Thread: Slip 'n Slide in Constrychine Canyon

Slip 'n Slide in Constrychine Canyon

It was great to be out in the winter wonderland of Utah's North Wash! This was a special trip for me. It was my brothers first canyoneering trip! And it was our first time camping together since we were in Boy Scouts as youth.

Constrychnine canyon was so pretty! I didn't really know what to expect with this canyon, so when I dropped into the chamber section, I was thrilled with what I saw. The drops in the canyon were large, and the walls narrow! What a great canyon.

The adventure for this trip came when we tried to get up and out of the canyon. The north facing slopes were a dusted with snow, so when we attempted to get out, we got into a bit of a mess.

Daniel and Wylee both tried to scramble up the slick-rock but failed to do so. Daniel even got stuck on a near vertical slope and was unable to move up without sliding. Even with Wylee and mine's attempt, we struggled to help him get down. At one point, when Wylee had arrived to help, Daniel had been able to slide down to a little ledge where Wylee caught him. At that point I was hopefull that all would be OK and all would be able to walk down the slick-rock slope. My relief was short lived. A few moments after I thought all was well, Daniel and Wylee both slipped and found themselves sliding down a 20' slope to the sandy bottom.

I was scared! All I could do was scream: "NO! NO! NO!" as they slid down. In my mind I knew they would be OK. I could see that the slide was slow and that the landing would be soft. But the fact that I let my team even get into this kind of mess made me kinda angry. Fortunately for all of us, it was a safe learning experience. I need to stop having these!

Anyway.... after that little scare, we found a easier and much safer way to the top. Once we gained the ridge, we were pleased to find Arsenic Arch. It was nice to take a break there and shoot some pictures.

In the end we all had a great day in the canyon! Of course we all LOVED the slot, and the arch. we could have done without the slip-n-slide though! haha

CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. Likes hikster11, Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Top drawer TR as ever!

(I think I live in the wrong country...)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Top drawer TR as ever!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    (I think I live in the wrong country...)
    Lets switch, Ill live in the UK for a few years, and you can come here! ;)
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Awesome trip report and pictures! I love your arch photo with the Henrys behind it. That is a beautiful spot, and one you get to enjoy only if you do the loooooong exit! Which it sounds like is the best option when there is snow on the slickrock?

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Awesome trip report and pictures! I love your arch photo with the Henrys behind it. That is a beautiful spot, and one you get to enjoy only if you do the loooooong exit! Which it sounds like is the best option when there is snow on the slickrock?
    I wasn't aware of the long exit haha! But yeah, pretty much the the only way we found to get out safely was up the one of the south facing slopes.
    My YouTube Channel

My YouTube Channel