Thread: Smarter people use iPhones, study says

Smarter people use iPhones, study says

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This "study" is riddled with inconsistencies. For starters, Alaska, Montana and Vermont have the highest percentage of iPhone users, yet according to his study, iPhone sales are the highest in the most densely populated states. Uh huh...

Sounds like the author of this study is himself an iPhone fanboi.

4. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Name:  meme-jpg.jpg
Views: 1935
Size:  34.5 KB
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

What a joke. Chitika is an internet marketing firm, not an unbiased researcher. Their methodology was crap and didn't test for what was claimed in the article. Notice the result is iphone rate usage by state. Nothing about intelligence levels. Look at the source material:

https://chitika.com/insights/2015/iphone-by-state
    http://chitika.com/files/iPhone_Usag...context=user/5

As seen in the table and infographic below, iPhone usage rates aren’t particularly correlative with geography or raw population figures. However, following some correlative analysis as presented in this associated white paper, we did find that state-by-state iPhone usage rates did correlate with:

• Education level
    • Population density

The relationship also held across median income, however the high correlation in median income and education level resulted in redundancy of this particular variable.

They give no basis for why they can choose one set of data over another and they show no causative effect between any of the correlated variables. They merely chose one that they could manipulate to achieve their ends.

Now lets look closer at the methodology and sample technique.

To quantify this study, Chitika Insights analyzed a sample of hundreds of millions of U.S.-based iPhone ad impressions accessed via Chitika's Cidewalk mobile ad platform. The data were drawn from a date range of December 25 through 31, 2014, thus including traffic from devices given as gifts during the most recent Christmas holiday.To quantify this study, Chitika Insights analyzed a sample of hundreds of millions of U.S.-based iPhone ad impressions accessed via Chitika's Cidewalk mobile ad platform. The data were drawn from a date range of December 25 through 31, 2014, thus including traffic from devices given as gifts during the most recent Christmas holiday.
    Now consider the much vaunted fact that iphone uses spend more money on-line and in app. People talk about that like it's this great feature of the iphone and the user audience. I look at that claim and think they must be foolish. Why buy into a system that's going to influence me to spend more? As a consumer, that claim strikes me as scary.

Over the year, Android outsells Apple. But in the last quarter which includes Christmas gift giving, Apple outsold Android for that quarter. Apple had very high activations in the week Chiticka used for their sample. This first week of ownership is not reflective of how people use their phones over time, nor the average usage in general. But it's a great way to get an Apple skewed data point to sell yourselves as being effective advertisers to the Apple market.

And how did they collect this data? They looked at iphone ad impressions. That's an invalid sample bias for the claims made.

Let's hammer this a little further. The iphone is pretty much a one or two product line deal. Android phones have 100s of choices. Compare iphone use to Android phone use of similar cost would be a much more valid comparison based on their data sources.

But it's telling an iphone/Apple fan thinks this is an informative story.

7. Likes jman, DiscGo liked this post
    Wow! I think phatch might have too much time on his hands, to be able to come up with such a thorough response.

As my ol' pappy used to tell me.... "if you have to tell people how smart you are, you're not really very smart."

10. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Wow! I think phatch might have too much time on his hands, to be able to come up with such a thorough response.
    Actually, the data he spilled out (which I'm assuming took only 3 minutes) can be easily achieved with no more than 2 simple apps that can be acquired with an Android phone.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Actually, the data he spilled out (which I'm assuming took only 3 minutes) can be easily achieved with no more than 2 simple apps that can be acquired with an Android phone.
    I didn't actually bother to read that lengthy post.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Other studies have found similar results. Rich, white males tend to buy more iPhones, particularly in the first weeks that they go on sale.
    Uh oh, how many liberals are tweeting "Check yo' White Privilege" from their iPhone

15. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post