Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canyoneering Vehicle Thoughts

I thought you wanted a 4x4? If that is not a requirement than you can toss out everything posted up to now. Nothing wrong with a Subaru, it just doesn't met your original requirements.
    I thought these were the requirements posted?

I live on the Front Range in CO so for me the ideal vehicle would need to be able to do a long round trip over mountains and back with 4 people and their gear safely(in bad weather), economically and comfortably.

I don't think any 4X4 really qualifies as "economical". The Samurai used to be, but wasn't exactly comfortable and was small and cramped. It was a lot of fun though and was surprisingly good off road. It was rated 28 mpg city 29 mpg highway. I actually got my stock one (except for the winch) up the Moab Rim once. Other than that, I can't think of any 4X4's that might qualify as economical.

It would be interesting, however, if manufacturers would apply the concept of the new F-150 into a smaller truck.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. Likes SRG liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    It also needs to be a sturdy home-base for the weekend, capable and reliable on gnarly desert dirt roads.
    To me gnarly desert dirt roads meant 4x4.... guess I was wrong... but then again I'm married so I'm used to being told I'm wrong ;-)

5. Likes mzamp liked this post
    Shane,
    You're correct that initially I was looking for the "ideal canyoneering vehicle". I'm slowly realizing that my eyes are bigger than my wallet, so unfortunately I'm now looking for the "not ideal but still pretty good and also affordable canyoneering vehicle"

To me gnarly desert dirt roads meant 4x4.... guess I was wrong..

I thought that it can mean that too, but on the other hand in the context of someone currently driving a Honda Civic and looking for economy, I took the meaning as possibly being different. It would be useful to find out exactly which areas SRG is planning on accessing.

Anyway, in the context of canyoneering, I'm pretty sure I could get my Subaru into or very close to almost all of the canyoneering TH's mentioned on climb-utah.com for example:

http://climb-utah.com/technical.htm

The only possible exception might be the Warm Springs area, but that would be the only one.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

8. Likes deagol liked this post
    For about 15 years I commuted into Denver (50miles RT). And then went to mtns mostly and occasional Utah trips. I drove a Honda Civic which I think is a great car and gets 40 mpg. So I saved a LOT of money, and was able to access almost every Mountain or Desert TH I wanted.
    I also used to ask a lot of questions about whether my car, or friend's Subaru's, could manage the Utah roads for canyons. The answer I got was 'well maybe'. Then we went out there and found out the answer was usually YES.
    There are some exceptions obviously - but a Subaru with a carrier can take 3-4 people and gear and get most anywhere.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    To me gnarly desert dirt roads meant 4x4.... guess I was wrong... but then again I'm married so I'm used to being told I'm wrong ;-)
    He's from ColoRAD-O. Says 'gnarly' every other sentence.

Jus' sayin'...

T

11. Likes Scott P liked this post
    My buddy has a Prius and although I felt a big drain of manliness just getting into it we made the drive from SLC to Zion and back on a single tank of gas.

Not saying it's a canyon vehicle by any stretch, but when you are scrapping your pennies together for a trip to the desert....you learn to swallow your pride a little.

Only those who chance going too far... Tapatalk
    "Only those who chance going too far can possibly know how far they can go."

This guy in Boulder *already* has your van for $3500. Check the pics!

https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/4786151356.html

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Shane,
    You're correct that initially I was looking for the "ideal canyoneering vehicle". I'm slowly realizing that my eyes are bigger than my wallet, so unfortunately I'm now looking for the "not ideal but still pretty good and also affordable canyoneering vehicle"

14. Likes ActionPacker, SRG liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionPacker View Post
    My buddy has a Prius
    LMAO

Not a chance in hell you will ever catch me in a Prius. I pee standing up....

Quote Originally Posted by skelley View Post
    This guy in Boulder *already* has your van for $3500. Check the pics!

https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/4786151356.html
    If Bill Cosby was a canyoneer, that would be his post-canyon "special martini" van.

I'll bet if you look at the scent on the little pine tree hanging from the rear-view, it says 'rape'.

---

So Sam, what is the price range now? I'm determined to help.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    LMAO

Not a chance in hell you will ever catch me in a Prius. I pee standing up....
    I know, we gave him a long winded razzing for it but it was the cheapest trip to hike Subway I ever had.
    "Only those who chance going too far can possibly know how far they can go."

I'll say it again...anything less than a full sized truck just won't do. Screw the gas cost.

This picture...three guys, skiing/backpacking expedition, coolers, mountain bikes and plenty of room in the cab.

Name:  7-22-2010 7;47;10 PM.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  70.5 KB
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

19. Likes Scott Card liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I'll say it again...anything less than a full sized truck just won't do. Screw the gas cost.

This picture...three guys, skiing/backpacking expedition, coolers, mountain bikes and plenty of room in the cab.

Name:  7-22-2010 7;47;10 PM.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  70.5 KB
    Which is why I have a 4 door Tundra, and a 4Runner

As much as I still love my old Wrangler I'd have to say; avoid it. By the time you add a tent, sleeping gear, ropes, wetsuits, extra clothes, food, water, cooking gear, and a cooler full of beer you only have room left for 1 passenger.
    I guess if you want to pony up for the 4-door it could work...

Name:  17 (Small).JPG
Views: 264
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  24.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  80.9 KB

22. Likes ratagonia, Byron liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skelley View Post
    you could keep your eyes on craigslist for an older 4x4 van. they turn up fairly cheaply once in a while.
    horrible gas mileage, right?

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    horrible gas mileage, right?
    Horrible is being kind....