Thread: Sept. 27th 2014 - Zion main canyon during heavy rain

Sept. 27th 2014 - Zion main canyon during heavy rain

Good evening, here is a short summary of my last visit to Zion, when I had the opportunity to experience some pretty impressive rain

Expecting heavy rain I headed out to the main canyon, taking a short stop at the Mesa road to get the view from a higher location. In the distance storms were heading my way, it was great to see.

Name:  DSC01198__.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  18.4 KB

Within about 15 minutes the storm was quite near, clouds covering the views I was experiencing. After some nice ones like this

Name:  DSC01211.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  28.3 KB

I left to go to Zion. I parked my car near canyon junction to head for the busstop, and changed from dry to almost completely soaked within seconds. My raincoat kept up for some time, my pants were soaked in seconds. I was accepting that price. Heavy rain... what I hoped for. Always hoped to have the opportunity to see some waterfalls and flash floodings from a safe situation. What does Zion look like then?

Well, unbelievably beautiful as always, just in another amazingly stylish way. First big waterfall I saw and I decided to visit her. I'm not sure which canyon this is, is this the exit of Lodge canyon?

Name:  DSC01252.JPG
Views: 624
Size:  283.0 KB

Next I headed to weeping rock busstop, hoping Echo canyon would be flooding. And it was. Big waterfall coming down from lower Echo canyon, pouring over weeping rock. I decided to hike up to see what the flood looked like exiting upper Echo canyon.

The weather every now and then slightly changed. Clouds travelling through the main canyon. Heavy rain every now and then, fantastic experience!

Name:  P9270413_.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  48.5 KB

From a slightly higher point of view, these were the views I was enjoying.

Name:  DSC01276_.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  112.5 KB

Refridgerator canyon flooding as well

Name:  DSC01257.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  114.4 KB

When the rain really started pouring down again, I decided to have a stop to eat lunch below a small ledge. The path I was walking on a minute before was getting a waterfall from above. Next another waterstream appeared next to me. That was still fun, untill it started raining rocks as well. I got a little les comfortable here.... I think you'll understand...

Where I was standing was the safest place, flat against the wall rocks would fly over me. Didn't expect to ever be saying this, but I was really missing my helmet at that moment.....

Getting to the top I had a short chat with Felicia, who recognized me from my previous trip to Zion. Great to see other people enjoying this weather as well!
    Getting near the beginning of lower Echo canyon, my hope to see the exit of upper Echo canyon faded. I couldn't make the last corner to the right.

Name:  P9270401.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  97.9 KB

In the bushes in the back a man was waiting the flood to come to an end. He got stuck on the other side if the stream...

After heading down again, I shortly walked up to Hidden canyon, but waterfalls pouring down on the path made me decide to head back.
    Getting down at the parking lot from the bus driver I heard they were closing the park because of a mud slide over the main canyon road.

We were heading in the Temple parking lot direction, where I shortly visited the area. Riverside walk was closed. Another big waterfall.

Name:  DSC01311.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  130.3 KB

Well, I was getting cold, decided to head back to canyon junction, where Pine Creek head become Pine 'River'. The road to the east entrance was closed, but the ranger allowed me to walk to the bridge over Pine Creek. Again the view was unbelievable...

Name:  P9270451_.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  68.2 KB

After that I was really cold, heading back to my hotel for a hot shower. The storm had passed by now.
    Just one last stop. The bridge near canyon junction. In sunset it can be beautiful, now it looked like this

Name:  P9270479.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  79.5 KB

Well, this day for me was a great experience. By now I've seen Zion in winter with snow, in spring and fall. Heavy rain is now on that list as well. All of them are beautiful in their own unique way. This was an exceptional bonus on a great holiday for me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great pictures and description, Maarten .