Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solo trip beta request!

Solo trip beta request!

Hello! First time on here, though I've probably read hundreds of pages of forum posts and trip reports. Looking forward to posting more.

Thanks to the flexibility of my crunchy liberal arts school, I've managed to get a full week off next week and plan to be playing around the desert. I'm a solid trad and sport climber, well experienced desert trekker, and have ticked a handful of slots (my fav's so far: Neon, Egypt 3, Baptist Draw). I don't think I'll have a partner, so I'm looking for recommendations of mellow (mostly or fully non-tech) but beautiful canyons to hike/explore. Factors influencing my choices:
    • I will be solo, so sketchy down climbs or tricky potholes are a no
    • I would be comfortable rapping if the canyon is otherwise easy
    • I likely won't have a wetsuit, so lots of wading or any swims is a no
    • I will have my mountain bike, if that could be useful on any approaches or whatever
    • I'll definitely be doing some hiking in Canyonlands/Moab area, so I'd like to stay in that general vicinity

I've been looking at the Blue John system, but am having trouble figuring out which parts would have water or obstacles that I wouldn't want to do solo. And on the chance that I do find a partner for a day or two, are there any mega-classic technical slots in the area I really shouldn't miss?

Lastly, for those wondering, I have experience travelling off-trail solo and always leave detailed plans with friends and family, bring a SPOT device, and carry extra food/water/map.

Thanks!
    Nick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

4. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Aron????
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

6. Likes jman, MrAdam, Eric Holden liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Realponcho View Post
    Hello! First time on here, though I've probably read hundreds of pages of forum posts and trip reports. Looking forward to posting more.

Thanks to the flexibility of my crunchy liberal arts school, I've managed to get a full week off next week and plan to be playing around the desert. I'm a solid trad and sport climber, well experienced desert trekker, and have ticked a handful of slots (my fav's so far: Neon, Egypt 3, Baptist Draw). I don't think I'll have a partner, so I'm looking for recommendations of mellow (mostly or fully non-tech) but beautiful canyons to hike/explore. Factors influencing my choices:
    • I will be solo, so sketchy down climbs or tricky potholes are a no
    • I would be comfortable rapping if the canyon is otherwise easy
    • I likely won't have a wetsuit, so lots of wading or any swims is a no
    • I will have my mountain bike, if that could be useful on any approaches or whatever
    • I'll definitely be doing some hiking in Canyonlands/Moab area, so I'd like to stay in that general vicinity

I've been looking at the Blue John system, but am having trouble figuring out which parts would have water or obstacles that I wouldn't want to do solo. And on the chance that I do find a partner for a day or two, are there any mega-classic technical slots in the area I really shouldn't miss?

Lastly, for those wondering, I have experience travelling off-trail solo and always leave detailed plans with friends and family, bring a SPOT device, and carry extra food/water/map.

Thanks!
    Nick
    A similar thread popped up on the CC back in the summer. Canyon suggestions may or may not be relevant now, with shorter days and lower temps. Some of the more general safety statements are always relevant.

hank

Nick

I will bite a little on your questions. First welcome to Bogley. We love our noobies. We recognize that you never know who will become a productive and important contributor to the site. Our first priority is your safety. It is hard to answer your questions without sounding cynical or harsh. Remember, we have not done a canyon with you. Generally individuals new to the forum initially ask questions that frankly make Boglites as nervous as long tail cats in a room of rocking chairs. So in attempting to answer your questions, if we seem a bit cranky, again it is concern for your safety.

As it turns out simply driving out into the Colorado Plateau by yourself is associated with a finite mortality rate. You indicated that you attend a liberal arts school so I will recommend some reading for you. The more you know, the better prepared you are to survive the wonderful paradise you are interested in. First, specifically for canyoneering, most would agree that the most indispensable canyoneering necessity is a partner even for canyons of low technical difficulty. The reality is that these are extraordinarily remote bits of wilderness. Especially off season, if you twist an ankle or break a bone, the absence of a partner turns an unpleasant situation into a survival situation. We don't want to be reading about you as "an experienced outdoor sportsman survived by..." Off season, if no one knows you are overdue, no one will happen by and save you.

That is not to say that one can't navigate this land without a partner, but generally one needs a skill level where it is not necessary to post questions on this forum. I think it is harsh to say that if you have to ask, you are not there yet but I think there is something to this with the exception that there are those who don't ask questions and go out an do stupid things-go figure.

