Thread: Bluugnome & Pinecreek Canyon

Blog Entries

Bluugnome & Pinecreek Canyon

I was just checking out Bluugnome for some beta for a upcoming trip and came across this "Announcement" from Luke:

"12-03-14
    Updated Pine Creek Canyon in Zion. A drop that has been a downclimb for each time I had visited is now a 30 foot rappel. As it turns out there has been a glue in anchor for this drop but I have never noticed it. Now that sand has washed out the 6 foot downclimb is now about 30 feet and uses the glue in anchor."

I have done Pinecreek 5x since 2001 (my canyoneering birthday) and don't recall this downclimb which is now a 30ft rappel. Where is this rap at? Is it near the beginning?

"Curious minds would like to know" as Tom likes to say.

Thanks!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I know where the glue-in is because it was a required rappel up to about 2002, at least I know where it is if we are talking the same anchor. It's near the end of the slot section. You would not see the glue-in if you did not know where to look as it is high on the north wall and you had to climb on top of a boulder to reach it. That rappel always had really crappy bolted anchors until someone (I think it was Tom) installed a nice glue-in. About a month after the nice anchor was installed a big flood rearranged the lower section of Pine Creek and washed out two required rappels including the one with the just installed glue-in.

If Luke is talking about the same glue-in I know about than the downclimb mentioned is the one at 2:34 in the video.

Blog Entries
    So is Luke saying at 2:34 in your video, is now a 30ft rappel?

That's quite the sand and rock removal!!

Of course, if that's the glue-in we are talking about...
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

That's where it used to be. What is the down climb clogs with debris. It's not in the video but you go under a huge boulder (just past the video) and the glue-in is on top of the boulder. LDC you climb up the left side of the boulder, walk across the boulder which forms a bridge over the canyon and the bolts are on the right wall. The rap deposits you in a pool that is often a swim.

If I had a picture from further down canyon looking backwards it would be easy to see.

There are a couple other hidden anchors in Pine Creek but that's the only one that makes sense to me.

Blog Entries
    Ok I see...

Interesting.

When I get home, I'll need to look at my Pinecreek pics and do some comparisons.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Rich Carlson installed that glue-in AFAIK. Good to see it's needed again as its former useful life was only about 1 season or so.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Rich Carlson installed that glue-in AFAIK. Good to see it's needed again as its former useful life was only about 1 season or so.
    Nah, t'was Tom and I. Jay Z loaned us the kit. We traded off on drilling...that drill bit was 5/8" I dimly recall. Huge hole. Glue in. Bomber.

Funny it's coming back into usefulness...

A rapide and ring added would be nice if it becomes the popular rappel option.

10. Likes hank moon, ratagonia, Taylor liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Nah, t'was Tom and I. Jay Z loaned us the kit. We traded off on drilling...that drill bit was 5/8" I dimly recall. Huge hole. Glue in. Bomber.

Funny it's coming back into usefulness...

A rapide and ring added would be nice if it becomes the popular rappel option.
    It is the last rappel in the main section of canyon, before coming out into the sun (usually, not today).

Tom