Thread: Better Call Saul

Better Call Saul

The newest brainchild of Vince Gilligan, a prequel to Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul started up a week ago to almost unanimous praise by critics.

It gets off to a much slower start than Breaking Bad did, but the character outlines and narrative make up for the sluggish start. And as an added bonus for Breaking Bad fans, many of the same cameo actors from BB make an immediate appearance in the first two episodes of BCS.

In true Gilligan fashion, the first two episodes had cliffhangers at the end of the episode. During the course of the episode you would be steered in one direction, only to be yanked into a hard left at the very end to keep you musing for another week which direction they are going with this.

I'm really enjoying it so far, but I'm of the opinion that Breaking Bad is the greatest TV drama ever created, which might skew my opinion somewhat. My advice is if you haven't watched Breaking Bad, you probably should as you might not get as much out of BCS, whereas Breaking Bad fans will almost surely fall in love with it from the outset. BCS is strong enough to stand on its own merits, but would be greatly enhanced by a foreknowledge of the BB plot lines.

2. Likes DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    That was a good review Mr. RockGremlin.

I've throughly enjoyed these two Episodes as well. The scene in the desert with ***** was intense! I was on the edge of my seat!!

It will be fun to see what the show has up its sleeves.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

'S all good, man! Brilliant.

Lots of different angles being played out right now, interested to see how they tie them all together...with Tuco, Nacho, the Kettlemans, the rival firm, and his loony tune brother all on Saul's plate right now.

So far I give the show a "meh", but we'll see how it progresses. One of the parts I have trouble with is an old Bob Odenkirk attempting to play a guy 20 years younger... they should have recast the lead. Just giving Odenkirk a dumbass hair style doesn't cut it for me. The show is supposed to be set in 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just giving Odenkirk a dumbass hair style doesn't cut it for me. The show is supposed to be set in 2002.

I bought it cuz I always just assumed he was wearing a cheesy toupe in Breaking Bad.

We'll see how it goes. It's a slow starter (definitely slower than BB), but it's hard to go wrong when you have the direction and writing that Gilligan et. al. bring to the table.

I've been enjoying it as well. I assume the series will take us through the process of how Saul became involved with the various low lifes, and I assume we'll even see Gus appear later in the series.

I wonder if it will even pick up after where Saul has to be "erased" and starts new, so possibly continuing on after the Breaking Bad series.

I heard somewhere that it would be going through the Walter White Era, but still maintaining focus on Saul.

Heck, it's already approved for two seasons, and season one isn't even half over. Lots of time to spin plots and storylines.

It is off to a relatively slow start, but I am liking how the characters are intertwined, and you see how the relationships are being built. I have a feeling things will pick up later in the season and leave us begging for more 'Sall Good, Man.
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

Yeah I'd say it's off to a slow start but I still can't turn away.

Mike E's past history just caught up to him it seems....

And what happened to Nacho?

BIG YAWN... they are about to lose me. I've stuck with it this far just because I was a huge Breaking Bad fan.

This show finally started rolling last night, too bad there is only one episode left until next year. Everything that happened in the first 6 episodes could have been crammed into two for a more exciting series.

The 5 minute scene featuring the three tough-guys who were to provided protection was pure gold. What're you packin? "Pimento"

This show finally started rolling last night, too bad there is only one episode left until next year. Everything that happened in the first 6 episodes could have been crammed into two for a more exciting series.

The 5 minute scene featuring the three tough-guys who were to provided protection was pure gold. What're you packin? "Pimento"
    My thoughts exactly.

I was wondering when they were gonna bring Nacho back into the plot. He made a pretty intimidating bad guy in the third episode, and then disappeared.

I like how Mike E. has suddenly turned badass, and am curious how they're gonna interact his character with Saul on a more intimate level.

Predictions from here: I think Saul caves, takes HHM's money, and starts his own firm from that strip mall office that all Breaking Bad fans are already familiar with.

Lots of twists and turns before we get to strip mall Saul. Right now Jimmy is still wrestling morally with right and wrong. Not to mention he is adamant about using his real name.

Not to mention he is adamant about using his real name.

Yeah that's right! I wonder what the catalyst will be for him changing his name from McGill to Goodman...and why? Is it just because he has a falling out with his brother?