Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moab area May 31-June 2

half hearted enthusiast Kashmire's Avatar

Moab area May 31-June 2

I am looking for an experienced canyoneer to accompany my son (Zayne) and I (Travis) thru a canyon or two. We are new to canyoneering but will have done a guided tour by this time. So a basic foundation of fundamentals will have already been laid. I'm not the kind of guy who expects something for nothing so I can offer dinner and drinks afterwards plus I have a strong back for carrying gear. I also own enough gear for Zayne and myself already. Helmets, harnesses, 60m 9.2 static canyon rope (edelweiss), 60m 6mm pull cord (imlay), 30m tubular webbing, plenty of prusik materials, biners, an atc-xp, petzl pirranah, shoes, water bottles/filter, compass... I intend to get more biners and some rapp rings as I have been practicing different retrieval techniques. I own a fiddlestick as well but as advised will plan to use only when/if necessary.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A little more about myself... don't let the stupid screen name fool you... I am a grown man, though rarely willing to admit it!... I have a degree in conservation biology but work as an industrial maint. Tech. I have two awesome kids and a whole self sustaining farm operation in the making (chickens, goats, ducks, garden, etc...) I love the outdoors and nature. IMO there is nothing more hardcore and manly than the skills it takes to do canyons, bag peaks, "survive" in nature. I often plan my solo backpacking trips during winter (Midwest winters are no joke) on purpose to hone my skills. I love the challenge!.. recently my son has been joining me and I offer a 1000% of encouragement for that. I'm of the belief that our young people should be educated about the wild places before they don't exist! Anybody who may be interested in helping us achieve a safer understanding of the craft/hobby/ Art of canyoneering please let me know!!!

4. Likes Slot Machine, Absolute Gravity liked this post
    If I was going to be around Moab that time, I would take you up on this... alas I won't be. I would even show you the Fiddlestick/Smooth Operator and think you would like it. Good luck and congrats on getting your screen name changed..

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I would go with you but I committed those very days to a guy who goes by "buster high man"
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

7. Likes Iceaxe, deagol liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    I would go with you but I committed those very days to a guy who goes by "buster high man"
    Buster's out Kashmire is in!

9. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    While looking around, which routes have you found the most interesting?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    While looking around, which routes have you found the most interesting?
    I found one I think would would be good for my boy and I called "Professor Creek" couple little rappels but a lot of water fun that isn't too deep. I also liked Elephant Butte, Arches N.P. but worry it may be too hot. Entrajo Canyon but I didn't know if that was too much water. I also had in my notes Winter Camp, Arches N.P. These are all 3A canyons but according to circle of friends they are fairly straight forward and the anchors are all mostly established. (So no need to go to hell and get made fun of by Hitler).

I found one I think would would be good for my boy and I called "Professor Creek" couple little rappels but a lot of water fun that isn't too deep.

It should be nice that time of year. I haven't done it for 13 years, but 13 years ago the last anchor was tricky and probably still can be. You have to be careful not to mess up the scene and leave webbing visible from below. It would be a good idea to go with someone proficient in anchoring. Other than that, the canyon should be a good one, but get an early start on the approach since it will be hot.

I also liked Elephant Butte, Arches N.P. but worry it may be too hot.

It's another good one if you have someone fairly experienced along. It's short enough that you can get an early start and do it before it gets hot. You can spend the afternoon when it's hot in lower Courthouse Wash, which has nice running water, some pools, and tiny waterfalls.

Entrajo Canyon but I didn't know if that was too much water.
    What would be considered to be too much water? Does your kid know how to swim?

I also had in my notes Winter Camp, Arches N.P.
    Personally, I wouldn't head out there that time of year. It's a dry and hot area. I'm sure you already know, but it's a couple hours from Moab as well.

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

It should be nice that time of year. I haven't done it for 13 years, but 13 years ago the last anchor was tricky and probably still can be. You have to be careful not to mess up the scene and leave webbing visible from below. It would be a good idea to go with someone proficient in anchoring. Other than that, the canyon should be a good one, but get an early start on the approach since it will be hot.

