Thread: End of March Canyons in Zion

End of March Canyons in Zion

Just looking for a few good sugestions of canyons in Zion for the end of March I don't want anything that a dry suit would be needed. The group is experienced but by no means expert so Imlay kolob and such are not options. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Everything wet will be cold, but most likely free of snow or ice.

If avoiding dry suits, canyons with brief swims are probably what you're after.

Spry
    Behunin
    Mystery...
    Pretty standard intermediate canyon fare for Zion.

Fat Man's Misery... the southern exposure brings it into season earlier than most Zion canyons.

Yankee Doodle is another canyon that comes into season early.

Bogley BigShot
    I like to stay dry when it's still cold out. You are going to get wet in all that has been mentioned except maybe - if you are really lucky, Behunin - it's been rather dry this winter so far though.

6. Likes jman liked this post
    So i'm guessing Pine Creek would be miserable. Anyone have any experience with Behunin or Mystery in late March? I'm just trying to find options but its looking like possibly Spry even though half the group has already done it and as an alternate Fat Mans Misery. We all are fine with using wet suits but none of us feel like renting dry suits. thanks for the help as always.

Pine creek may not be bad. There can be ice into April or it can be pleasant in February (not typically though).

A friend of mine did it two weeks ago and said it was warmer than when we did it in April of 2013.

I've done mystery in April. Not bad at all but you'll want neo socks for the narrows. I didn't have them and my feet were stupid cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Pine creek may not be bad. There can be ice into April or it can be pleasant in February (not typically though).

A friend of mine did it two weeks ago and said it was warmer than when we did it in April of 2013.

I've done mystery in April. Not bad at all but you'll want neo socks for the narrows. I didn't have them and my feet were stupid cold.
    Thanks for the info.

I was wondering the same. Is Englestead out the narrows going to be too snowed in? Seemed like a weak winter so thought it would be a valid question. I've seen in years past the consensus was late May.

I don't know the current conditions of Englestead, but the canyon does seem to hold snow a long time. Sometimes there is snow in there in June.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I've encounter snow in late June in Englestead, Echo and Checkerboard. The problem is the snow avalanches off the upper slopes in winter. It's not the amount off snow received during the winter but more the avalanche conditions experianced throughout the winter.