Thread: Tips on Management for Long Ropes

Tips on Management for Long Ropes

Hey everyone!
    I just bought a full 660' spool of C4. I know most folks would probably cut it down into more manageable lengths, but here in Hawaii several of our canyons have 500'+ drops, so I'm going to keep it full length for now (until it gets core shots, that is). I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas on management for such a long rope (splitting between two bags, using your entire pack as a rope bag, no rope bag, etc.) since a single rope bag is obviously not going to work. Thanks in advance! Happy canyons!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think I would just carry the rope in a backpack, and have one person in the group haul that pack. 20lbs of rope being managed that way wouldn't be to horrible. Another team member would just need to carry the gear and food for the person carrying the ropepack.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I think I would just carry the rope in a backpack, and have one person in the group haul that pack. 20lbs of rope being managed that way wouldn't be to horrible. Another team member would just need to carry the gear and food for the person carrying the ropepack.
    My only experience thus far with ropes that long is in SAR teams. We just keep the ropes mainly on the spool until we need it, but we are generally driving right to the location. We do have a couple of longer ropes (300-400') lengths in bags that are bulky and akward to handle (but these are 12-13mm ropes).

I would agree in a canyon setting with Blake. Pack it all in a back pack and assign it to one person or trade it around. In canyon dynamics a lot of people get bent out of shape when they are stuck carrying the rope, but that is along with their personal gear as well. If someone else had their gear divided up then carrying the rope might not be too bad, just give him a bottle of water to keep with the rope so he can get some quick drinks if need be instead of chasing his stuff through the canyon.

Wow 500+ ft. rappels. I need to get me to Hawaii someday.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

5. Likes Eastoahu liked this post
    I know a fall from 20' could mess up your day just as much as one from 500', but I'd be a real chicken / turkey / grouse at the top of a 500' rap.

Entire rope in one backpack, first person down raps the line right out of the pack. If ya toss the whole 660' it is going to be difficult to rappel on as you've got so much weight below breaking you. If you can cut 120' or whatever off of it that will help. It's generally always going to be easier as far as rope management goes to multi-pitch the real big drops

8. Likes Eastoahu liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Katym808 View Post
    Hey everyone!
    I just bought a full 660' spool of C4. I know most folks would probably cut it down into more manageable lengths, but here in Hawaii several of our canyons have 500'+ drops, so I'm going to keep it full length for now (until it gets core shots, that is). I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas on management for such a long rope (splitting between two bags, using your entire pack as a rope bag, no rope bag, etc.) since a single rope bag is obviously not going to work. Thanks in advance! Happy canyons!
    In Zion we have several 400M (1300+') x11mm ropes. They are flaked into large haulbags. Not sure what you refer to by C4, but I imagine it's 9mm? Black Diamond makes a haulbag, "Stubby" that should easily fit the full 660'?. Maybe the Imlay Canyon Gear Heaps would work as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Not sure what you refer to by C4, but I imagine it's 9mm?
    http://www.sterlingrope.com/c/climbi...yon-ropes_c-iv

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    600 feet of 9mm fits conveniently in a Heaps pack. When used, I tend to take the frame out and just carry it that way (or I should say, have someone else carry it that way). Then it can be used as a ropebag and just dropped. After a few drops, that particular Heaps pack is looking a bit more tattered...

(It is good to have a few old packs lying about).

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I think I would just carry the rope in a backpack, and have one person in the group haul that pack
    Exactly Blake, that is how we hauled our 300' 9mm heavy blue rope in Death Valley this past week. Luke knows that one well. Ha ha. We ended up taking the lid off the pack later in the day.

Pulling the rope out in careful loops and then throwing seemed to work OK, but it wore on you and took time. Certainly just throwing the pack over and let it deploy would be more efficient...but it was a new pack...

13. Likes Kuya liked this post

I have the nrs paragon and I like it for carrying large, odd shaped items. Guitars, firewood, large boxes of Christmas lights, crock pots... I've carried it through Kolob a couple times too, where it works beautifully.
    It's a great way to carry a huge rope in a dry bag as long as there is little chance of much rock contact.

what are you doing carrying a crock pot through Kolob?

That was my first thought too!

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    what are you doing carrying a crock pot through Kolob?
    Haha!

Chili.

The crock pot actually went to a cabin that I skied into.

In case anyone was wondering, the rope ended up fitting perfectly in my 65 liter backpacking pack. The pack's support was perfect, no problem hauling 660 feet of rope..

Deploying the pull line side of the rope out of the pack while rappelling was hard due to kinks in the new rope. Took some work on a 200 foot flowing rappel. Gonna try butterfly coiling them off a harness gear loop next time.
    Name:  ropebag.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  27.8 KB