Thread: Another "what rope should I buy" thread -- PacNW canyons

Another "what rope should I buy" thread -- PacNW canyons

Good morning/afternoon -
    It seems most of the rope threads have been targeted towards the canyons and soft sandstone of Utah - I am curious about rope choice for the wet and forest'y canyons of the Pacific Northwest.

I have 200' of Sterling CI-V which has served me well in many of our canyons, but 200' is a pretty short. I'd love 300+ feet of CI-V, but there is a cost factor there. I love the weight and feel of the Imlay Canyon Fire 8.3, but I feel that with our sharp rocks and trees, the 8.3 would have to be replaced pretty fast. So then I looked at the Sterling HTP 9mm. I use their 3/8 and 7/16 HTP for work and love it, but haven't used the 9mm yet...

Does anyone see any major issues using my 200' CI-V as the primary rope in the canyons and then the 300' HTP 9mm for the occasional long rappels (along with a 6mm pull cord)...

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrown View Post
    Good morning/afternoon -
    It seems most of the rope threads have been targeted towards the canyons and soft sandstone of Utah - I am curious about rope choice for the wet and forest'y canyons of the Pacific Northwest.

I have 200' of Sterling CI-V which has served me well in many of our canyons, but 200' is a pretty short. I'd love 300+ feet of CI-V, but there is a cost factor there. I love the weight and feel of the Imlay Canyon Fire 8.3, but I feel that with our sharp rocks and trees, the 8.3 would have to be replaced pretty fast. So then I looked at the Sterling HTP 9mm. I use their 3/8 and 7/16 HTP for work and love it, but haven't used the 9mm yet...

Does anyone see any major issues using my 200' CI-V as the primary rope in the canyons and then the 300' HTP 9mm for the occasional long rappels (along with a 6mm pull cord)...

Thank you!
    May I suggest the 9.2mm Canyonero?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

Tom
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

Tom
    I was looking at that, though, right now I can get 300' of CI-V for $273, the Canyonero is only $10 cheaper. But I do like the Imlay rope and their Sheath-Heavy design... just need one of each, then I don't have to decide ;)