Regarding late Fall and early Winter season in particular, days are beautiful but short. This means an increased risk of being benighted. Do you have the navigation skills to get back to your car in the dark? Can you integrate the information from your GPS and your topo map in the dark. Do you have the gear and skills to bivouac if necessary? Nights are very cold and a space blanket is not going to keep you toasty in the ice box of a canyon you are stuck in. Are you carrying a 30 degree sleeping bag or a belay jacket to help you survive a cold night?

I have done Paria canyon many times solo but not so late in the season. It helps to have 14 hours of daylight. I think you might find many wonderful hikes in the Escalante area but you need to match them carefully to your skill level.

Spot-many people swear by it. I personally like the full on personal locator beacon that communicates to NOAA. I know I will reach someone if I hit the panic button. I use the MccurdoFastFind but the ACR ResQLink 406 GPS is also very good. These are likely to bing out of the canyon. Will your spot ping out of the canyon. Who knows where you are and do they know who to contact if you are overdue?

I think that you can find nontechnical things to do out there than will reduce your risks. However, best advice is to use this forum and the canyon collective to help find potential partners for your technical activities. Not only will you have a safer day, the social interaction is, I think, an important aspect of canyoneering.

Ken Steinsapir, M.D.

References:

Aaron Ralston. Between a rock and a hard place. Simon and Schuster (2004)

Michael Ghiglieri and Thomas Myers. Over the edge: Death in the Grand Canyon, Newly Expanded 10th Anniversary Edition. Puma Press, 2012

9. Likes DiscGo, nkanarik, harness man, jman, Kuya, ratagonia liked this post
    Nick,

I think Bluejohn is a good choice. If I was going in there alone this time of year, I would choose the non-tech walk in just down canyon from Little Blue. From the wash bottom you could walk up and enjoy the main fork slot, the lower slot in Little Blue and others--go as far as you feel comfortable and return the same way. The West fork of Bluejohn is also an option, but I haven't been in it so I'm not sure.

Err on the side of caution and have a good time.

Good luck and post some pics when you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Nick

I will bite a little on your questions. First welcome to Bogley. We love our noobies. We recognize that you never know who will become a productive and important contributor to the site. Our first priority is your safety. It is hard to answer your questions without sounding cynical or harsh. Remember, we have not done a canyon with you. Generally individuals new to the forum initially ask questions that frankly make Boglites as nervous as long tail cats in a room of rocking chairs. So in attempting to answer your questions, if we seem a bit cranky, again it is concern for your safety.

As it turns out simply driving out into the Colorado Plateau by yourself is associated with a finite mortality rate. You indicated that you attend a liberal arts school so I will recommend some reading for you. The more you know, the better prepared you are to survive the wonderful paradise you are interested in. First, specifically for canyoneering, most would agree that the most indispensable canyoneering necessity is a partner even for canyons of low technical difficulty. The reality is that these are extraordinarily remote bits of wilderness. Especially off season, if you twist an ankle or break a bone, the absence of a partner turns an unpleasant situation into a survival situation. We don't want to be reading about you as "an experienced outdoor sportsman survived by..." Off season, if no one knows you are overdue, no one will happen by and save you.

That is not to say that one can't navigate this land without a partner, but generally one needs a skill level where it is not necessary to post questions on this forum. I think it is harsh to say that if you have to ask, you are not there yet but I think there is something to this with the exception that there are those who don't ask questions and go out an do stupid things-go figure.

Regarding late Fall and early Winter season in particular, days are beautiful but short. This means an increased risk of being benighted. Do you have the navigation skills to get back to your car in the dark? Can you integrate the information from your GPS and your topo map in the dark. Do you have the gear and skills to bivouac if necessary? Nights are very cold and a space blanket is not going to keep you toasty in the ice box of a canyon you are stuck in. Are you carrying a 30 degree sleeping bag or a belay jacket to help you survive a cold night?

I have done Paria canyon many times solo but not so late in the season. It helps to have 14 hours of daylight. I think you might find many wonderful hikes in the Escalante area but you need to match them carefully to your skill level.

Spot-many people swear by it. I personally like the full on personal locator beacon that communicates to NOAA. I know I will reach someone if I hit the panic button. I use the MccurdoFastFind but the ACR ResQLink 406 GPS is also very good. These are likely to bing out of the canyon. Will your spot ping out of the canyon. Who knows where you are and do they know who to contact if you are overdue?

I think that you can find nontechnical things to do out there than will reduce your risks. However, best advice is to use this forum and the canyon collective to help find potential partners for your technical activities. Not only will you have a safer day, the social interaction is, I think, an important aspect of canyoneering.

Ken Steinsapir, M.D.

