Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drones?

Drones?

Is anyone on here into drone/quadcopter flying? I'd like to get started and have been looking for awhile. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ILYHTHE/...I2LH1W8IMC3SOR. I've narrowed it down to this model because it has good reviews and includes a 720p video camera. I'm after an inexpensive one to start with so I can learn the flying in's and outs before spending a bunch of money on one that will carry my GoPro. I've looked at a bunch of the video from this Hubsan model on youtube and it's really not bad once the user figures out how to fly it decently.
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you do, make yourself aware of any FAA regulations about their operation.

All civil aviation administrators / authorities around the world are jumping at the bit for some case law to see where they (and we, the public) stand.

Yep, that's another reason for buying cheap now and not forking out $1,000 or more. By the time I'm ready to fork out bigger bucks the dust will have settled (hopefully).
    Are we there yet?

I got a drone similar to the for xmas, but it has the rotor protectors, those protectors are a really good idea, as they prevent it from destroying itself when colliding with objects...

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Is anyone on here into drone/quadcopter flying? I'd like to get started and have been looking for awhile. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ILYHTHE/...I2LH1W8IMC3SOR. I've narrowed it down to this model because it has good reviews and includes a 720p video camera. I'm after an inexpensive one to start with so I can learn the flying in's and outs before spending a bunch of money on one that will carry my GoPro. I've looked at a bunch of the video from this Hubsan model on youtube and it's really not bad once the user figures out how to fly it decently.
    What is your primary purpose. I am very familiar with the dreaded drones and can help you get in touch with the right locals when you want to go for the real deal.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post30496440

Here is where all the big boys play.

I cringe at the drone thing. It is going to destroy a hobby I love.

Hobbyists can fly drones without FAA interference below 400' AGL. It's when you start trying to make money that the FAA gets involved.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Dance View Post
    It's when you start trying to make money that the FAA gets involved.
    Or flying over crowds, in National Parks, anywhere the media is aware of it, over wildlife, etc etc.

Truth. Don't pull a Superdell and start chasing endangered owls with those things.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    What is your primary purpose. I am very familiar with the dreaded drones and can help you get in touch with the right locals when you want to go for the real deal.
    Just recreation. No intentions of making money with it. Videoing my snowshoeing, x-country skiing, mtn. bike treks, from a birds eye view, mostly.
    Are we there yet?

I'd love to get a drone real soon, I'd like to get a model that has the "follow me" mode with it though so I can put it up in the air, start riding, boating, boarding and have it follow me.

This one looks cool

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...l-flying-robot

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'd love to get a drone real soon, I'd like to get a model that has the "follow me" mode with it though so I can put it up in the air, start riding, boating, boarding and have it follow me.

This one looks cool

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...l-flying-robot
    Yeah, I saw that one a few days ago. KSL radio did a report on that one from CES. Looks awesome!
    Are we there yet?

The follow me thing is awesome!!!!! Bad news is as it is on the bleeding edge, its value will drop drastically over the next few months. I started doing FPV/Drones 7 years ago, I spent a fortune, and never got any video worth producing, and I crashed it ALOT!!!!! Now for $500 you can get a system that is plug and play out of the box and strap your camera on it and when you do something stupid, you hit a switch and it flies back to you. AWESOME!

Just be aware, this will be like all things you dabble in, its a one and done, or its gonna cost you a months salary, every few months......

Yeah what you've really got to watch out for, are the awesome drones you finally decide on, and then you discover that's for the drone only and no controller!

I'm about to pull the trigger on this 3D Robotics IRIS+ drone with the Tarot 2D Gimbal for GoPro. I'm a little hesitant, just nervous I guess, I hope I'm getting the right one that I want. I've been studying up on the different drones and it looks like this is the one.

There are others out there that shoot 1080 video but don't quite have the "follow me" mode and mapping routes that this one does.

Very cool! Keep us updated on how it goes. I think if I were spending that much I'd seriously look at getting this drone flight simulator to 'practice' with before flying the real thing. Could help. http://www.preflightsim.com/mainre.html
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Very cool! Keep us updated on how it goes. I think if I were spending that much I'd seriously look at getting this drone flight simulator to 'practice' with before flying the real thing. Could help. http://www.preflightsim.com/mainre.html
    For manual navigation that would be helpful. But one major feature I'm buying this for is the ability to just draw a route on the smart phone, and it will just follow that planned route.

I think if I were to manually navigate it, I'd crash it for sure!

Ha! I hope the feature works as advertised but, I'm guessing at some point you'll have to or be forced to fly in manual mode.
    Are we there yet?

Here's a decent video using both the manual controller, or the auto planned flight app only.

I won't plan on needing a controller for manual flight, since I'd like to use it for hands free filming mostly.

It's here!

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1423177943897.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1423177965504.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  45.3 KB

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk