Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need help deciding on a descender

Quote Originally Posted by harness man View Post
    Let us know how your CRITR works out!
    X2

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just saw this thread today. My two cents, for what its worth. I learned how to canyoneer with an ATC. I found it very useful as I got used to doing the sport. In low to moderate difficulty level of canyons, it worked well. As my skill and ability level increased, and as the difficultly level of the canyons also increased, I found the ATC to be less and less useful; I went to the ATS and found it to be to my liking. I used the ATS in descending Englestead, where the need for friction varied as the descent progressed, and I found the ATS to be very sufficient in that regard.

Nowadays, I seem to be doing more "wet" canyons found in visits to the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon; with wet ropes and varied length of rappels, I really do prefer the adjustability of the ATS. As for the thickness of ropes, we always carry a variety to suit the needs of the many.

While the CRITR looks interesting, the ATS serves me fine.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

4. Likes Eastoahu, harness man liked this post
    Hi Taatmk
    We went through the same progression as you have, starting with ATC devices, then moved on to the ATS (which we liked much better! ).
    No doubt: the ATS is a very fine piece of engineering.
    The whole CRITR thing came about because we experienced some things with the ATS that (eventually) seemed less than ideal.
    Desiree, at her weight, kept having trouble finding a "sweet spot" on the ATS that would run smooth (and not have the friction be too low).
    I would also end up with "jack hammering" on the friction setting I was comfortable with.
    The ATS has several options for choosing different friction levels BEFORE you start rappelling but adding friction AFTER the start is not secure: the "hyper horns" are just too small to hook the rope around and I had the rope jump off a couple of times which scared the -- out of me !
    Also we found that on some ropes, in some conditions the ATS would twist the rope up a lot.
    With friends on the ATS all rapping right handed, we would end up with a BIG rats nest towards the bottom of the rappel.
    In sandy canyons we found the ATS wore out REALLY fast.
    The CRITR was created to try to address these and other issues with both the Pirana and ATS.
    Did we succeed?
    Mostly, I think.
    Will EVERYBODY switch to the CRITR?
    Probably not....sniff, sniff...
    But there is SOMETHING, sort of intangible almost, about the security that the CRITR provides, that is very reassuring when you are hanging in space.
    Try out the CRITR when you get the chance sometime, and let us know what you think.
    Best
    Todd and Desiree

Well, I tried he critr and the 8.3 canyon fire rope this afternoon in the garage. Initial testing proved to be very good. I had no problems rappelling with it. I absolutely love how light this 150' of rope is compared to my 150' of 11mm. Thanks to everyone for helping me out with the choices. looking forward to getting it on some real height so I can really see how it performs.

7. Likes harness man liked this post
    Happy New Year, Swift One!
    here is a nice video Shane has posted on you tube of the big Englestead rappel using a CRITR
    http://youtu.be/ABVY2X5gybE
    Thanks for a great 2014 everyone!
    Getting fired up for the new year
    Best,
    Todd and Desi

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    I am willing to give the CRITR a try during our next Zion/Escalante trip in May/June.
    FWIW I use an ATC for all belay/rappel purposes when for Alpine rock/ice climbing here in Europe or in S America, but have always used a pirana for canyoneering.

In conjunction with one/two leg loop carabiners, I've never had a friction management issue in the 30 or so canyon trips we've done in Utah (including Englestead, Imlay, Icebox, etc). My one complaint about the pirana is how quickly the soft alumin(i)um ;-) wears out!

10. Likes Taylor liked this post
    And I am planning as well on trying the CRITR during the May-June trip Michael describes in the post above. As they say, great minds think alike!

So far always used a Pirana, however it's quick wear and the short horns are for me the reason to check other devices. I expect long horns to be easier to use. And I wanna become more experienced with other descending devices as well, even though the 'technology' used in these descenders is more or less equal....

12. Likes harness man, Michael_WB liked this post

14. Likes deagol, harness man liked this post
    Hang on to your TOTEM
    It is a great rigging tool!

16. Likes darhawk liked this post
    but i want an ATS D: lol