Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Less is More Challenge

You sold your grandfather's family heirloom? You crazy. That's not just a gun, that's a piece of family history.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you are into the Simplicity Movement, you should read Walden by Thoreau. All the new books on Simplicity are just copies of Walden. Thoreau even provides an itemized household budget. Food was really cheap back in 1854. Thoreau was also a libertarian and refused to pay taxes. That should endear him to Bogley users.

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    You sold your grandfather's family heirloom? You crazy. That's not just a gun, that's a piece of family history.
    I feel relief for myself and happiness for the new owner. He actually appreciates that pistol.

I'm not speaking for you RG, but only myself- I've been raised to be precious with so many things. Things that I don't use, want, or appreciate. I hate storing them. I hate fretting over their condition. An now that I have two sons, I dread dividing up my 'heirlooms' between them. That isn't the yardstick I want my love to be measured by. I plan to create some kick-ass memories that they will remember forever. Adventures will be my heirlooms.

YMMV.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by reverse_dyno View Post
    If you are into the Simplicity Movement, you should read Walden by Thoreau. All the new books on Simplicity are just copies of Walden. Thoreau even provides an itemized household budget. Food was really cheap back in 1854. Thoreau was also a libertarian and refused to pay taxes. That should endear him to Bogley users.
    I'm not into any movement. I did borrow the 1,2,3,4... idea from a minimalist website, admittedly. However, the guys on that website don't know how to canyoneer, so I'm not sure what the hell they do with their free time. They talk about volunteering and then I get distracted and start looking for secret canyons on Google Earth.

We are just creating a life that works better for us. A life centered around adventure. The house was the biggest thing in the way. A huge time and money suck. Plus the stress ruins your mind after a decade or five.

I'll check out the book. Perhaps there is an idea our two we could add to our strategy. Thanks for the recommendation.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    That isn't the yardstick I want my love to be measured by.

Not saying your love should be metered in heirlooms, but the stories that they tell about your history and your family are pretty neat. I'm a tactile person, so when stories can be accompanied by something I can get my hands on it makes it more interesting and endearing.

Not attacking, it's just a personal perspective. My grandfather passed a priceless coin collection on to me, which I have since augmented and plan on passing along to my boys. If they turned around and offloaded it because they were sick of just having it in their ownership it would hurt a little bit.

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Speaking of....got any coins you wanna get rid of?

I can see it now. Family reunion a few years down the road...

[Slot Machine's cousin] Say Bob, I've been telling my kids about the story of grandpa and the Nambu pistol he brought back from Japan during WWII...

[Slot Machine, getting nervous] Oh yea?

[Slot Machine's cousin] Yea...they loved the story and want to see it. I still remember grandpa showing it too us as kids and I was green with envy when grandpa gave it to your dad, but I'm OK with it.

[Slot Machine] Well, I sold it a while back to a total stranger because it was taking up too much space....

While I personally haven't sold any family heirlooms, I have been on the hurt and betrayed side at least once.

The one that hurt the most was after my father died, my brother was doing the same thing you are doing...only for my mom. The three kids all divided up dads stuff and marked it to not sell or dispose of. I just so happens that 3 of dad's treasures were trophy buck mounts ( one 33" 5X5, one 35" 5X5 and one cactus buck 30" 9X13--all very heavy horn) that he'd shot back in the 40's up Diamond Fork. I loved to hear the stories of the good old days.

I never dreamed that my brother would ever sell them. After all, he's more of a hunter than me... So, as a result, I neglected to mark them to not sell. Sure enough, he sold them to a stranger for $50 each. Obviously, they meant more to me than him. I've been kicking myself in the butt ever since.

I like how you are dejunking...I'm doing the same myself, although not as drastic... But please be careful what you get rid of--there may be others involved that you didn't consider.

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Not saying your love should be metered in heirlooms, but the stories that they tell about your history and your family are pretty neat. I'm a tactile person, so when stories can be accompanied by something I can get my hands on it makes it more interesting and endearing.
    I get that. I used to feel that way.

Not attacking, it's just a personal perspective. My grandfather passed a priceless coin collection on to me, which I have since augmented and plan on passing along to my boys. If they turned around and offloaded it because they were sick of just having it in their ownership it would hurt a little bit.
    The 'hurt a little bit' is the element I'm removing from my life. It's just stuff. Having any angst over it seems silly to me.

