Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Basketball - Runnin' Utes 2014-15

Another beat down...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think this game was intended to send a message to Arizona...after all, the sun devils beat Arizona when they played in Tempe a few weeks back.

The Utes are really good at home.

I have a good feeling about tomorrow's game. But if my feeling is crap...I at least hope it's a close game this time.

I think the deciding factor will come down to confidence. If the Utes let them get in their heads and get intimidated by them, the team will play tight and it will get ugly--again.

Also gonna need Bachynski and Olsen to step up and help underneath against their big guys.

Utes: 63

Wildcats: 60

GO UTES!

nml__lmn

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    The tent city has started.

Name:  tent city.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  73.7 KB
    Government subsidized student housing??
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

8. Likes rockgremlin, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    I really hate to say this....but I think they're going concrete camping for the opportunity to watch Arizona lock up the PAC-12. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

It would be sweet to see the home crowd chanting "over-rated!" back at Arizona like how their fans treated the Utes when they played in Tucson. Not many vegas betting sites are making predictions this early. The one site that I found results for had the Utes favored by 1.5 points.

Utah is a 1.5 favor all over Vegas. AZ and Utah have both been unbeatable at home and stumbled on the road. Also I think Utah's big men have improved a lot since the first game. I'll take Utah in a nail biter.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    It would be sweet to see the home crowd chanting "over-rated!"
    Utah fans have more class than the neanderthals in Tuscon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Utah fans have more class than the neanderthals in Tuscon.
    Not according to Max Hall...

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Not according to Max Hall...
    So.... how did that work out for old Max?

Snicker-snicker

And I have no problem with the over rated chant. Fans pay their money and deserve to have some fun. It's all just part of the game.

The Huntsman Center will be rocking. I'm picking the Utes.

Offensive struggles early...not good.

This is a dog fight.... both teams hitting hot and cold streaks.

That's all she wrote...not blocking out the free throw shooter cost them the game.

Oh well. Went just like I predicted. Utah had no answer for AZ's big men underneath.

Switching over to watch the Zags get pounded by BYU.

The Ute's should get one last shot at AZ this year... I'd laugh my ass off it they beat AZ in the PAC 12 title game.

MILLER: REFEREES RUINED THE PAC-12 “GAME OF THE YEAR”

It was a game that was dubbed as the Pac-12 “Game of the Year,” it was a battle of top-15 teams and it was Senior Night honoring the players that have helped revitalize a program.

The stakes were high, the crowd was amped and then the game was… well, it was tarnished.

For brief moments during Arizona’s 63-57 win over Utah we saw what it could have been, no, what it should have been — big time threes, slick drives and big defensive stands. The rest of the game (which sadly represented most of it) was filled with whistles, free throws and the image of the officials staring endlessly at the scorer’s table monitor.

Utah head coach Larry Krystkowiak said postgame that it was a great college basketball game.

No, Coach. It wasn’t, but it really should have been.

For the first time this season, and possibly this century, the Huntsman Center was full before tip-off. Emotional tributes to seniors Dallin Bachynski and Delon Wright were shown, glow sticks sparkled through the arena during intros and the crowd was fired up.

The fans knew the importance, they were ready for a bruising battle, but then the whistles came. Call after call was made and by halftime 25 fouls had been whistled. Things didn’t get much better in the second half either, as the refs added 21 more to their tally.

It became exhausting.

You know how the last minute of a basketball game can become excruciating with the constant fouling as one team desperately, and most of the time unsuccessfully, tries to give themselves a chance to catch up? Well, those watching Utah and Arizona got to experience that for nearly an entire game. Ladies and gentleman, your 2015 Pac-12 “Game of the Year.”

Anytime a player got touched, breathed on, hell, had somebody make a movement resembling a guarding position towards them, a whistle was blown. The game soon turned into a parade to the free-throw line, to the chagrin of pretty much everyone.

“It seemed like everything was a foul, every little bump,” Wright said.
    He wasn’t wrong.

And it wasn’t just one way, both teams had their fair share of what-the-hell calls go against them and the frustration slowly built. It simply killed every little bit of momentum to the contest.

All the whistles and all the fouls made the game move at a snail’s pace. There was hardly any offensive rhythm from either side and a game that some students spent close to 48 hours waiting in line for, turned to something that was being endured, not enjoyed.

It’s a shame really. After weeks of anticipation, three men in striped jerseys decided to put their stamp on the game, and then do it over and over and over again.

“I don’t think we have fouled that much all year,” Krystkowiak said. “That’s what made it difficult. It’s hard to find your rhythm on a game like that.”

It made it difficult to watch too. With a little luck, Arizona and Utah will match up one last time in the Pac-12 Tournament championship game.

Hopefully then fans will get to see that “great” game we all waited, and are still waiting, for.

r.miller@chronicle.utah.edu

http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/20...e-of-the-year/

I'm hoping the Utes finish the regular season strong with 2 wins on the road to give them some momentum going into the Pac 12 championship.

Utes: 76

Cougars: 62

Lookin' kinda sloppy right now...except for the slam by Reyes of course.