Thread: Night Photography

Night Photography

There was a post on here some time this fall(maybe one or two months back) that included a discussion about night photography and some tricks on how to capture those brilliant Milky Way. Have not been able to find it using search. Anybody remember what thread?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Night Photos 5-22-14 by Tozo. I usually have more luck searching with my regular internet search because sometimes the exact phrases are unknown.

It's in Rock Art & Ruins forum.

Ask Kuya. He's an expert on night pictures.

I wish kuya knew! Haha. I'll be interested in the same thread.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

The only one I can remember recently is this post on the CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Ask Kuya. He's an expert on night pictures.
    Besides, I only have my GoPro to take night pictures with. It can do it now, BUT it is pretty limited. It's aperture is fixed at 2.2 and my ISO range is only between 100 - 800, and the max exposure time is 30 seconds. I guess it does have the ability to play with the white balance a bit too.

anyway, with the GoPro limited settings, i don't imagine it being able to capture Amazing shots of the Milky Way. BUT if there is a way, I wan't know. any pros out there that can help?
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Two basic ways of accomplishing the task if you want to get good stars without motion blur/star trails:
    1: Spend the $$ and get a tracking mount for your camera (this is cheap and light'ish: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ount_with.html)

2: Set your camera to a high ISO (1600+), wide-open f-stop (f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4) and a as short of a shutter speed you can get that will reveal anything (10-20 seconds). The image will be grainier, but you won't need the tracking mount. You will want a wide lens (10mm-20mm). Remote shutter release and mirror-lockup mode is a must to prevent any camera shake. Careful of your movement too, slightest bit of ground shake will blur your image. An okay guide right here: https://caindoherty.wordpress.com/20...d-dslr-camera/

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    There was a post on here some time this fall(maybe one or two months back) that included a discussion about night photography and some tricks on how to capture those brilliant Milky Way. Have not been able to find it using search. Anybody remember what thread?
    This one?
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...6-night-photos

and consider -are you car camping or backpacking for night shots - if car camping take a ROCK solid tripod and over strong ballhead. I scored a fantastic old-school tripod (3/8" screw) off Craigslist for a mere $100 - including insulation on the legs (metal legs are cold at night in the far north of Alaska, photographing Aurora at 3 a.m.). I bought a Chinese ball-head - great quality at a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Sombeech,
    That was the link I was looking for. Thanks for finding it. Very helpful along with other comments made here. Thanks to all.