Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: going to moab in June. I've never been there before... Anything too good to miss?

I think the reason routes like U-Turn and Teirdrop are so popular is that they are so convenient.
    I agree. I was just using the canyons for comparison. They aren't bad routes and the views are good.

Swimming the Colorado is a huge riff-raff barrier to your typical Moab canyoneer and I'm assuming Bull Canyon also requires a shuttle.
    You could use a shuttle (we didn't), but it's not a long road walk/bike. In summer, we could wade half way across and then do the swim, which was refreshing since it was on a hot July 4th day. The river would be higher in June.

I just mentioned as a good summer one in case anyone is interested since many Moab routes are not pleasant then (I assume June might be too early for Pleiades). Personally, I think you would like the route, but those do don't like the Moab canyons wouldn't. I just made it as a suggestion for summer, but no one has to do it.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks Scott and Shane. I'm a big fan of climb-Utah, and already a member. I'll wait for Shane to update the site :)

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

Think of a new screen name (worthy of a grown man and this forum) and I will welcome you to Bogley.

Buster - you shouldn't give a rat's ass if Slot Machine here "welcomes" you to Bogley or not. Homeboy seems to derive way too much of his self-identity from being a wannabe badass canyoneer whose main contributions seem to be arrogance and contrived pedantry. Most of the people on here are pretty welcoming - you learn to tune out SM's noise pretty quickly.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

I plan to be in Moab March 7th and 8th doing some canyons and rock art that I can add to Climb-Utah.com. If anyone wants to join us for a route or two let me know. A couple of the routes I want to do require a car shuttle so an additional body or two would be helpful as well as welcome. These would all be routes and rock art not yet on my website.

half hearted enthusiast Kashmire's Avatar
    I am looking forward to the rappels really, I mean I have spent the last 3 months buying gear for my son and myself. We want to use it! However, we are beginners and I don't feel 100% comfortable doing anything too technical (pothole escape, deep water, etc...) especially with my son. We are signed up to do "Land Before Time Canyon" with a guide, but we will be down there for like 10 days and would like to venture out a bit on our own. So bull canyon sounds cool we'll look into it. I have some general maps of Canyonlands NP and Glen Canyon Wilderness Area, but cant find much info on any potential spots to go. Does that area have any good ones?

Wish I could! Iowa is 18 hrs away. I'll check Climb-Utah.com. out, Is the "circle of friends" where to go for maps and route descriptions?

Approximately 40% of Climb-Utah.com is free. The remaining 60% is pay-per-view, which is accessed by a Circle of Friends membership.

With the "Circle of Friends" membership, are there more technical canyon maps available? Something that lists rappel sizes and presence of potholes and whatnot.

A circle of friends membership gets you complete maps, GPS waypoints, detailed route descriptions driving directions, required ropes and any special instructions required. In short it gives anyone with a little commonsense everything they need to know about the route.

11. Likes hikster11 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster High man View Post
    I am looking forward to the rappels really, I mean I have spent the last 3 months buying gear for my son and myself. We want to use it! However, we are beginners and I don't feel 100% comfortable doing anything too technical (pothole escape, deep water, etc...) especially with my son. We are signed up to do "Land Before Time Canyon" with a guide, but we will be down there for like 10 days and would like to venture out a bit on our own. So bull canyon sounds cool we'll look into it. I have some general maps of Canyonlands NP and Glen Canyon Wilderness Area, but cant find much info on any potential spots to go. Does that area have any good ones?
    Which guide Service are you going with?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    A circle of friends membership gets you complete maps, GPS waypoints, detailed route descriptions driving directions, required ropes and any special instructions required. In short it gives anyone with a little commonsense everything they need to know about the route.
    Awesome! that's exactly what I'm looking for! With the best maps I've found online so far I still felt like I was going in blind. 70,000:1 is the most detailed I have found so far, granted I haven't searched too hard yet I'm still 3 months out.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Which guide Service are you going with?
    Windgate Adventures... I found their website to be very user friendly! the canyons all have pretty detailed descriptions, as far as how many rappels and how big they are. "Eric" got back to me pretty quick. I hope I made a good choice, so far I think I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster High man View Post
    We are signed up to do "Land Before Time Canyon" with a guide,
    Also known as Rock of Ages and Pool Arch. It's a fun route.

Rock of Ages
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/rockofages.htm

Here is a video of the canyon from the last Moab Bogley-fest. Lot's of Bogley members in this video.

So Commercial Guides can take groups thru the Furnace but they can't take Canyoneers? I'll bet there were some heated conversations between Matt and the Park when they kicked them out.

they charge $90 ???
    "This is the only area in Arches that requires a professional guide. "

it's been several years since I have been in the FF, but if the above is correct, you can't go in there by yourself anymore (even after getting the permit) ??

Is this for real? I thought that guiding in ANP was illegal...

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  105.5 KB
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Where are you guys seeing commercial guiding is allowed inside the Fiery Furnace?

according to this from the ANP website

http://www.nps.gov/arch/learn/photos...ermitvideo.htm

Deserts are a lot more fragile and full of life than you might expect. The Fiery Furnace is a particularly special place within Arches National Park, which requires a ranger-led tour or special day-use permit to visit.

All persons entering the Fiery Furnace on a day-use hiking permit are required to watch this video at Arches Visitor Center at the time the permit is obtained. Please note: watching it online in advance will not waive that requirement.

something seems strange...

Where are you guys seeing commercial guiding is allowed inside the Fiery Furnace?
    look at the webpage Blake posted above..
    http://windgateadventures.com/fiery-furnace/

You guys have me lost... snd I'm on my phone so I can't do a lot of searching... but I can tell you commercial guiding is not allowed inside Arches. I'm not sure what you are reading but it's in error or you are misinterpreting

...... I'm not sure what you are reading but it's in error or you are misinterpreting

It's from the Wingate Adventures website:

Fiery Furnace Guided Hike in Arches National Park

$90 per person (2 person minimum, 15 person maximum)

15% additional charge for a chartered private tour. Group rates available, Please call (435) 260-9802

The Fiery Furnace is an intricate maze of thin sandstone formations creating narrow slot style canyons. This is the only area in Arches that requires a professional guide. There is no trail and you are encouraged to accompany your guide both for your safety and to diminish impacts on the delicate landscape you will be traveling through.

they also have a rate for taking people rappelling off of Corona Arch
    http://windgateadventures.com/rates/