Thread: American Sniper, full of controversy

American Sniper, full of controversy

Who knew a Clint Eastwood movie would be the center of controversy today?

Let's start with the fake baby

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The previews have looked interesting, but it glosses over the sniper's later meltdowns and other mental weirdness. I plan to see it eventually, but I don't consider it a particularly biographical movie, more Hollywood "Based On".

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Who knew a Clint Eastwood movie would be the center of controversy today?

Let's start with the fake baby

"This video contains content from Warner Bros. Entertainment, who has blocked it on copyright grounds."

American Sniper is one of the better movies I've watched recently, I've also read the book and thought both were excellent. The movie does a good job of following the book. But I will say the baby part felt very awkward to me.

The movie deals more with the morals and inner conflicts of war, killing and the price paid by combat soldiers. It is certainly one of the better movies of the year.

Also I watched Unbroken last night and it was disappointing after reading the book... gotta love screener season when all these movies are on the inter-webs free for the stealing.

'MERICA

Name:  MERICA-001.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  103.1 KB

Yeah I thought Unbroken kind of sucked, I felt let down and I didn't even read the book.

I did however pass a few book snobs in the movie theater lobby looking down their noses at us explaining what was in the book but wasn't in the movie.

I felt like doing that when I saw Dumb and Dumber To, explaining how the book was different than the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Yeah I thought Unbroken kind of sucked, I felt let down and I didn't even read the book.
    The book is worth the read.

Actually both American Sniper and Unbroken are worth reading. The movies have to cut so much out you really miss a lot.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Considering 1% of Americans have had military service, I am not surprised at the amount of controversy. The movie did not follow the book and was made to enhance the drama, etc. I wouldn't consider the movie an auto-biography, but just another war drama. That being stated, I still enjoyed the movie.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The book is worth the read.
    I really liked the book of Unbroken.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

- - - Spoilers in the discussion below. - - -

At one point in the American Sniper movie the Chris Kyle character is talking about his recently-killed friend Biggles who wrote a letter about the horrors he'd seen in war. Kyle says the letter and the idea that Biggles' heart and soul weren't focused on the fight is what got Biggles killed. Then in the middle of the big climactic final battle the Chris Kyle character stops fighting to call his wife while the battle happens around him. Lame.
    All that shit about seals-don't-quit, and then he calls his wife in the middle of the fight? Isn't that the definition of quitting?
    (And I know, it's just a dramatic scene in a movie, but it was still super dumb.)

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    - - - Spoilers in the discussion below. - - -

At one point in the American Sniper movie the Chris Kyle character is talking about his recently-killed friend Biggles who wrote a letter about the horrors he'd seen in war. Kyle says the letter and the idea that Biggles' heart and soul weren't focused on the fight is what got Biggles killed. Then in the middle of the big climactic final battle the Chris Kyle character stops fighting to call his wife while the battle happens around him. Lame.
    All that shit about seals-don't-quit, and then he calls his wife in the middle of the fight? Isn't that the definition of quitting?
    (And I know, it's just a dramatic scene in a movie, but it was still super dumb.)
    Yeah... none of that crap happened in the book.

Yeah, I read the book too (well, audiobook, is that "reading"?). And I know that shit didn't happen in real life, but it was SO dumb in the movie. Lady next to me was tearing up and glaring at me for laughing.

A good friend of mine is the Commander of the school in Quantico. He sent me this link and said "Pretty good article and they quoted me correctly so I can continue my career". Since virtually every military officer gets very worried about having the press quote them. It is always one of those scenarios where they can get it wrong and it is still going to come down as "your fault".

There is a vid and an article in this link.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...tico/22168499/

14. Likes oldno7 liked this post