It's another good one if you have someone fairly experienced along. It's short enough that you can get an early start and do it before it gets hot. You can spend the afternoon when it's hot in lower Courthouse Wash, which has nice running water, some pools, and tiny waterfalls.

What would be considered to be too much water? Does your kid know how to swim?

Personally, I wouldn't head out there that time of year. It's a dry and hot area. I'm sure you already know, but it's a couple hours from Moab as well.

Yeah Professor looked like the best candidate that and Elephant Butte were the two circled on my list. I actually just looked again at Entrajo's discription and it was the "3B rating" I had questions about but after watching the video again I think I am getting it mixed with something else. It actually looks fun and doable for him. He can swim he isn't a super strong swimmer though so I didn't want to make him for too long of period, plus he'll have his lil pack with water and harness (he wants his own to carry). I have to admit that getting stuck in a pothole in a canyon in the desert with my son is my biggest fear! I'm not sure why I have no frame of reference but still scared. (I've had nightmares) Just read about two experienced guys drowning in Chop Rock. It's incredibly humbling and I am already a super humble guy! This shits for real and I take it seriously we want to live to tell about it. Shit we've already started planning our next trip (Probably to the Pacific Northwest).

What Scott said, plus....

Put Entrajo near the top of your list. It might be the best noob friendly June canyon in Moab. And you can skip the final rappel and pool if you want to make it even easier. The route should only be waist deep wading if you skip the final rappel and pool. The swim is only about 5 yards if you don't skip it.

U-Turn is another very noob friendly canyon. Just do it in the morning before it gets hot.

Sweet! U-Turn looks awesome! Hey the Canyon I am booked to do is called "Land Before Time" I cant really find any info on it. You guys know anything about it? I know the number and lengths of rappels and that it is a 5-6 hour day, but not much else. Entrajo sounds like a winner then too. I'll be putting something solid together soon and I have been contacted by quite a few peeps that may be interested in coming along so for the most part this trip is coming together nicely with all of you guys' help.

Land Before Time is "Rock of Ages". Some of the local guide services change the commonly excepted names for a multiple of reasons, the biggest being so it sounds like they have a unique and special route.

Time seems to have came to a stop... I am chomping at the bit so bad for this trip!... Man I am excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Land Before Time is "Rock of Ages". Some of the local guide services change the commonly excepted names for a multiple of reasons, the biggest being so it sounds like they have a unique and special route.
    Rock of Ages is a rocking name.

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmire View Post
    Yeah Professor looked like the best candidate that and Elephant Butte were the two circled on my list. I actually just looked again at Entrajo's discription and it was the "3B rating" I had questions about but after watching the video again I think I am getting it mixed with something else. It actually looks fun and doable for him. He can swim he isn't a super strong swimmer though so I didn't want to make him for too long of period, plus he'll have his lil pack with water and harness (he wants his own to carry). I have to admit that getting stuck in a pothole in a canyon in the desert with my son is my biggest fear! I'm not sure why I have no frame of reference but still scared. (I've had nightmares) Just read about two experienced guys drowning in Chop Rock. It's incredibly humbling and I am already a super humble guy! This shits for real and I take it seriously we want to live to tell about it. Shit we've already started planning our next trip (Probably to the Pacific Northwest).
    PNW is a whole different animal then Moab. If you head up there you better have your Shizz together. Or hire Desert Highlights I think they guide up there. Go look up Colombia River Gorge Trip report I posted a few years ago on bogley

http://canyoneeringnorthwest.com/

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    PNW is a whole different animal then Moab. If you head up there you better have your Shizz together. Or hire Desert Highlights I think they guide up there. Go look up Colombia River Gorge Trip report I posted a few years ago on bogley

http://canyoneeringnorthwest.com/
    Yeah different temperate zone, type of parent rock, etc... I don't think we will be Canyoneering specifically... we have some land traverse type adventures planned for up there... "A to B" type land nav practice incorporated into technical rope skills... its an Idea I have been refining for a couple years I know this is a Canyoneering forum, I was just mentioning that we were planning another trip

Heaven forbid somebody get off topic on this forum.

I'm very anxious for this trip... I feel like time has slowed down!...

About 4 weeks out... anybody else interested in joining us?... Thinking entrajo, professor, u-turn and/or Elephant butte