Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Winter Semi-Technical Canyon

Looking for Winter Semi-Technical Canyon

Every January for the last few years my friend and I go out in the Utah desert canyoneering. We've done Spooky/Peekaboo, scrambled up Leprechaun and Blarney from the bottom, done part of Spur Fork. Our favorites are Egypt 3 (without the rappel) and Main fork Bluejohn. One of these trips we'll get in a class to learn technical canyoneering, but not this year.

Looking for another canyon similar to Bluejohn or Egypt3 that has fun scrambling/downclimbing, but no rappelling. Also would need to be fairly dry.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Getting antsy in winter, eh? Moonshine wash and Three Canyon might fit the bill. You could also do Little Wild Horse and Ding and Dang while in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    You could also do Little Wild Horse and Ding and Dang while in the area.
    I echo Little Wild Horse - although last time I took my kids out there we encountered some water in it that was unavoidable. We are currently getting snowed on in the Four Corners area so most areas will have some water melting into it right now.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Music Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/music1.htm

We did the complete Music with no rappels. It would be a good idea to hang a rope at the drop as a handline if require for use both going down and back up. If you can do main Bluejohn top to bottom without a rope you should be able to do Music. If you get to a point in Music where you don't feel comfortable just turn around and live to play another day.

And if there is poster child for someone who should learn to rappel it's a guy like you. The ability to complete a simple 15 or 20-foot rappel will open a large new selection of canyons to you, in addition to keeping you safe.

Here a few more canyons that should be on your to-do list, some of which contain water.

http://climb-utah.com/CM/blackhole.htm

http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

http://climb-utah.com/SRS/dingdang.htm

http://climb-utah.com/SRS/lbb.htm

http://climb-utah.com/Roost/moonshine.htm

http://climb-utah.com/Zion/redcave.htm

http://climb-utah.com/Zion/subway.htm

All of the above routes can be done without a rappel, some might require a short rope for handlines.

Enjoy....

Be aware that Music Canyon can be very difficult if there has been snow or if it is wet. The reasons are that the basin draining into Music Canyon has a lot of clay beds, so the canyon is full of clay which is very easy when dry, but can be very difficult when wet.

Ding and Dang can hold water as well. Little Wildhorse stays drier, but I've seen it wet only once.

Farnsworth Canyon seems to usually stay dry as does Moonshine Wash. The North Wash stuff can be good from the bottom, but it sounds like you've done some of that. Some of the Robbers Roost area slots are partially accessible without rappelling.

I've done Happy Canyon Narrows in the winter, but you have to wade the river. Hatch and Fiddler Cove Canyons are nice, but you need a 4wd to get there, or do a long hike.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks for the info guys. Spent a lot of long winter nights reading several Kelsey books and surfing the internet. Moonshine, Ding/Dang were near the top of the list. Thanks Ice Axe for the Music suggestion I hadn't read about that one. I'll read up on Farnsworth. We'll have 4WD and have forded the Dirty Devil before, so I may look into Hatch and Fiddlers Cove.
    Knee-deep icy puddles are ok, but don't want anything deeper than that in January.

Swett is a good one for winter as well, but there is often a pool at the very end of the Wingate Narrows. Even if the pool is there, you can still see all the narrow sections of the canyon. The non-technical portions of Ticaboo are usually good for winter too.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I'm looking at doing Horseplay and Arscenic this January. Don't have rappel gear but have some experience downclimbing several other slots. Kelsey's map of Arscenic shows a route into/out of the canyon after the 60m rappel, but before that canyon turns hard left. Can you bypass the 60m rappel?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
    I'm looking at doing Horseplay and Arscenic this January. Don't have rappel gear but have some experience downclimbing several other slots. Kelsey's map of Arscenic shows a route into/out of the canyon after the 60m rappel, but before that canyon turns hard left. Can you bypass the 60m rappel?
    No.

What Tom says (also, the route on Kelsey's map is labeled as downhill only for a reason). The 60m rappel can be broken into stages, but you still need to rappel. Without just exploring the technical slots up from the bottom, the only semi technical slot I can think of in that area is Lucky Charms, but it's short. Lower Maidenwater is really good (and non-technical) and I have done it in winter, but you will be wet.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    No.
    To clarify -

Those canyons over there are north-facing, therefore they hold snow and ice much longer than others. When wet, they are goopy and muddy.

No, you cannot bypass the first rappel. In winter, there would be quite a few MORE rappels, and anchors might be hard to find.

The exit climbs back up to the car - ALL of them - involve at some point climbing up slickrock. Even a tiny bit of snow on them might make that impossible. The walk-around is quite far.

My guess is that you have not done these canyons before. The FIRST rule of winter canyoneering is ONLY do canyons you have done before.

Walking in the bottom of Leprechaun might be a good choice. You can climb up quite a ways. There is a difficult step to get up, when it has snow on it.

Little Wild Horse?

Wild Horse?

Ding and Dang?

What have you done in the area?

(etc.)

