Thread: SGR: The Slot Canyon

SGR: The Slot Canyon

A new book about canyoneering in Moab recently came out, and within its covers I found beta for SGR Canyon. Only two canyons in that book had a 5/5 star rating: Pleiades and SGR. I had done Pleiades before and LOVED it! Since this "new" canyon had a similar "star rating" as the favorite Pleiades canyon it made my "short" list, and I decided to make the trip happen soon!

<font color="#141414"><span style="font-family: Tahoma">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySqi...AG0xdYxxWscoIV

I really enjoy canyoneering in Moab. Yes, I know, most of the slot canyons near moab can hardly be called "slot" canyons, but, what they lack in "slotiness" they make up in providing great fun and breathtaking scenery! SGR was wonderful canyon. As I sit here and ponder upon my trip I get goosebumps thinking about all that I saw and experienced on this trip. It was a good one!

Full TH can be found here

Last edited by Kuya; 12-06-2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Added Video
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. Likes Udink, hikster11, Rob L liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Never heard of SGR. Known by any other names?

no. it is a newly beta'd canyon. :) came out in that new Moab Canyoneering book.
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Forgot to add the video link in the first post. Here it is :) Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySqiicq4Mdk&amp;list=PLTbhBXaS8jc5OfArFwWA G0xd YxxWscoIV
    My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Never heard of SGR. Known by any other names?
    http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...97095&z=18&t=s
    Blog | FB

That looks a lot better then the description in the book. Thanks for posting.

9. Likes Kuya liked this post
    When I saw the video, I thought it was near this spot.

"That spot" is the first serious scramble up the approach, and the last rap out.

Having done the hard work of SGR, we were wet by the time we prepared for this last rap, so the south-western sun at the top provided some welcome warmth against the chill of the water. We took a break and had a snack, before dropping over the sun-bathed lip for the exit hike.

Name:  IMG_0173.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  85.8 KB

12. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Check out the book Canyoneering Moab for good beta on this canyon. Mr. Woolfe has done an amazing job at writing this book. Souds like this is his Moab canyon baby. THANK you so much @Furthermore for sharing this canyon and doing all the hard to work so we don't have to!
    My YouTube Channel

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Forgot to add the video link in the first post. Here it is :) Enjoy.
    Great video: really captures the sense of the canyon. Keep up the good work!

Tom

15. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Great video: really captures the sense of the canyon. Keep up the good work!

Tom
    Thanks Tom. The videos are fun to make and help create kind of a video-journal-log of some of the places I have seen. I love to share them, and I love how making them helps me experience the canyon again.
    My YouTube Channel