Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experienced Canyoneer

Experienced Canyoneer

I am heading out to Zion for my first trip, and I want to tackle my first canyon. I have rappelled and climbed quite frequently over the past few years, and I have all my own gear. I just wanted to see if there is anyone who would be willing to take 3 average climbers out in mid march and teach us the basics so we don't kill ourselves or hurt the canyons by using destructive techniques unknowingly. Thank you in advance for any invites, or tips shared in this thread.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bonus points for spelling "rappelled" correctly.

4. Likes jman liked this post

6. Likes deagol liked this post
    I assume you already know, but mid-March is considered to be very early for the Zion canyons. Many of them can and have been done that time of year, but the difficulty level and experience needed is usually higher. It has been a dry year though, so it wouldn't hurt to check on conditions.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

8. Likes Don liked this post
    I had done some research and that was the conclusion I came to for most of the popular canyons. I had narrowed it down to a few I thought might be more accessible during my time frame. I am open to suggestions and any canyon someone would want to lead within the Zion area would be great. The dates I will be there are non-negotiable due to school.

The dates I will be there are non-negotiable due to school.
    Is the location negotiable? If you are new to the sport, there are other areas that typically have easier conditions in mid March. Does it have to be Zion? Some of us may be hesitant to go with someone new to the sport in mid-March in Zion unless we knew of the current conditions for the canyons you plan on doing.

PS, I'd try PMing Tom Jones (if he doesn't post on this thread). He might have better ideas of current conditions in the Zion canyons and can make suggestions.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

11. Likes Don liked this post
    A friend did pine creek last week and said it was warmer than when we did it in April 2 years ago.

Beside the point though...

To the OP:

Zion can be tough this time of year. Do you have wetsuits? When you say "my own gear", what does that mean?

I'm with Scott, thus time of year, there are better places to cut your teeth. May or September are better for Zion.

I appreciate the fact that you seem to want to learn the correct techniques to avoid damaging anything.

What dates are you able to do canyons?

Quote Originally Posted by OuAaron18 View Post
    I am heading out to Zion for my first trip, and I want to tackle my first canyon. I have rappelled and climbed quite frequently over the past few years, and I have all my own gear. I just wanted to see if there is anyone who would be willing to take 3 average climbers out in mid march and teach us the basics so we don't kill ourselves or hurt the canyons by using destructive techniques unknowingly. Thank you in advance for any invites, or tips shared in this thread.
    Which dates?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Thank you for all the useful input! We wil be out there from March 14-19. Any area around Zion would be fantastic as well! We will have wetsuits, rope, descenders, plenty of webbing, Rapides/rap rings, slings, quick draws, lockers, helmets (apparently that's really important to Tom), gloves, and dry bags if necessary. We will purchase or rent any other gear needed. I am really wanting to get into the sport, and I just want to do it right. Not looking to get stuck and die, or worse make someone come rescue us.'

Thank you for all the useful input! We wil be out there from March 14-19. Any area around Zion would be fantastic as well! We will have wetsuits, rope, descenders, plenty of webbing, Rapides/rap rings, slings, quick draws, lockers, helmets (apparently that's really important to Tom), gloves, and dry bags if necessary. We will purchase or rent any other gear needed. I am really wanting to get into the sport, and I just want to do it right. Not looking to get stuck and die, or worse make someone come rescue us.'

Helmets SHOULD be important to everyone...

Where are you coming from?

I planned on wearing a helmet regardless if it was suggested, I had just read a few places Tom was very adamant about helmet usage. I was just referring to that. I'll be driving out from Oklahoma. Plan on doing some climbing and biking as well as hiking in Zion.

I'll be driving out from Oklahoma.
    If you are coming from Oklahoma, have a back up plan just in case conditions in Zion are not ideal. There are plenty of places in Utah where the canyons tend to be drier than those in Zion. There are exceptions, but overall the canyons in the Zion area are much wetter than the slot canyons in many other areas of the state and they tend to hold more snow as well (though this year has been very warm and quite dry).

Zion really is a great place, but for inexperienced canyoneers late spring though fall is the normal season. Places like North Wash or parts of the Roost tend to be drier.

If you are set on Zion, it would be good to check on current conditions before heading out there. Canyons such as Birch Hollow or Behunin might be good. Actually, the harder canyons have been done that time of year as well, but require more experience. As said, Zion is really beautiful. If the conditions happen to be bad by the time you go, have somewhere like North Wash as plan B and you can still have a good trip.

18. Likes Don, Slot Machine liked this post
    We are camping at Zion but planned on venturing out into the surrounding area as well. Thank you for the advice! if canyoneering is to dangerous for beginners that time of year in Zion we will just hike in Zion. I will definitely look into those suggestions!

It sounds like Behunin is pretty dry now:

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...36/#post-88468

Have you considered going with one of the guide companies in Springdale? They can't take you to the canyons in the park, but there are others that they can.
    I want to be the type of person my dog already thinks I am

An experienced climber doesn't need a guide. He just needs good beta and to start with some of the easier canyons.

As for Behunin, I consider it a complete waste of a good day in Zion. There is so much more and better canyons in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    As for Behunin, I consider it a complete waste of a good day in Zion. There is so much more and better canyons in the area.
    I've started referring to Behunin as "Shane's favorite canyon". Ha ha.

For this time of year, its a pretty great gig. Nice loop trip. Great scenery. Easy logistics. Neat features like the oozing water course, some nifty potholes you can avoid, small section of narrows. Fairly complete circumnavigation of the Cathedral/Majestic mesa. Option side trips to Telephone and/or Angel's Landing with a bonus of seeing Emerald Pools area as well.

Hardly a waste of a day in Zion, IMHO.

Anchors are in good shape now. Water low. No wetsuit needed.

25. Likes Taylor liked this post
    If you haven't done behunin before then no it's not a wasted day, it's got some good stuff in it. If you have then Shane is right that there is better stuff out there, although I don't look as poorly on it as Shane does. If you've got the skills/stamina to move fast enough it's a great way to finish the day after doing telephone which is a great canyon IMHO.

27. Likes Bootboy liked this post
    Thank you for all the great suggestions. I am planning on venturing into drier territory possibly the North Wash.