13. Likes deagol liked this post
    Blog Entries
    My guess is that you have not done these canyons before. The FIRST rule of winter canyoneering is ONLY do canyons you have done before.
    That's probably the best winter canyoneering advice I've ever heard, actually, despite all the winter threads I have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

The only canyons I've done have been in January the last few years (Main Bluejohn, Spur, Egypt 3, Spooky/Peek, Blarney/Lep from the bottom). I figured Kelsey's Arscenic map was wrong, but wanted to check with you guys.
    We'll probably do Shuffleboard, Pottymouth/Upper Warm Springs, and Horseplay. These canyons seem like fun, but no ropes required right? Looking to avoid water.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
    The only canyons I've done have been in January the last few years (Main Bluejohn, Spur, Egypt 3, Spooky/Peek, Blarney/Lep from the bottom). I figured Kelsey's Arscenic map was wrong, but wanted to check with you guys.
    We'll probably do Shuffleboard, Pottymouth/Upper Warm Springs, and Horseplay. These canyons seem like fun, but no ropes required right? Looking to avoid water.
    Good to see you are now picking canyons you have done before. [/sarcasm]

Tom

So I really want to get out this Winter and have planned with a small group to go to North Wash next weekend. January 23rd. BUT...after seing Tom's advice to only do canyons you have done before (in winter). I am a bit bummed. We have been dying to do Arscenic after seeing the entrance once but not having enough daylight left in the day. So my original question was would we be crazy to o arscenic in winter. We have only done blarney, lucky charms, in that area. We don't want to do them again. We are looking for techincal. But we are intermediates, with one girl that has only done the subway (very beginner). So...do we try arscenic, do leprechan because people say its decent in winter. Or head to Moab, or escalante, and do a route we have done before. (done a bunch of canyons in zion but its out of season?)

Quote Originally Posted by getlivingfit View Post
    So I really want to get out this Winter and have planned with a small group to go to North Wash next weekend. January 23rd. BUT...after seing Tom's advice to only do canyons you have done before (in winter). I am a bit bummed. We have been dying to do Arscenic after seeing the entrance once but not having enough daylight left in the day. So my original question was would we be crazy to o arscenic in winter. We have only done blarney, lucky charms, in that area. We don't want to do them again. We are looking for techincal. But we are intermediates, with one girl that has only done the subway (very beginner). So...do we try arscenic, do leprechan because people say its decent in winter. Or head to Moab, or escalante, and do a route we have done before. (done a bunch of canyons in zion but its out of season?)
    Well, perhaps CAREFUL advice would be helpful, along with recent descents.

I have not done Arscenic in winter. Those canyons face north, and tend to be muddy, so I am not compelled to head that way.

I can suggest the Leprechauns... But, ONLY if you start with East Leprechaun. Please be aware that Middle Leprechaun is about five times as much canyon action as East, so perhaps not everyone will be up for that. West Leprechaun is about the same action level as East.

We found Hogwarts to be quite pleasant.

Without seeing how you move in canyons, it is hard to recommend more than that. Perhaps the East/West Epic Blarney you would find entertaining.

"We have only done blarney, lucky charms, in that area. We don't want to do them again."

You cannot do them again, as they are different canyons now, than when you visited them before.

I know, kinda Zen.

Here is another of Tom's Canyon Koans:

'Everyone in the group is entitled to an outstanding trip, expect one person.'

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by getlivingfit View Post
    Arscenic is easy in the winter, so a good choice. It took us 4 hours car-to-car, moving verrry slowly. It's about as difficult as a Blarney, maybe a little easier, so I don't see why not.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...67168-Arscenic

Be sure to use good form by fixing your 200 footer at the top, then go back and retrieve it after the canyon.

And when you get home, use good form by posting a trip report to Bogley.

-Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Arscenic is easy in the winter, so a good choice. It took us 4 hours car-to-car, moving verrry slowly. It's about as difficult as a Blarney, maybe a little easier, so I don't see why not.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...67168-Arscenic

Be sure to use good form by fixing your 200 footer at the top, then go back and retrieve it after the canyon.

And when you get home, use good form by posting a trip report to Bogley.

-Bob
    Any problem finding a snow-free way back up to the top?

Tom

Any problem finding a snow-free way back up to the top?
    There was a little snow here and there, but not enough to cause any difficulty on the exit. I don't remember that slope having characteristics that tend to collect snow. It is wide and mostly covered with dirt making passage easy, if my memory serves.

The Slideanide/K9 exit is clean steep-ish sandstone, and would be treacherous in the snow. If I were to do any of the three in the winter I'd plan on the Arscenic exit, unless I knew the Slide/K9 exit was completely snow-free to the top.

(explaining for other readers, I'm pretty sure you already know, Sir Tom)

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    (explaining for other readers, I'm pretty sure you already know, Sir Tom)
    (Actually, I don't. Those canyons are not really in my rotation, and I usually just do Constricht9 when I am out there... and I have not been out that way in winter. As that great canyoneer of olde Tip O'Neil said: "all canyoneering conditions are local".)

( )