Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: going to moab in June. I've never been there before... Anything too good to miss?

half hearted enthusiast Kashmire's Avatar

going to moab in June. I've never been there before... Anything too good to miss?

So my 9 year old son and I are going to Moab, UT May 28th-June 2nd. We are signed up for a guided canyon tour and also plan to visit Arches and Canyonlands N.P. areas. Any suggestions of other somewhat technical but mostly dry canyons we can explore?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Buster High man View Post
    So my 9 year old son and I are going to Moab, UT May 28th-June 2nd. We are signed up for a guided canyon tour and also plan to visit Arches and Canyonlands N.P. areas. Any suggestions of other somewhat technical but mostly dry canyons we can explore?
    Yikes. A dad with that screen name... reeeeaaaaalllllly?

I refuse to share knowledge with anyone who thinks of himself as Buster High Man.

Think of a new screen name (worthy of a grown man and this forum) and I will welcome you to Bogley.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

4. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Any suggestions of other somewhat technical but mostly dry canyons we can explore?
    You don't want mostly dry that time of year. Chances are it will be hot and miserable in dry areas, except in the early morning. Go for places that have water.

Fins and Things Slot isn't very technical (but still required basic rappel skills) and you can swim in the pools of Mill Creek on the way out. You can visit Professor Creek as well. Bull Canyon (the one above Moab along the Colorado, not the one below Moab) has only one rappel and you get to swim the Colorado (with life jackets). Also, lower Courthouse Wash, Negro Bill, and all of Mill Creek can be nice then.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

The fact that you presume to know anything about me or my Screen name shines light on how judgmental and arrogant you are! I for one could care less if you approve sir! Good day to you
    "Big Shot"

Awesome thanks Iceaxe!

In hot weather we usually do a canyon or hike in the cool early morning and head to one of the links I posted above in the heat of the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Yikes. A dad with that screen name... reeeeaaaaalllllly?

I refuse to share knowledge with anyone who thinks of himself as Buster High Man.

Think of a new screen name (worthy of a grown man and this forum) and I will welcome you to Bogley.
    Dang, you are turning into a grumpy old man.... I expect to drive by your house and see you standing out in front yelling at the kids... get off my lawn!

11. Likes DiscGo, xxnitsuaxx liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster High man View Post
    The fact that you presume to know anything about me or my Screen name shines light on how judgmental and arrogant you are! I for one could care less if you approve sir! Good day to you
    "Big Shot"
    Hymen,

I know when I'm watching a dog drag his ass across my carpet with a smirk on his face.

*surprised Ice and Scott are playing along*

TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Dang, you are turning into a grumpy old man.... I expect to drive by your house and see you standing out in front yelling at the kids... get off my lawn!
    ... ... ... that's fair.

The farciness of Bogley is a wonderful thing. However, screen names like C**tface McGee, F***stain, or PowerV**Fister cross the line into the land of 'poor taste'. They seem better suited for fantasy football teams, not this forum, IMO.

I will consider a more suitable name... You have managed to make me laugh from your moral high ground with the cantankerous nature of you opinionated perspective. I believe you are most likely a likeable fella!... I hope you'll continue to give it straight!

15. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    ...F***stain... They seem better suited for league champion fantasy football teams, not this forum, IMO.

I remember that epic 2009 fantasy football season. Man you were awesome!

Name:  al_bundy__4_touchdowns_by_iappeartobespy-d478lye.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  241.2 KB

18. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    "Fins and Things Slot isn't very technical (but still required basic rappel skills) and you can swim in the pools of Mill Creek on the way out. You can visit Professor Creek as well. Bull Canyon (the one above Moab along the Colorado, not the one below Moab) has only one rappel and you get to swim the Colorado (with life jackets). Also, lower Courthouse Wash, Negro Bill, and all of Mill Creek can be nice then."

Where can we get Beta for those canyons? Website? Book?

Where can we get Beta for those canyons? Website? Book?
    It's in the Moab Canyoneering book.

http://stores.sharpendbooks.com/moab...-pre-purchase/
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

IMO better off spending your money on Climb Utah. Get all of Moab plus a ton more. I wasn't that impressed with the Moab Canyoneering Book. YMMV

22. Likes deagol liked this post
    The original question in the post I was responding to was only asking about Fins and Things, but it looks like the post was edited later. Climb-utah doesn't have Fins and Things at this time, thus the book suggestion.

Climb-Utah does have Professor Creek, Lower Courthouse, and Mill Creek.

No website I know of has Bull Canyon (which is strange, because it was the first technical canyon I did in Moab [years ago], and it seems like one of the most obvious technical canyons in the area), but I've made posts with the beta here on Bogley, so anyone who wants to can search for them.

I plan to have Fins-n-Things added to Climb-Utah.com in the next couple of weeks. Everything worthwhile from the book will be on the website in the near future. Not to mention the dozens of items that are not in the book.

As for Bull Canyon, just because it's technical doesn't mean it's good, I figured if it was all that you would be doing yearly laps in the canyon with your family and posting pictures.

As for Bull Canyon, just because it's technical doesn't mean it's good, I figured if it was all that you would be doing yearly laps in the canyon with your family and posting pictures.
    I would say that it's pretty good for a Moab canyon (meaning it isn't as good as the North Wash, Roost, or Zion stuff). I would rate it much better than Cameltoe, better than Tierdrop and U-Turn, but about equal to Dragonfly and not as good as Rock of Ages or Undercover. I think that if you like the Moab canyons, that you would like it. Those who don't like the Moab canyons probably wouldn't like this one either. Perhaps more specifically, if you like Dragonfly, you will probably like Bull, and if don't like Dragonfly, you won't like Bull either.

The reason I haven't done it much is because I am seldom in Moab in summer and I don't swim the Colorado in winter. If you are in Moab in summer, it's probably one of the better choices.

I think the reason routes like U-Turn and Teirdrop are so popular is that they are so convenient. They are only minutes from town and require no car shuttle, 4x4 or other riff-raff. Swimming the Colorado is a huge riff-raff barrier to your typical Moab canyoneer and I'm assuming Bull Canyon also requires a shuttle.

Honestly I've looked at establishing several routes that begin inside Arches and finish by swimming the Colorado. There are several excellent candidates for new routes. But the logistics just didn't make a lot of sense to me and I knew they would never become trade routes no matter how awesome the tech section was. They just require too much trouble.