Thread: Hiking with a Rope, Tabernacle Dome

Hiking with a Rope, Tabernacle Dome

Andy and I have spent a fair amount of time exploring Tabernacle Dome in ZNP, and decided to show some friends some of our secrets yesterday! There's a bit of 3rd and 4th class with maybe a titch of low 5th, but the rewards are 1st class! Just one picture as a teaser; "Miss Kitty Slot", named during our ascent and descent yesterday!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We did that scramble a few years back using the beta in Courtney Purcell's book. (Out of print now?) That was a very fun hike with some nice scrambling sections. Wind picked up to where it was dangerous to descend that last friction section near the top, so we rapped it. Wind kept blowing our rope way off to the side. Absolutely splendid views from the top. Well worth the effort and only took an easy half day. We highly recommend. Here's a few of our photos.
    Name:  IMG_0865Adj.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  245.1 KBName:  IMG_6737Adj.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  139.1 KBName:  IMG_6772Adj.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  195.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Andy and I have spent a fair amount of time exploring Tabernacle Dome in ZNP, and decided to show some friends some of our secrets yesterday! There's a bit of 3rd and 4th class with maybe a titch of low 5th, but the rewards are 1st class! Just one picture as a teaser; "Miss Kitty Slot", named during our ascent and descent yesterday!
    You guys are the BEST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    We did that scramble a few years back using the beta in Courtney Purcell's book. (Out of print now?) That was a very fun hike with some nice scrambling sections. Wind picked up to where it was dangerous to descend that last friction section near the top, so we rapped it. Wind kept blowing our rope way off to the side. Absolutely splendid views from the top. Well worth the effort and only took an easy half day. We highly recommend. Here's a few of our photos.
    That was a couple years (few), as the home was still there down below! The Park Service purchased that inholding and now that cabin with beautiful deck is gone!
    If you drop off the south side of Tabernacle Dome, the plateau ridge below offers some really great exploration. We've even gone out to the south end and looked down on hikers exiting The Subway. Anyway...great photos you show! Courtneys book certainly had much inclusive. I had the pleasure to join him (and DB) on a few of the ascents featured in his book!

You guys are the BEST!!!

I know you are, but what am I?!

Thanks, Cameron, Mark, Molly and Marshall! (And Andy)!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    That was a couple years (few), as the home was still there down below! The Park Service purchased that inholding and now that cabin with beautiful deck is gone!
    If you drop off the south side of Tabernacle Dome, the plateau ridge below offers some really great exploration. We've even gone out to the south end and looked down on hikers exiting The Subway. Anyway...great photos you show! Courtneys book certainly had much inclusive. I had the pleasure to join him (and DB) on a few of the ascents featured in his book!
    Had no idea that the park had acquired that property. One of the best features of that climb is the view of the Guardian Angels. Having a closer view of the west side of North Guardian prompted me to put that as another potential route to try some day. I'm glad we got Coutney's book when we did. His book along with the beta/book you & Tanya have put out there have been our primary resource for our annual Zion visits. When we're able to make our annual vacation to that area, we like to mix the time up with not only canyons, but some Zion peaks, mountain & road biking. You live in a fabulous area.