Thread: Guidebook: Rambles & Scrambles

Guidebook: Rambles & Scrambles

I just received the following from Courtney Purcell. His guidebooks are usually some of the best.

Greetings:

I would like to share news of the release of the greatly-expanded second edition of my Las Vegas-focused hiking and scrambling guidebook, 'Rambles & Scrambles: A Peakbagging Guide to the Desert Southwest'. The 403-page guide covers nearly 1,300 routes to almost 950 different peaks across the Desert Southwest. It features maps and lots of photos.

The book will be available via Amazon in the next few days, and perhaps via a few other retailers in the next couple of weeks. You can also order a book directly from me by sending $20 (includes shipping) to Courtney Purcell at:

PO Box 33422
    Las Vegas, NV

Please ensure that you provide a clear shipping address.
    Name:  rambles & scrambles.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  46.4 KB

2. Likes Chivas liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hello Courtney,
    I've done some of the stuff you posted on SP. Loved it: east side Zion and I think some other places as well. Some awesome overlooked and aesthetic scrambles you have recorded. Thanks, glad it is in print.
    I just got back from southern NV to escape our lack of snow here in the PNW. The Muddy Mountains, Clark Mountain (knife edge was fun), Teutonia, and some Northshore of Lake Mead stuff were all impeccable scrambling. I am thinking it will be in the new book! Didn't even get to Red Rock or DV!
    John

5. Likes tanya liked this post
    Bogley BigShot
    I loved hiking with Courtney and DJ! I am excited for this new book! This is my favorite photo of Courtney.

Name:  dpeak-zb.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  73.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    I loved hiking with Courtney and DJ! I am excited for this new book! This is my favorite photo of Courtney.

Name:  dpeak-zb.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  73.9 KB
    Hi Tanya! Can you Guess What Peak your favorite Photo is? I believe you were instrumental in naming it! :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Hi Tanya! Can you Guess What Peak your favorite Photo is? I believe you were instrumental in naming it! :-)
    A couple more pics. One of the approach, and other with a shot of the peak in the background!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Does it begin with a D?

10. Likes tanya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by erial View Post
    Does it begin with a D?
    Yes....one must "D"rive from home to "arrive" at the "D#$+1^@+10^ :-) Yes the peak name begins with the letter "D"!

Bogley BigShot
    Yes. Destination Peak. I was happy to finally get to our dang destination.

Courtney Purcell is a local legend, no doubt about that. I look forward to reading his updated guide!

"From crest of road in Devil Fork Gap (3,107 ft.), enter trail woods. Along ridgecrest, ascend at left of fence, turning right in 100 yds. Follow crest of wooded ridge on left side of fence. At 0.38 m. bear left, downhill, away from crest thru woods. Cross to right of wire fence at 0.49 miles., descending, coming into field with double-blazed REA pole ahead just above road."

The above paragraph is from an old Appalachian Trail guide.

In Courtney's compendium of scrambling routes near and not so near to Las Vegas, a detail like "0.38 m., bear left" is a cairn you just won't encounter. Courtney will provide you with accurate directions to the trailhead (even to the tenth of a mile), but with many of the peaks when it comes to the actual hike to the summit he'll point you in the right direction and exhort you to go get 'em.

For each of these 900 plus peaks, CP does provide an estimate of how long it'll take and the difficulty of the route (Class 1, 2, etc.). This is one big bold book. No unnamed summits either. Well, maybe on the topos, but in the guide, the author bestows monikers to all. I'm really looking forward to ascending Pigs in Zen Peak (3,832) near Nelson someday..

Quote Originally Posted by erial View Post
    "From crest of road in Devil Fork Gap (3,107 ft.), enter trail woods. Along ridgecrest, ascend at left of fence, turning right in 100 yds. Follow crest of wooded ridge on left side of fence. At 0.38 m. bear left, downhill, away from crest thru woods. Cross to right of wire fence at 0.49 miles., descending, coming into field with double-blazed REA pole ahead just above road."

The above paragraph is from an old Appalachian Trail guide.

In Courtney's compendium of scrambling routes near and not so near to Las Vegas, a detail like "0.38 m., bear left" is a cairn you just won't encounter. Courtney will provide you with accurate directions to the trailhead (even to the tenth of a mile), but with many of the peaks when it comes to the actual hike to the summit he'll point you in the right direction and exhort you to go get 'em.

For each of these 900 plus peaks, CP does provide an estimate of how long it'll take and the difficulty of the route (Class 1, 2, etc.). This is one big bold book. No unnamed summits either. Well, maybe on the topos, but in the guide, the author bestows monikers to all. I'm really looking forward to ascending Pigs in Zen Peak (3,832) near Nelson someday..
    That Appalachian Trail quote reads a bit like Branch Whitney's beta. I regard CP's as far superior, and have used it on a number of occasions (usually his old summitpost.org posts). Just ordered my copy of his updated guidebook! Can't wait!