References:

Aaron Ralston. Between a rock and a hard place. Simon and Schuster (2004)

Michael Ghiglieri and Thomas Myers. Over the edge: Death in the Grand Canyon, Newly Expanded 10th Anniversary Edition. Puma Press, 2012
    Ken,
    I really appreciate you taking the time to put together that -- though lengthy -- extremely informative post. I was hoping that my brief disclaimer at the end of my post and specifications would be enough to have Boglites trust my own decision making and give me honest recommendations but apparently this was not the case. With hundreds of days in the backcountry, many of which on the Colorado Plateau, and many of which solo, I am well aware of the risks associated travelling anywhere remote alone. Furthermore, the WFR and AMGA SPI courses I have taken, supplemented by plenty of time outside have been paramount in the development of my risk assessment and decision making skills. These are the reasons I specified I am looking for recommendations of non-technical canyon hikes. The only reason I mentioned rappels was in the event that there was a great, otherwise easy canyon that earns a technical grade because of a rappel.

With regards to the literature, I've read (and when relevent, utilized):
    • All of the Steve Allen books cover to cover and completed a number of his longer multi-day loops hikes as well as devised and carried out my own modifications
    • The Kelsey Technical Guide to Colorado Plateau
    • For survival tales: Between A Rock and A Hard Place, Into Thin Air, and Touching Void
    • Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills
    • The American Alpine Journal and American Alpine Club Accident Reports from the past few years

• Desert Solitaire
    • Additionally, I've read most of the available info online regarding canyoneering technique and routes

For now the SPOT is my device of choice, mainly due to financial constraints. I leave specific route plans and exact times of when to take action if I have not yet been in contact with the contacts connected to my SPOT device.

In response to the "if you have to ask..." concept, I also believe it holds some merits. However, in the other sports I thrive on, climbing, mountain biking, and backpacking, it is very common for people to ask for recommendations on what the "must do" climbs, rides, or hikes are in a particular area and what the difficulty is. This was my only intention. I could understand your concern if my post was something along the lines of "heading into Blue John solo! Could someone tell me which part of an ATC the rope goes into?"

If you had read my post a little more carefully you would have noticed I am exactly looking for non-technical canyons as you recommend. Escalante is one of my favorite places in the world and I have a had many wonderful days of wandering there (solo and with partners). But again, as I said in my original post, I will be in the Canyonlands/Moab area so I don't think I will be making the haul down to Escalante.

I hope I don't come off too harshly here, I really appreciate your response and again, look forward to getting more involved. I'll check out "Over The Edge", I've heard good things.

N
    Last edited by Realponcho; 11-18-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Nick,

I think Bluejohn is a good choice. If I was going in there alone this time of year, I would choose the non-tech walk in just down canyon from Little Blue. From the wash bottom you could walk up and enjoy the main fork slot, the lower slot in Little Blue and others--go as far as you feel comfortable and return the same way. The West fork of Bluejohn is also an option, but I haven't been in it so I'm not sure.

Err on the side of caution and have a good time.

Good luck and post some pics when you get back.
    Thanks Dave!
    THIS was exactly what I was looking for. I think that will be one of my tentative plans. I definitely want to check out the rock art in Horseshoe canyon too, sounds very cool.

N

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Nick

Did not mean to offend. Carry on.

Ken

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Nick

Did not mean to offend. Carry on.

Ken
    I applaud Ken's post.

But seriously, there is so much frakking information available...

People who usually post this kind of hugely non-specific request are usually clueless as in Run Away Run Away. You are clearly not in this category, so it is hard to parse what it is we should throw out to you. There's an awful lot of information available on the web, and in the books you already have... It might be more helpful if you would narrow it down and ask about specific canyons, or specific areas. You basically asked about an area with 500 canyons in it, and provided very little qualifying information about yourself.

My advice - spend your time in the Needles District of Canyonlands. Great Stuff there.

Tom

16. Likes DiscGo, hank moon liked this post
    Nick,

Your first post is reminiscent of my cringeworthy first post. That being said, I highly highly highly recommend trying to find some partners because it's a lot safer and in my opinion more fun.

If you go the solo route look into Little Wildhorse Canyon, Chamber of the Basilisk, or any of the slots mentioned in the thread linked above.

Welcome to Bogley.

Sam

18. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Nick,

Your first post is reminiscent of my cringeworthy first post. That being said, I highly highly highly recommend trying to find some partners because it's a lot safer and in my opinion more fun.

If you go the solo route look into Little Wildhorse Canyon, Chamber of the Basilisk, or any of the slots mentioned in the thread linked above.

Welcome to Bogley.

