Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Less is More Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    Extra tools got donated to a local tool lending library.
    Great idea! I still have about 100-200 tools that are hardly worth selling (they are worth 5 bucks each, at best).
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Ohh--sorry, misleading title.
    I thought it was an obama sales pitch again.....
    Is this a joke on median income, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Is this a joke on median income, or what?
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  4.6 KB
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Day 2: One record player from the early 80's.
    One stack of around 30 vinyl records. A lot of Beach Boys, christmas music, and christmas music sung by the Beach Boys. Hell's playlist really.

Day 3: Three child car seats

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Day three: threw away decorative white board, fridge magnet to hold the markers, white board markers.

8. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Name:  IMG_20141223_154006800.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  64.1 KBName:  IMG_20141223_154006800.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  64.1 KB A couple of years ago my wife and I decided to do the same thing. Last year we had a yard sale and got rid of tons of stuff that we never used or didn't need, then we sold our house and are building a 20'x40' cabin with loft and once it's done this year it will be paid for as we are paying as we build.
    Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the Grave in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ...Holy Shit... What A Ride!

10. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jfeiro View Post
    A couple of years ago my wife and I decided to do the same thing. Last year we had a yard sale and got rid of tons of stuff that we never used or didn't need, then we sold our house and are building a 20'x40' cabin with loft and once it's done this year it will be paid for as we are paying as we build.
    That is really cool @jfeiro. We would love to see it when it is finished. What spurred the change in lifestyle?

Is your life better since you've downsized? Are you happier? Any regrets?

Day 4:
    One Ethan Allen 8 x 10 wool rug, worn out. (Trash)
    One 7' Couch (Sold)
    Weber Grill (Sold)
    Spare Propane Tank (Sold)

Thanks Slot machine, a lot of things went in to the decision to simplify and downsize but it really just came down to looking at stuff laying around the house/garage that we never used but kept because there might be a need for it one day. Our house was just your average 1800 sq. Ft. Tri-level house 3 bedroom 2 bath that with just the 2 of us seemed like a waste. When we actually sat down and looked at it we only really used 2 rooms but we had to heat/cool the entire house.

I guess I could ramble on but it just came down to realizing that bigger isn't always better just like more things aren't always better. Never was really interested in keeping up with the Jones's. We finally just decided what was mattered to us wasn't bigger and more. We spend most of our time outdoors and since we decluttered we didn't need all the extra "storage" rooms.

Are we happy, absolutely. Is our life better, not sure what you mean by that but I would have to say yes. As for the cabin we our building ourselves with no prior experience so it is nerve wracking and some days if you saw us working together you'd swear we hated each other and headed for divorce but at the end of the day we can stand back and see what we've accomplished, together, at that moment it's all worth it.

If you ever are headed to the basin we're at mm 79 on hwy 40 north side. If you do any geocaching I have placed a geocache on our property, not sure how to link it here on my phone but UT's called hwy 40 cedar rats I believe. 2 miles west of starvation res.
    Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the Grave in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ...Holy Shit... What A Ride!

13. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    I like that you are listing the items you're getting rid of in your sig. I was gonna suggest that.

Day four: threw away random red funnel, blue funnel, black trash can, red trash can.

Day 5:
    One calendar
    Two 16"x16" framed art from Target
    One bbq spatula
    One bbq fork

Quote Originally Posted by jfeiro View Post
    and are building a 20'x40' cabin

Oh man.... no way I could play this game. My garage is twice the size of your house. Where are you supposed to build the race cars at without a nice well equipped garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Great idea! I still have about 100-200 tools that are hardly worth selling (they are worth 5 bucks each, at best).
    And giving away tools?!? that's complete chaos....

You know where this is headed, right? You'll spend the next 11 months pissing off your neighbors by telling them how great this new lifestyle is, and then the rest of your life borrowing from them.

My brother decluttered most of his garage a few years back by giving away all his large tools (wheelbarrow, ladders, etc...) to the neighbors that always borrowed them. Now when he needs them he goes and asks to borrow the tool, no one would dare tell him no as he gave it to them originally... basically they store it for free and he has lifetime use. And he was able to increase his shop size due to the extra room!

Can everyone who is doing this PM me their address. If enough people do this I can fill in the empty spots in my garage in a week or so.

If only a few people are doing this locally I might only be able to come collect everything once a week.....

Thanks!

21. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    And giving away tools?!? that's complete chaos....
    The stuff I'd give away are things that I've only used once or twice and won't sell on KSL classifieds. Long bar clamps. Rivet gun. Breaker bar. Palm nailer. I have dozens of tools like these that just take up space.

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    My brother decluttered most of his garage a few years back by giving away all his large tools (wheelbarrow, ladders, etc...) to the neighbors that always borrowed them. Now when he needs them he goes and asks to borrow the tool, no one would dare tell him no as he gave it to them originally... basically they store it for free and he has lifetime use. And he was able to increase his shop size due to the extra room!
    That's the great thing about selling my Bosch table saw to a friend. He stores it, I have the cash from it, plus I can use it anytime.

Day 6:
    Two sawhorses (gave away)
    Two general purpose ropes (trash)
    One framed picture that I took in Hawaii (trash)
    One children's easel (gave away)

Day 6: donate one purse, two shirts, 3 pairs of high heels

Day 7: give to friend baby wipe warmer, baby travel bather, baby development gym, 2 hanging toys, 2 cube toys.

Well goll durn it, I still haven't thrown away that old bamboo planter

Day 7:

One DeWalt Sander Case (trash)
    One Home Depot Bucket (trash)
    One pair of shoes (trash)
    Two framed pieces of art (trash)
    Another framed photo from Hawaii (trash)

One Japanese Nambu pistol from WWII that I inherited from my grandfather. My grandfather was a Colonel in the Army and took the pistol after the Battle of Okinawa in 1945.

Today, I sold it to a really cool guy that knew much about its history and appreciated it much more than the average collector.

We spoke for a while before the purchase. He told me a story about when he and his half-Japanese son returned a Samurai sword to its owner after they found his address written underneath the wrapping on the handle. When they found the man at his home on a remote island he was 80 years old and wept when the sword was returned.

I probably sold it to him for a fraction less than I could have gotten from another buyer. However, that was a special item to me, so it was important to feel good about its destiny. The new owner plans to leave the gun to his son after he passes away.

Name:  P1010917.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  P1010918.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  P1010919.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  35.7 KB