Thread: Sport rappelling near point-of-the-mountain

Sport rappelling near point-of-the-mountain

Planning on Thanksgiving weekend activities and wondering about any good rappelling sites near the Highland/Draper/Lehi/Bluffdale/etc. area - or further out. I would probably have a few newbies and would like a simple site with good access. Easy starts, 30-60 foot drops, non-exposed setup area. I'll save the hard stuff for after they're bitten.

Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Battle Creek falls is a good place :)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

There's a rappel spot about a mile past the pay station up American Fork Canyon (map). It's a small pullout that can hold 3 or 4 cars with the cliff right there.
    The biggest rappel is 65' with the last half free hanging. There are many spots to set up smaller rappels though I haven't ever tried.
    There are bolts up top but because they are on the ground, the start will be awkward for those rappels.
    Going up the right side to get to the top is easier than going up the left.
    If you have a National Park Pass you can get in for free. Otherwise I think it's $6 per vehicle.

Advantages - probably the closest place, right off the road, several places to set up rappels of varying lengths.
    Disadvantages - without a pass you will have to pay, some rappels starts are awkward.

5. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Pete’s rock at the Mt Olympus trailhead is a good place I have used a few times. There is a spot with a 10’ drop followed by a 60’ drop. This is a great area to teach noobs and give them some confidence. They can get comfortable on the 10’ drop then do the 60’ drop. There is a large 30’ ledge between drops so, no awaked start to repel.

Red Rocks in Draper is an ok place to rappel. I have taken a scout groin there. Easy walk to the top, decent distance....

Quote Originally Posted by jaredr View Post
    There's a rappel spot about a mile past the pay station up American Fork Canyon (map). It's a small pullout that can hold 3 or 4 cars with the cliff right there.
    The biggest rappel is 65' with the last half free hanging. There are many spots to set up smaller rappels though I haven't ever tried.
    There are bolts up top but because they are on the ground, the start will be awkward for those rappels.
    Going up the right side to get to the top is easier than going up the left.
    If you have a National Park Pass you can get in for free. Otherwise I think it's $6 per vehicle.

Advantages - probably the closest place, right off the road, several places to set up rappels of varying lengths.
    Disadvantages - without a pass you will have to pay, some rappels starts are awkward.
    Is the American Fork spot on the south side of the road? It looks like you would be coming down right into the east-bound lane of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Is the American Fork spot on the south side of the road?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    It looks like you would be coming down right into the east-bound lane of traffic.
    The street view does make it look like there's not a lot of room, but it also makes it look like Jesus is on rappel. There's plenty of room there. It's probably 50' from the bottom of the rappel to the road.

Also, I would recommend Pete's Rock over this place if you're willing to drive a few minutes more. It's a larger area and doesn't have the awkward start. But if not this is still a good place.
    I haven't been to Red Rocks in Draper.