant Butte

Elephant Butte

My buddy did Elephant Butte yesterday. The sand dune that you ascend to get onto the slick rock to get up to the first rappel has shifted. He said he had to do a life threatening jump to get up onto the rock.
    Mark.

2. Likes jman liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Sweet!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

No not sweet. It's a nice family route.

6. Likes Canyonbug liked this post
    Got any pics? I'm having a hard time visualizing this in my head.

I know exactly where he is talking but I'm having a hard time imagining there is not a simple alternative method. I'm thinking a shoulder stand to get someone up on the slickrock. Once you get someone on the slickrock the rest is simple.

I have no clue how experienced Mark's friend is but this sounds like the typical problems I hear from less experienced canyoneers. I'll bet soon as a skilled canyoneer tackles the route the problem is quickly solved with a simple solution.

9. Likes Canyonbug liked this post
    I did this route on Valentines Day and it was nice. No problems, must be all the new moisture to this area that washed out some of the sand there.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

His climbing skills are better then mine. Which isnt much. From what he said he had to get up on a fin and jump onto the slick rock area. Said it was very sketchy. Others may not have any problem just passing on what he said.

I'll see if he's got any pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    His climbing skills are better then mine. Which isnt much.
    Climbing skills and problem solving skills are two different things. Often one came be substituted for the other, but not always.

I was in Moab all weekend, wish I had of known and we would have walked up and looked at the problem. I really like solving this type of puzzle.

I have a great picture of the area, I just can't find it. I wasted an hour today looking for it.

This video shows one second of the sand.

Shane it shows it in your climb utah video.

I called Tad. Says it's 15 ft almost straight up. It was also wet. If dry and had on 5 10s says might go up. But no way in the shoes they were wearing. He pinched his way up the left about 10 ft. Crossed out to middle on a sliver. Then had to make a 5 ft commitment jump up to get up. Penalty points high he said.

This video shows one second of the sand.
    Shane it shows it in your climb utah video.
    I saw the video, but I don't notice anything unusual (I have done Elephant Butte several times). What is the time where the place is shown on the video? Is it at 0:39?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I assume this is the sand hill that has now shifted? Just quickly looking at the picture without the sandhill the first thing that comes to mind is a pack toss or a couple pot shots. I also see lots of features that a happy hooker (hook on the end of an avalanche probe) could reach up and grab. With all those features a couple hooks with etrier's would probably make quick work of the wall. If skilled canyoneers can get out of 20' deep potholes while treading water a 15' wall standing on solid ground while warm and cozy should be a piece of cake.

Name:  elephant01.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  51.4 KB

edited
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If skilled canyoneers can get out of 20' deep potholes while treading water a 15' wall standing on solid ground while warm and cozy should be a piece of cake.
    Not to mention, if you don't make it, no biggie.

Almost looks like a traverse in from the left up that little fin might work? I need to do this hike...!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Not to mention, if you don't make it, no biggie.
    Good point.

If you can't make it you lose 30 minutes of your life that you'll never get back.

OK, it was at a different place I was thinking so I edited my previous post.

The sand dune was there last time I climbed the butte. Here's a photograph of it:

It seemed trivial at the time and most of the obstacles were higher up:

I've climb Elephant Butte with snow and ice before. That's a huge step up in skill level. Sweet that you made it.