Thread: Boyscout Canyon NV guessing 3B II

Boyscout Canyon NV guessing 3B II

Hi all,

This is a discussion thread.
    A question for folks who do quite a bit of canyoneering....
    I am not a technical canyoneer. i am not a crag climber. Mostly I scramble peaks and love 2A and 2B canyon scramble descents.
    My question is this.
    I recently descended this canyon, TR here: scrol past the first part on Grapevine petroglyphs to paragraph starting "Feb. 11th".
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-Feb-9-11-2015

I personally was disappointed with all the haphazard and ugly fixed rope rigging in wilderness. Because of such, I purposedly worked to avoid it, and was able to downclimb/upclimb or bypass w/o the use of any of those ropes. There is a 15 foot vertical faced chockstone that was bypassed on the DC left through brush. And, of course, the 300 foot rappel has a class 4 scramble bypass (very fun by the way). Another wet waterfall was slimy but doable. I took a self pic there. I think the gear that helps me most is BlackDiamond or 5.10 sticky rubber approach sneaks.
    You'll notice on downclimbs 1 and 2, before the 300 ft rappel, I pulled up the fixed ropes and re-decended to take photographs because the ropes were so ugly in my pictures.
    What are experienced canyoneers thoughts? I am not advocating the same for Goldspring or AZ Hotspring since they are just too accessible and not in wilderness.
    I'd go back and retrieve it all with the NPS blessing..someday.. I live in WA.
    Thanks,
    John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    This is basically an "Urban" canyon, descended by many people for the hot springs, and not "under the wing" of a Wilderness LNT ethic. So, close your eyes and move along, nothing to see...

Removing the trash ropes would be a vast inconvenience to some people who have no technical or wilderness savvy, and thus it would be a bad idea.

Consider this canyon a sacrifice, given over to the unwashed masses.

Tom

4. Likes harness man liked this post
    They do have two other canyons to go through: AZ Hotspring and Goldstrike, not in wilderness.

Boy Scout Canyon

This canyon is most often done, and on a daily basis, by non canyoneering river runners, coming up from the bottom, and most likely they are the ones who have placed the ropes which are there. The best advice, especially when you are on someone elses turf, is to leave well enough alone, unless you wish to replace what is already there with something better. It is NOT good form to take it upon yourself to start removing rigging which is in place somewhere, just because you can negotiate the drop without it, or you don't think it is needed. Some people thought it was appropriate, which is why its there. Back it off a notch and leave it be.

Trash is trash, it has no place in wilderness or urban environments and should be removed whenever possible. Any other solution or argument is just putting lipstick on a pig.

half hearted enthusiast Kashmire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Trash is trash, it has no place in wilderness or urban environments and should be removed whenever possible. Any other solution or argument is just putting lipstick on a pig.
    Reminds me of a gal I once knew... beautifully heavy, Her skin folded over itself like waves crashing at the shore, Mmmm... the way she got winded ripping open a pack of twinkies.