Thread: Buckskin Gulch permits

Buckskin Gulch permits

I'm wondering if May permits fill up fast enough that there is a time zone issue? I'll be online at midnight for the permits our group needs, but will Mountain Time be too far behind?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by mcweyen View Post
    I'm wondering if May permits fill up fast enough that there is a time zone issue? I'll be online at midnight for the permits our group needs, but will Mountain Time be too far behind?
    The permit page has a table that has the date each month becomes available. The header of that table says "Applications accepted after 12pm on the 1st of the month". I would hate for you to stay up until midnight only to wonder why May is still not available.

From my limited experience, on busy months the site may bog down for the first hour or two after the permits become available so anticipate that. I have never had a problem getting a permit a few hours after 12:00pm but I have never tried getting one on a weekend in May.

There is a video you have to watch before getting the permits. Take the time now to watch it and then you can honestly check the checkbox when you're getting the permits. The video is located here and also on the page after clicking on any of the available dates.

If you want to bypass all of the pages that will be bogged down you can just use this link, https://www.blm.gov/az/paria/backcou...dDate=5/1/2015, substituting the date listed at the end for the date you plan on being there. This link is active, so you can watch the video, check the checkbox, and have the page sitting ready to click Feb 1.

Below is a screenshot of the next page that has the permit application fields. Make sure you have all the information ready so you don't have to waste time tracking it down on permit day. Note that the first field, "What is the last letter of the English alphabet?" is a random field.
    Name:  Paria Permit Application.png
Views: 557
Size:  64.8 KB

Good luck!

I've always had really good luck getting Buckskin permits Mother's Day weekend, it's not real popular.... hope that helps. Good luck

Thanks for all the info! That catch on the time made things a whole lot nicer. Our group has a window from the 16th through the 24th of being in the area so I would hope we could get something. I was mainly trying to get a feel for how fast they go and it sounds like they do go pretty quick.

Anyone know what time zone the BLM uses to open up the permits? I'm guessing Mountain Time since Arizona is in Mountain Time Zone.

Wife and I did Buckskin in the middle of May last year. On February 1, I was right at my computer at 2EST. While I was able to get a permit, they went fast and certain dates were filled by the time I finished processing everything, which ended up around 2:05. Most of the ones that were left were only down to a few. I had a lockup on the site and had to re-enter everything. That cost me a few minutes.
    Be aware that the permits open up at noon, not midnight.

During our trip in May it was interesting to note that only me, my wife, and one other person camped in Buckskin that night. Maybe the others used the permit for another part of the Paria. Not sure.

in any case, be at your computer with the form filled out when the clock strikes. You should be able to get one but you don't want to wait. Also, you may want to confirm that they start on mountain time, just to be sure.

Finally, enjoy your trip. Buckskinis an absolutely fantastic place.

jh

8. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    Awesome, that's exactly what I was hoping to know. I emailed the BLM and they are out this week with the Super Bowl going on down there.

Almost all scooped up within fifteen minutes.

Felicia
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Interesting -- now there are permits available again. Did anyone else notice the flux?

Felicia
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

I had the 22nd all lined up and as I went to pay, the server kicked me off and I lost it. Grr! Luckily we got all the permits we needed for the 18th! Woot woot! It just kinda changes the way we do our trip as a whole. It looked like they were almost all gone within 5 minutes. Crazy!

I had the 22nd all lined up and as I went to pay, the server kicked me off and I lost it. Grr! Luckily we got all the permits we needed for the 18th! Woot woot! It just kinda changes the way we do our trip as a whole. It looked like they were almost all gone within 5 minutes. Crazy!
    That's exactly what happened to me last year. Got booted and had to redo. Luckily I was able to get the date I wanted but barely. Was surprised they went that quickly.

In any case it's good for you that you got them. Enjoy your adventure!

14. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeygeo1 View Post
    Be aware that the permits open up at noon, not midnight.
    by 11pm on the eve of the sale I was struggling to stay awake. my wife asked me if I was planning on staying awake for another 13 hours. wait, what?...
    12pm = noon.

the autofil function on my wife's macbook was critical in securing memorial weekend permits. it almost felt like cheating.

16. Likes mcweyen liked this post