Thread: BYU makes clear there are 3 exceptions to beard ban

BYU makes clear there are 3 exceptions to beard ban

And this is one of the many reasons that I did not want to attend BYU...

PROVO, Utah (AP) — Muslims studying at Brigham Young University are pleased that they will be allowed to have beards after the school clarified exceptions to the ban on facial hair for men.

Hamad Javed and others Muslims are celebrating the recent decision by the Mormon-owned college that makes clear that there are three exceptions to the beard ban, the Daily Herald of Provo reported (http://bit.ly/15mHvgq ).

Students with a medical condition, students taking part in a theatrical production, or students who want a beard for religious reasons, like Muslims or Sikhs, can seek permission to grow a beard, the Provo school explained.

In the past, BYU made exceptions for beards on a case-by-case basis with no specific outline of exemptions. The beard ban for all other students remains, despite a push by a group of students to change the rule.

Javed decided as a teenager in Pakistan he wanted to grow a beard just like his father.

"I made a vow that I would have a beard for the rest of my life," Javed said.

But he had to shave it off when he arrived to BYU to study and was told by a school official that the religious exemption policy had been abused. Javed hopes students respect the intent of the rule.

"I hope people don't misuse the new policy," he said. "Even if you misuse it, just don't tell anybody."

BYU is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Salt Lake City-based faith doesn't ban beards for its members, but most of the religion's leaders are clean shaven.

Some people still want the beard ban lifted for all students, including a group that staged a protest last fall to bring attention to the issue.

BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins told the Daily Herald that the recent beard clarification shouldn't be interpreted as an indication of other future changes.

"The dress and grooming guidelines that men are to be clean shaven has not changed, and I do not foresee it changing," Jenkins said.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=33159783&nid..._cid=popular-1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This just in, Kate Kelly is trying to grow a beard and apply at BYU

4. Likes tallsteve liked this post
    What about bearded clams?

6. Likes REDFOX liked this post
    What would Jesus do?

Grow it long, or become an Aqua Velva man?

I don't get it. Both Brigham Young and Moses are often depicted in paintings as having a beard. Would neither be welcomed as BYU students? But of course Jesus drank wine and Mormons cannot drink alcohol. What would Jesus do? He would drink wine (and if there wasn't enough, he would change water into wine) and proudly wear His beard.

Both Brigham Young and Moses are often depicted in paintings as having a beard. Would neither be welcomed as BYU students?
    More so than that, LDS missionaries used to be required to grow beards. The ban came in the 1950's when the beard became a symbol of rebellion (which was even more true in the 60's with beards and long hair). I assume with changing trends it will eventually get changed back.

But of course Jesus drank wine and Mormons cannot drink alcohol. What would Jesus do? He would drink wine (and if there wasn't enough, he would change water into wine)
    The LDS love to debate on whether it was grape juice or alcoholic wine that Jesus drank (personally I think it was alcoholic wine). There are times, however, throughout the Bible when certain peoples were forbidden to partake in wine and strong drink. From the LDS viewpoint, if it was commanded among certain peoples at certain time periods during history, it can be commanded to a people in the present day, even if it wasn't always the case among all people. Some times it is the other way around and it is OK now to partake of certain things (such as pork).

Of course, this a free country and anyone can believe what they want.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I heard Moses never wore denim jeans either, and here's BYU students tromping and trouncing around in their fancy Levi's!

There is no God.