I'm selling the last of my coin collection on eBay this week. I'll post those items after they are gone.

I've already sold 100 coins, in one auction, that were my grandfathers. Late 19th century silver dollars. Not worth much more than the safety deposit box they were in. I was relieved when they were gone.

Then my dad gave me three more silver coins... *sigh*. I sold them two weeks ago for $12.

I parted with a bunch of stuff today, so I'll post the next couple of day's lists.

Day 8:
    High School Class ring (sold)
    Old wedding band (sold)
    Silver ring (sold)
    Hoodie (donated)
    4 shirts

Day 9:
    Snowblower (sold)
    4 more framed art (donated)
    Coping saw (trash)
    Coping saw blades (trash)
    One unused can of plasti-dip (trash)
    1 black dress shirt

A life centered around adventure.
    I have been thinking a lot lately about this, and wondering how fulfilling an adventure filled life really is. Is it adventure that helps life to feel full? or something else? Often times I have been on an adventure only to long for more. The more I adventure, the more I want, thus the less full I feel.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

14. Likes jfeiro, Slot Machine liked this post
    It's been a while since I've been on here...just lazy or busy with other stuff really. I like the idea of de-cluttering and have been doing the same. I am not disciplined enough to keep track of how many items per day but I'll just know I have to get rid of multiple items per day. My wife is on board too. We have a toddler and she just got all kinds of junk for Christmas and the clutter is getting bad. We started by wanting to get rid of her old stuff but we need to do it for ours too.

-Probably 50 different toys, stuffed animals, nicknacks - (in trash)
    -A few other toys, feeding chair, baby carrier in pile to donate or sell
    -Selling 2 patagonia shirts and 8 pairs of jeans for my wife (on eBay now)
    -A few Christmas decorations in the trash instead of back in the box for next year
    -Pot for potted plant we've never owned a plant, I have no idea where it came from - (in trash)
    -Cheap digital game/toy I got for Christmas - (never opened, gave to coworker with boys)
    -Christmas tree - (on curb!)

16. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I have been thinking a lot lately about this, and wondering how fulfilling an adventure filled life really is. Is it adventure that helps life to feel full? or something else? Often times I have been on an adventure only to long for more. The more I adventure, the more I want, thus the less full I feel.
    You sure look satisfied in the 50,000 photos I've seen of you doing awesome stuff. After talking to you for prehaps 30 seconds, its pretty obvious that adventure is your thing. Like a fish saying he likes water.

By less full do you mean hungry? Or unfulfilled?

Soooooo...your high school ring and wedding band were taking up too much space in your life?

Quote Originally Posted by tmartenst View Post
    It's been a while since I've been on here...just lazy or busy with other stuff really. I like the idea of de-cluttering and have been doing the same. I am not disciplined enough to keep track of how many items per day but I'll just know I have to get rid of multiple items per day. My wife is on board too. We have a toddler and she just got all kinds of junk for Christmas and the clutter is getting bad. We started by wanting to get rid of her old stuff but we need to do it for ours too.

-Probably 50 different toys, stuffed animals, nicknacks - (in trash)
    -A few other toys, feeding chair, baby carrier in pile to donate or sell
    -Selling 2 patagonia shirts and 8 pairs of jeans for my wife (on eBay now)
    -A few Christmas decorations in the trash instead of back in the box for next year
    -Pot for potted plant we've never owned a plant, I have no idea where it came from - (in trash)
    -Cheap digital game/toy I got for Christmas - (never opened, gave to coworker with boys)
    -Christmas tree - (on curb!)
    Awesome!

I've thrown out at least 100 toys in the past month. My older son is much better behaved now. Lack of overstimulation, perhaps?

Soooooo...your high school ring and wedding band were taking up too much space in your life?
    Taking space in my mind, every time I thought of them. Taking time in my life, every time I touched them. Gone forever. Relief.

The wedding band was from my first marriage, FWIW. It made me angry every time I saw it. Why would anyone want to keep something like that?

@Sandsone Addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    I can see it now. Family reunion a few years down the road...

[Slot Machine's cousin] Say Bob, I've been telling my kids about the story of grandpa and the Nambu pistol he brought back from Japan during WWII...

[Slot Machine, getting nervous] Oh yea?

