Thread: Cassidy Arch Canyon, strangers, and a fellow spirit

Cassidy Arch Canyon, strangers, and a fellow spirit

I was tempted by this canyoneering route after seeing Kuya's rather engaging thread of him and Josh, and Josh's kids romp though this.

I'm not as experienced as Kuya, but I thought that it would be suitable for a Brit boy solo; if Kuya & Josh could do it with diapers and wetwipes in backpacks, then I could do it, being a grown man 'n' all.

Well things turned out slightly different, as is usual. I arrived on a November Wednesday morning at the trailhead, and not a soul was around, so I started to set off on the hike up. Not ten seconds later, I heard a large pick-up truck, which pulled in and disgorged three fellows with ropes and helmets.

I thought it would be rude of me to just walk off, so I turned around and went to make their acquaintance. It transpires that they are three locals from the Torrey area who, although quite experienced in canyoneering and other outdoor activities, had never descended Cassidy Arch Canyon, and today was the day.

(Me, Brit boy in the back of beyond with three local "canyoneero's" who looked like they would mug their own mothers)

Of course it turned out fine; we agreed to make a foursome, and rearranged ropes between us.

[Above: Cassidy Arch view from the approach hike]

On the walk up (it can hardly be desribed as a climb), they get to know me and I with them likewise. It transpires that they are just out for the morning, temporarily away from their day jobs as teachers and tutors at schools and outward-bound colleges for the local community.

So we find the tree above the first rapell. In the hour's walk up, we've all become quite firm friends. We sort out who's doing what and where and by whom, in which order:

[Above: Cassidy Arch view from the bottom of the first rapell]

[Above: A good thing we brought spare rope; the first one got stuck. Fortunately, we freed it with some judicious twisting & flicking. Ten minute delay]

Now we were in very humourous spirits, having had a full ten minutes of allocating bets as to whom was to go all the way back up the approach hike to retrieve the stuck rope. The rope was now down with us, so we could afford some hilarity.

[Above: Start of the second rapell, in full mirth]

The top of the second rap requires some sensibility; we sobered up a little. It's a reasonably exposed anchor. Tying in was the order of the day.

[Above: it's a wonderful descent into an almost-gloomy cave]

We luck out for the next rapells: we find canyon booty in the form of a blue 75-foot rope that a previous descender had got stuck. This saves us from having to get out our longer ropes (don't worry, we don't later find thirsty rope-less souls hoping for a rescue!).

The subsequent descents through the intricate hollows and arches are a delight:

When we exit back to the vehicles, I have three new firm friends and invitations to join them in the Torrey area next time. Thanks Larry, Dave & Weston!

Now that's the friendship of canyoneering!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome! Love that canyon! Glad to hear you made some more canyoneering buddies too. Making friends with others in the community is one of the best parts of this sport :)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

4. Likes harness man liked this post