Thread: Hell Roaring Canyon II

Hell Roaring Canyon II

In August I did a solo hike through Hell Roaring Canyon that was a little challenging--especially getting my dogs up the canyon's exit near the end of the hike. This weekend I did the same hike with five people (me, Alan, Wade and his son, and Chris), five dogs (my two Brittanys, Alan's two labs, and Wade's blue heeler), and a few inches of snow. It was a lot more challenging in winter and it took a lot of team effort to get into and out of the canyon. I used a mountain bike shuttle for my first trip through the canyon during the summer, but this time with so many people and animals to move, and with cold temperatures making it easier to cover more ground on foot, we dispensed with the shuttle. Alan parked his truck near the exit route and we road-walked to the entrance to Dubinky Wash. I'd loaded my previous GPS track to help us find the proper descent into Dubinky Wash. The snow made the down-climbing more difficult and we had to deviate from my earlier track a couple of times until we reached the top of the stock trail.

Walking the road between the Hell Roaring exit and the Dubinky entrance

Above the entrance to Dubinky Wash

The stock trail was a lot sketchier with snow on the ground. A couple of times I felt like a slip would send me sliding and tumbling down the steep hillside below the trail, but luckily none of us had any mishaps. Once in the bottom of Dubinky Wash it was an easy walk to the confluence with Hell Roaring Canyon. We visited the rock art, but with this being my second visit I took very few photos. Since I had some support this time I had hoped to climb above the alcove to see the rock art there, but neither Chris nor I felt comfortable with the climb.

Chris descending the stock trail into Dubinky Wash

View into Dubinky Wash

Wade and his son, and Sophie the dog

Chris on the trail below

Wade and son descending a sketchy part of the trail

Dubinky Wash

Dubinky Wash

Shortcut between Dubinky Wash and Hell Roaring Canyon

Chris climbing the ledge above the alcove

Sassy!

Comet Thrower and Chris

We left the rock art and traveled another couple of miles up Hell Roaring Canyon to the bottom of the "crawl route" exit. During the summer this was the most difficult part of the route for me. In winter it was a little treacherous. Once again we couldn't follow my previous track due to the snow, and it took a lot of effort to get the dogs up a few of the ledges. Most of that effort involved one person being stationed halfway up a ledge, then using additional people at the bottom and top of the ledge to shuttle the dogs up.

View up Hell Roaring Canyon from our lunch spot

View up the exit route

Climbing up the snow-covered slope

Snowy ledge

Starting the "crawl route"

Wade crawling along the route

Final crawl over (and next to!) a boulder

Almost to the canyon rim

I was elated at reaching the canyon rim. I was never very doubtful that we'd make it out of the canyon--I've hiked with these guys enough that I trust my life to them--but the feeling of accomplishment was great. With the road-walk out of the way earlier in the day, we exited the canyon close to the vehicle and only had a short walk before reaching the warmth of Alan's truck. We dropped Wade off at his vehicle in Green River and were treated to a very nice sunset while driving on I-70.

Above the rim

GPS stats at the end of the hike

Sunset in Green River

Photo Gallery: Hell Roaring Canyon II
    GPS Track and Photo Waypoints: [Google Earth KMZ] [Google Maps] [Gmap4 Topo]
    Blog | FB

2. Likes oldno7, BruteForce liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Nice! You live proximate to some outstanding scenery!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Talk about sketch on the stock trail! Thanks for posting, it is high on the list!