[Slot Machine's cousin] Yea...they loved the story and want to see it. I still remember grandpa showing it too us as kids and I was green with envy when grandpa gave it to your dad, but I'm OK with it.

[Slot Machine] Well, I sold it a while back to a total stranger because it was taking up too much space....
    Space is not that valuable, but time is. Every time I held that gun, I thought, why? Every time I paid for the safety deposit box it was in, I thought, why? I will never waste another moment fretting over that thing. Awesome.

And I will never care what anyone in my family thinks about my actions. Getting nervous about an heirloom? Not possible. (no disrespect, you seem like a great guy Dave C)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    I personally haven't sold any family heirlooms, I have been on the hurt and betrayed side at least once.

The one that hurt the most was after my father died, my brother was doing the same thing you are doing...only for my mom. The three kids all divided up dads stuff and marked it to not sell or dispose of. I just so happens that 3 of dad's treasures were trophy buck mounts ( one 33" 5X5, one 35" 5X5 and one cactus buck 30" 9X13--all very heavy horn) that he'd shot back in the 40's up Diamond Fork. I loved to hear the stories of the good old days.

I never dreamed that my brother would ever sell them. After all, he's more of a hunter than me... So, as a result, I neglected to mark them to not sell. Sure enough, he sold them to a stranger for $50 each. Obviously, they meant more to me than him. I've been kicking myself in the butt ever since.

I like how you are dejunking...I'm doing the same myself, although not as drastic... But please be careful what you get rid of--there may be others involved that you didn't consider.
    I've sold a couple of things that my brother in law has always wanted. He has said to me, "please let me have a chance to buy blah blah blah before you sell it, if ever you do."

Then I offer, and he says yes or no. Most often times he says no, in the end.

I'm glad you are kicking yourself in the butt and not your brother. That is better than what most folks do.

But perhaps my main point is, if you look at things in a different way, it doesn't sting so bad. Then there wouldn't be angst over stuff.

22. Likes Sandstone Addiction, jfeiro liked this post
    Day 4:
    fake christmas tree we haven’t used for two years now

ikea book shelf
    couple sets of measuring cups
    various measuring spoons

Day 5:

4 old textbooks
    lamp

Day 6:

3 shirts
    2 pairs of shoes

1 power wheels battery
    1 bucket of drywall mud
    lots of old cans of wall paint.
    Bucket of random stuff we've found in the desert, ghost towns, and old mines.

Gathering day 7 stuff now... I think I could fill up the rest of the month in the next 24 hours if it wouldn't throw the wife into a full blown panic freak out.

24. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Day eight: donated dress, two pairs of shoes, closet shoe organizer, wireless guitar system, threw away response clicker (from college), extra sowing kit, random box of hook-n-eyes.

26. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    You sure look satisfied in the 50,000 photos I've seen of you doing awesome stuff. After talking to you for prehaps 30 seconds, its pretty obvious that adventure is your thing. Like a fish saying he likes water.

By less full do you mean hungry? Or unfulfilled?
    I think adventure alone can't provide true fullfillment in life. But I think you are doing it right. Adventure coupled with kids/family/friends etc, brings great purpose! The pursuit of adventure alone? I'm finding it not as fulfilling as I once thought.

With that being said, my dream would be to upgrade to a tiny house and an adventure van. I think life is all about making memories with those you love and helping better the surroundings your are in. I envy your efforts to rid your life of "wastefull" things.
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

28. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I think adventure alone can't provide true fullfillment in life. But I think you are doing it right. Adventure coupled with kids/family/friends etc, brings great purpose! The pursuit of adventure alone? I'm finding it not as fulfilling as I once thought.

With that being said, my dream would be to upgrade to a tiny house and an adventure van. I think life is all about making memories with those you love and helping better the surroundings your are in. I envy your efforts to rid your life of "wastefull" things.
    Great post Blake. True fulfillment is an illusive thing. It seems like my family has taken a huge step in the right direction this week. We shall see.

Tiny house and adventure van... What a great combo! Worthy goals that seem to fit you. Reminds me of a friend's setup.

30. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Tiny house and adventure van... What a great combo! Worthy goals that seem to fit you. Reminds me of a friend's setup.
    It may never happen. haha! Wife doesn't seem to have the same vision as me. BUT it is still fun to dream about. in the meanwhile, I have a lot of de-junking to do myself. Thanks for the inspiration.
    My YouTube Channel