Sam
    You can also, on weekends, wander into the Sandthrax campsite, check people out and troll for a canyon invite. Plenty of friendly canyoneers about...

Tom

If you are going to be in the area of BlueJohn, Moonshine Wash is also an option for a non technical solo person. A couple of the downclimbs would result in a bad time if you mess up but lots of people do the canyon and don't get messed up so... judge it as you will.

Nick, welcome to Bogley!

*PREACHER BOB STEPS TO THE PULPIT*

**BLACK SOUTHERN PREACHER VOICE, LOUD BUT FRIENDLY, ECHOING OFF THE WALLS OF THE HOLY CHURCH OF BOGLEY**

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    I highly highly highly recommend trying to find some partners because it's a lot safer and in my opinion more fun.

Sam
    "BROTHER SAM HATH SPOKEN THE TRUTH!!"

congregation: Amen pre-hca Bob, Amen.

"Do NOT deluuude yourself brother Nick! Canyoneering is NOT a sport to be taken lightly!"

congregation: Amen pre-hca Bob, Amen.

"HERE are the ten commandments of noobie canyoneering:

1. Thou shalt find somebody to teach you how to canyoneer.
    2. Thou shalt always canyoneer with other people.
    3. Thou shalt wear a helmet.
    4. Thou shalt never poop in a canyon.
    5. Thou shalt not presume that skills in other sports apply to canyoneering.
    6. Thou shalt always carry rope, until you are no longer a noobie.
    7. Thou shalt not tempt fate by canyoneering late in the day, in the heat of the summer, during a thunderstorm, or with Meetup groups from Colorado.
    8. Thou shalt never complain.
    9. Thou shalt not try to lead other noobies.
    10. Though shalt bring coooollld beverages for those that have been patient enough to teach you."

congregation: Amen pre-hca Bob, Amen! *Smattering of applause*

"YOU, brother Nick can learn from our experience and do things the fun and easy way! OR YOU MAY WASTE TERRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE AMOUNTS OF TIME AND MONEY WANDERING THROUGH THE DESERT!"

congregation: HALLELUJAH! *more applause, people rise and put their hands in the air*

"Let brother Tom speak to ya!"

congregation: AMEN!

"Let brother Shane speak to ya!"

"Let brother Ram speak to ya!"

"IN THE NAME OF THE LEFT, THE MIDDLE, AND THE RIGHT LEPRECHAUNS,

AMEN!"

Name:  church.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  57.3 KB

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Nick, welcome to Bogley!

*PREACHER BOB STEPS TO THE PULPIT*

**BLACK SOUTHERN PREACHER VOICE, LOUD BUT FRIENDLY, ECHOING OFF THE WALLS OF THE HOLY CHURCH OF BOGELY**....

LMAO

Best post on bogley, possibly the internet.

23. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by summitseeker View Post
    LMAO

Best post on bogley, possibly the internet.
    Gotta agree - heck, I bothered to look-up my password so that I could post.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

25. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    I'm self employed...and as most people who work for themselves know, everything goes swimmingly well until you have to rely on other people.

In other words, occasionally the client I'm supposed to work for next week hasn't got their act together, therefore leaving me with a choice...insert someone else into that spot or take off to the desert.

I've done hundreds of hikes all by myself. Some epic backpacks, some technical canyons. Back in the day before cell phones, I'd tell someone to go look for my truck if I didn't return by a certain date. Most of the time I couldn't tell anyone where to look for it, as I'd likely just be wingin' it.

Here I am, going through a canyon, with ropes, all by my lonesome...having a great time. Just know your limits and slow down with the moves. Ralstons' big mistake is that he didn't tell anybody anything.

Quite frankly, I feel a whole lot safer out there by myself than I do driving down I-25 here in Denver at 8 o'clock in the morning...with everyone in a big hurry weaving all over the road while they're fingering their devices.

Name:  P8030023.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  95.9 KB
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Nick, welcome to Bogley!

7. Thou shalt not tempt fate by canyoneering .......with Meetup groups from Colorado.

Bob

Care to share? Got to be a good story behind this one.

Ken

Bob

Care to share? Got to be a good story behind this one.

Ken
    Tom firing both barrels at canyon leader extraordinaire. Good stuff.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...rax-flashflood

I loved that they passed around a hat donating to SAR at their canyon meetups. Paying in advance? So damn funny.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Tom firing both barrels at canyon leader extraordinaire. Good stuff.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...rax-flashflood

I loved that they passed around a hat donating to SAR at their canyon meetups. Paying in advance? So damn funny.
    Fun thread.

Ice got in some great lines too.

(sniff) I take great pride in my work.