Thread: Hiking Boots

Hiking Boots

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on some new hiking boots. This is my 1st choice: http://www.vasque.com/USD/product/me...rn-belug-07160. Has anyone else tried this boot or had some experience with Vasque, good or bad? I've been using the Merrell Moab for the past few years. The problem I have with the Moab is it's too ventilated for the trailwork I do up AF Canyon during the summer. Too much dirt filters through the sidewalls and, in general, they just aren't rugged enough. I need all leather. I'm on foot a lot up the canyon but, the hikes aren't typically very long. Mostly 2-4 mile treks with a few longer (8-10) thrown in here and there.
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Before you buy a pair of Vasques, Merrell has started making a full leater version of the Moab. I love Moabs and have had a couple of pairs, but they aren't always the best in Washington where I live because I usually need a waterproof or at least resistant boot. I found the leather version at Sportsmans Warehouse a couple months ago and they are great and fit and feel very similar to the mesh version.

Quote Originally Posted by ddogg7864 View Post
    Before you buy a pair of Vasques, Merrell has started making a full leater version of the Moab. I love Moabs and have had a couple of pairs, but they aren't always the best in Washington where I live because I usually need a waterproof or at least resistant boot. I found the leather version at Sportsmans Warehouse a couple months ago and they are great and fit and feel very similar to the mesh version.
    Thanks for the heads up. Looks like the leather version is called the Moab Rover. I'll see if I can find some locally to try on.
    Are we there yet?

Have you thought of purchasing light weight trail gaiters and going with a low top all leather shoe like the Vasque Mantra 2.0? That way even when you wear shorts you will not get any dirt coming in through the top of the shoe. When hiking in shorts, even with high top boots, stones can come in through the top.

Have a pair of Vasquez's, very similar to these, 2 years old. LOVE EM. They fit my feet well - not too wide, not too narrow, Handle the slick rock, and going off-trail in both Zion and the Wasatch really well. Have used them in snow, muck, river bottoms, everywhere. The leather, lacing, stitching has all held up really well. I'll get another pair when these wear out.