Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery Canyon

when we did it, we did the hike. It was a cool part of the experience (even though it was %^&* hot). Amazing views...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Actually everyone should consider doing the hike up at least once, it is a nice hike. But I've now done that hike at least a dozen times, so I've already had my turn in the barrel. Also now days when I do Mystery I tend to have beginner's and/or kids along so I like to make the route as enjoyable as possible for them. The fastest way to turn beginners or kids off of the sport is to make it really difficult for them.

4. Likes mzamp, Bclark29 liked this post
    I did this with my wife last year and we used the shuttle service. It made for a nice and enjoyable day. It was also full so I just put up the video of the lake section. I was very surprised to see so much water. The original video was 8 minutes to cross that section.

6. Likes Bclark29 liked this post
    ^^^ It's extremely rare to see that much water.

wow, a lot of dead vegetation in the water through that section...

when we did it, it was bone-dry, hot, and sandy...

Whenever we reach the lake and it's full of water I start talking about alligators, for some strange reason that seems to ramp up some folks pucker factor as they swim and wade through the vegetation.

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    wow, a lot of dead vegetation in the water through that section...
    The vegetation was not dead it was covered in mud. It was green under the mud. If I remember correctly this was about 5 days after a hard rain. So everything that looks brown was under water. It was about 4 ft higher before we went through.

interesting.. could not tell from the vid. So, the water was that high a few days before.. crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Whenever we reach the lake and it's full of water I start talking about alligators, for some strange reason that seems to ramp up some folks pucker factor as they swim and wade through the vegetation.
    I said to my wife I thought it looked like something you would see in a nature show about the Amazon. Hopefully we don't see an Anaconda in here

Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post
    I said to my wife I thought it looked like something you would see in a nature show about the Amazon. Hopefully we don't see an Anaconda in here
    I did notice you sent your wife first just in case.

I think the combo platter (echo/mystery) may be the funest way...although I have not done it, that is what I would probably do the next time I do Mystery.

15. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    I think the combo platter (echo/mystery) may be the funest way...although I have not done it, that is what I would probably do the next time I do Mystery.
    That works great for a small group of experienced canyoneers, but not so well if you have a weak link in the group. Also, with the way the permit system is these days pulling the proper permits for those two canyon on the same day would be a major feat in itself.