Thread: Sleeping Bag Recommendation

Blog Entries

Sleeping Bag Recommendation

I searched Bogley for recommendations on sleeping bags and didn't find a single thread dedicated JUST for sleeping bags.

I'm in the market for a new one and which ones do you guys recommend? I'm looking for one that is backpack compressible and at least temperate rated to 30 degrees F (and colder would be better but not an absolute). No preference to material. And price range is under $400. I have no preference on brands as I have only used one kind (a Coleman and it was a good one!).

I'm keeping my older Coleman sleeping bag as a car-camping bag, but a suggestion for one that can compress significantly smaller would be great.

Thanks!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Get a down bag rated for 20

I'd recommend you try to find an older MontBell Ultralight Super Stretch Down Hugger bag. The newer ones which are called Super Spiral would be my second choice, but the stretch ones seem more roomy. They have ballistic nylon which hugs to your body, but at the same time stretches to give you tons of room. I think they were one of the very best sleeping bags every made. There's a 15 degree on ebay right now at 300 bucks.

Its a little over your budge (Unless you look around) but the MH Phantom 15 is the best bag I have ever used.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens...ar-OU8484.html

I have been in 10deg weather and been perfectly comfortable in it. Compresses very well and is very comfortable. Highly recommended. I love this guy and take good care of him.
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

I also would recommend getting a slightly lower rating than what you think you might need.
    I used a North Face Cat's Meow for about 20 years until the dog claimed it.
    http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...ping-bags.html
    <$300
    My replacement will most likely be the North Face Blue Kazoo which is rated about 10 degrees lower. Hadn't really thought about changing brands, as the Cat's Meow was the cat's meow for me for 2 decades. They come in different lengths and R or L zipper.

Marmot Atom. Great bag.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence when it comes to temp's. Get a warmer rating, not lower. If you're not wearing all your clothes, you brought too much stuff...!

Hot water bottle in your bag with you can make a cool bag much warmer...so can a nice, light, sleeping pad.

If you're not wearing all your clothes, you brought too much stuff...!
    It depends on who your sharing a bag with.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I was going to suggest my current 20 degree bag from Western Mountaineering: Alpinlite 19 oz of down total weigh 1 pound 15 oz. Its a honey. Unfortunately it is a budget buster. I have 1 pound Mount Bell spiral bag that is great for summer plateau trips but it does not cut it for shoulder season (late Fall and early Spring). I got tired of freezing my ass off and bought a real bag. Super thrilled with the performance and the weight and I have obviously long forgotten what I paid for it-there is a test of what something is worth.

Ken

Blog Entries
    OH man...these are all tough choices! And thank you for providing the responses. I'm sure I'm not the only one benefiting from your responses.

I have been through every bag suggestion noted here, and looked up the details, specs and prices, and am definitely closer to finding one but nothing has been decided.

So here's a question: Do you guys use that same bag for every trip/every season? Or do you have multiple sleeping bags?

What I use to do was use my Coleman 0degree bag for everything, but it just would not compress down. WAY too bulky. But it was very comfortable (as it provides a lot of padding) and very warm. I hauled that thing down to the Havasupai campground and still curse that decision to this day... and want to avoid that this upcoming Spring. And not to mention the other countless backpacking canyons and hikes planned for next year.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I have three sleeping bags. The 2 pound 30 degree bag. A one pound 50 degree bag. Finally I have a synthetic 25 degree bag that I primarily use for car camping. I don't mountaineer any more but when I was active I also had a -10 degree bag. That bag died from a cleaning accident (don't ask).

Ken

WESTERN MOUNTAINEERING. Over the last three decades I've bought numbers of these bags; for close friends and family. They never disappoint. Currently I have three. Their newer bags come in both tapered style and semi-rectangular; depending on your body size and "style" inside a bag. They come in gortex, micro fiber or straight nylon covers. I normally use the micro fiber. They stuff small when traveling and are most comfortable when sleeping or lounging. I have WM bags that are temp rated from 15 up to 40 and then have an old (Sierra Trader) Marmot (down) bag rated to 0. And I still use (at times) a synthetic bag. 90% of the time though, I use two of my WM down bags.

If you are out for a deal; check veracity of temperature rate, weight, stuff size and user ratings. I've been in North Face, Marmot, Mountain Hardware bags and have given them all up for the Western Mountaineering style; and if I could, I'd trade in my old 20 degree nylon mummy for one of their newer super lite bags that are roomier, lighter and just as warm. Spend a week in the Wind Rivers or Escalante trekking and (packing your gear) and you will quickly learn to greatly appreciate (or scorn) the bag you carry, lay on and sleep in.

To those with other brand bags - that enjoy them. I compliment and recognize there is NOT a "one true" bag; and if it works for you fine. Myself I had years of semi annoyance when sleeping and then connected with WM and never left it. And the last two bags I got for "close" friends, they were "overfilled" in down, to increase the temp rating 5-10 (which can happen on most WM bags). Maybe there are other bags that are just as nice, overall? Feathered Friends once upon a time were King - but oh so pricey. If one is on the Wasatch Front, the IME Climbing Shop has some of the WM bags hanging and one can order from their shop any bag listed on the WM site - and extra fill can be added per request.

I'm NOT connected with any retail business or outfitter and have no affiliation with WM. The down side to some/many of their bags is the $ cost. If that is an issue, then look elsewhere on the net or in stores, or in the used market. A bivy sack over a bag can ramp up the temp rating along with covering the lower bag with a jacket; and/or wearing clothes. With the nice down bags, I never try to connect dirty/oily skin to the body of the inner bag. I often wear long leg (ski underwear), a long sleeve shirt and maybe a lite ski cap. Even in the warm desert I have the body mostly covered when in/or on the bag. If the bags are kept clean and dried out (after use) they last (seemingly) forever.

If you go with a Down bag, I would recommend getting one that uses Dri-Down or some other derivative. Most major manufactures of Down sleeping bags offer bags where the Down has been coated to delay/prevent the Down from absorbing water. There are a number of competing technologies to coat Down, but they all basically do the same thing. I have always preferred synthetic bags because normal Down holds moisture, and made me feel sticky on damp mornings. The coated Down eliminates moisture buildup in the bag.

The only reason I did not buy a Western Mountaineering bag was because they did not offer a Dri-Down filling. Instead I went with the Marmot Plasma 15, a great, but very expensive sleeping bag.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! That was REALLY hard for some reason. On second-thought, I guess its because I don't buy sleeping bags that often and therefore want a good one. (makes sense).

So, I went a few degrees cooler based on your recommendations and spent a little more money to get a higher quality bag.

I decided on the Marmot: Helium. I'm glad I went to REI to take a real look at when it is compressed. Pretty impressive! Definitely smaller than this synthetic bag that I have. And at 21 oz....much, much lighter!

Thank you Bogley family!
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"