Thread: Help! Truck Tire Suggestions

Blog Entries

Help! Truck Tire Suggestions

Hello Bogley Family!

My current 33" tires on my 2004 F-150 Fx4 are in need of replacement.

The current ones are about 4 years old from Big O Tires (and I forget the name of the tires). And I'm looking to replace all 4. I'm hoping to stay within the 33" range, but other than that - I have no idea on what kind I should get. My truck has a leveling kit, but it is not lifted.

I do a lot of freeway driving (between 300-400 miles/per week) for work , and do some 4x4 on the weekends. Nothing crazy Moab style but a lot of dirt-roads reaching popular trailheads.

I can't remember my current wheel size, as I will have to measure again...but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Brett
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm a big fan of the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO. Excellent in the sand and snow. Very good on the freeway. Not loud or harsh. The tread and white sidewall letteing look cool to boot. Discount tire usually has a pretty good price on them.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-...o/tire-details
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

4. Likes rich67 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I'm a big fan of the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO. Excellent in the sand and snow. Very good on the freeway. Not loud or harsh. The tread and white sidewall letteing look cool to boot. Discount tire usually has a pretty good price on them.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-...o/tire-details
    X2

I have had a set of BFG Rugged Terrains on my Tundra for about a year and a half now and they are really good all around tires. I had a set of All Terrains on it previously that were a good 8-9 years old and what a difference in street driving it made with the new tires. Maybe the old ATs were just so old that anything new would have felt better, but it was night and day different. So far my Rugged Terrains have treated me great on road, off road a little, and towing my 23 foot camp trailer. Dare I say it, they are even a little better in the snow than the ATs were because they seem to dig through a little better and grab on (almost too good for my foolish parking lot antics)when I'm doing very intentional dirt track maneuvers to impress my 10 year old son.

I got mine at Big O on Wall Ave. in Ogden (best deal that I could find, including Tire Rack) from the manager Mark, a great guy to deal with who's been in the business forever, I worked with him at David Early back in 1987-88!

I had Rugged Terrains on my Tacoma stock from the dealer. They're not well thought of in the Tacoma community, often being called Rugged Fails. I used them 'til they wore out. Their biggest failing imho is tread life, only about 30K. They were fine for dirt roads. I replaced them with the BFG AT/KO. The AT is a better tire for grip and longevity compared to the Rugged Terrains but is a little louder than the Terrains. I certainly noticed the difference in snow and ice with the AT compared to the RT.

Better grip still is the Duratrac, but tread life goes down again and at about the same cost as the AT/KO. I like the AT as it offers good tread life for the price and good performance as well as being reasonable on pavement. I expect 60K minimum from my BFGs, got 80K out of a set on a small 4x4 in the 90s.

Cooper and General offer some less expensive AT type tires, but they don't have quite the tread life either, nor as tough of a side wall. They're a fine choice if budget is more constrained and still better than the Rugged Terrain imho.

Costco often has good tire prices too, and is where I got my Tacoma BFG ATs.

8. Likes jman liked this post
    Correction, they were Rugged Trails from dealer. I have no experience with the Rugged Terrain.

I like the All terrains as well. I am currently waiting for my tire size to become available. Bf goodrich discontinued them and they are in the process of introducing a new ko2 version. You can check on their website to see the timeline of when specific sizes will become available this spring.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    I like the All terrains as well. I am currently waiting for my tire size to become available. Bf goodrich discontinued them and they are in the process of introducing a new ko2 version. You can check on their website to see the timeline of when specific sizes will become available this spring.

After 3 years with BFG KM2 MT's, I made the switch to Cooper STT Max. This is an awesome tire. Rugged, heavy duty and E-load rated..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by phatch View Post
    Correction, they were Rugged Trails from dealer. I have no experience with the Rugged Terrain.
    I have never heard a good thing about the Rugged Trails either...

Some great info on this thread:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ighlight=tires

Still love my BFG Rugged TERRAIN T/A's (not trail, big difference) and a close second is the Nitto Terra Grappler.

Goodyear Dura Trac or Nitto Trail Grapplers. Both very daily driver friendly with good wear for a multi-purpose tire. And affordable.
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

Name:  IMG_4695.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  63.2 KB
    I recently got a very good deal on the BFG KO2's, and I would have to say these tires are awesome. Quiet on the road, great grip yet good on gas mileage, and work very well off road. Perfect balance of road/light off-road tire. They tend to hang onto mud, especially if it's thick. But once you're off the trail, it slings it off pretty efficiently.
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

16. Likes jman liked this post