Thread: Harnesses: Pros and Cons of D-ring attachment point.

Harnesses: Pros and Cons of D-ring attachment point.

Hello. As the title says, I'd like to know some pros and cons of harnesses with metal D-rings, versus textile belay loops.

From what I gather the d ring extends the rappel device a little farther away from the body than belay loops do.. but it really doesn't seem like much.. Another con I can think of would be additional weight.

The harness will be obviously used for canyoneering and not any climbing or belaying. Are there any advantages ?? Longer lifespan ? Can I girth my chain reactor to the d ring ??

http://m.petzl.com/en/Professional/Harnesses/FALCON is the harness I'm looking at. Thanks guys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Eastoahu View Post
    Hello. As the title says, I'd like to know some pros and cons of harnesses with metal D-rings, versus textile belay loops.

From what I gather the d ring extends the rappel device a little farther away from the body than belay loops do.. but it really doesn't seem like much.. Another con I can think of would be additional weight.

The harness will be obviously used for canyoneering and not any climbing or belaying. Are there any advantages ?? Longer lifespan ? Can I girth my chain reactor to the d ring ??

http://m.petzl.com/en/Professional/Harnesses/FALCON is the harness I'm looking at. Thanks guys
    A metal D ring won't make a whole lot of weight difference when it comes down to it. One pro is that you will have a dedicated tie in point and less chance of mistaking another piece of nylon portion of the harness and clip into it. With a metal D ring, if your not clipped into metal, your not clipped in right.

As for the stretch, what I have found is that a Metal D ring actually doesn't stretch that much. A nylon belay loop is going to pull away from your body alot further than the D ring will unless it's got a bit of nylon length on it that attaches it to the harness, this particular picture didn't appear so. You will be close to the body with this, needing to keep your straps and clothing tucked in.

One other con consideration with a harness type like this is the wear and tear on it. Canyoneering is going to beat the heck out of your harness if your doing narrow canyons and tight quarters. Getting a nice expensive harness makes it hurt a lot more when you have to replace it often. I'd suggest a cheaper harness, or getting one you can add a seat protector on. Unless your canyoneering is only once or twice a year, then you can get away with it for a while.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

4. Likes Eastoahu, ratagonia liked this post
    I might make things more complicated now, but in this post a lot of info can be found about D-ring connections:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...r-canyoneering

Hard to make a summary of many different opinions, so you best read it yourself I think. I still haven't decided.... (you'll understand after reading that post)

D-rings do not change shape / collapse under load, so easy to clip stuff in and out when loaded.

7. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonbug View Post

One other con consideration with a harness type like this is the wear and tear on it. Canyoneering is going to beat the heck out of your harness if your doing narrow canyons and tight quarters. Getting a nice expensive harness makes it hurt a lot more when you have to replace it often. I'd suggest a cheaper harness, or getting one you can add a seat protector on. Unless your canyoneering is only once or twice a year, then you can get away with it for a while.
    (most) Hawaii canyons, Oahu especially, aren't very narrow and can't be compared to say Zion or the likes. No gritty sandstone, and not alot of movements that would ruin a harness. Mostly just rock hopping and big swim offs. At least i hope so, the harness is pretty pricey.

Think im gonna bite the bullet and try the D-ring.