Thread: The Desert Rat

The Desert Rat

Bo Beck's store, The Desert Rat, got shoplifted yesterday and I'm posting here in case any folks in Southern Utah might see this guy. His bike stands out pretty much with all the gear and Canada flags.

Original Post (from FB):
    We're normally pretty easy going here at The Rat, but there are times that our patience is tested. Yesterday a fellow came into the store at around 10AM and perused our store. When he walked out unobserved we noticed that a $500 Mountain Hardwear Hardshell Jacket was missing. We had noticed him the previous day when he had obsessed over this jacket, and yesterday he was seen trying the jacket on again! After review of our in-store video, we're convinced that he left the store with the jacket, un-paid for! Here is the vehicle he is travelling upon. If you see him on your premises, be aware that he may be a concern!

Name:  DRbike.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  97.8 KB

Facebook Post:
    https://www.facebook.com/TheDesertRa...type=1&theater

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I presume someone took a picture of this guys ride because it's so weird looking. I look at that thing and it just screams "mental illness".

Obviously, that guy really needed a better jacket. Personally, I think anything that's worth 5 hundies and can be stuffed into your pants should be better secured. I'll bet he feels just awesome riding around wearing that thing.

If he had stolen from me, I'd probably go out looking to replicate the scene at the end of "Easy Rider".

I'd never steal anything like that...even if I couldn't afford it, I have that Ayn Rand philosophy...you want it, give something for it. In other words, I would mop, paint, dust, rake, scrub toilets or otherwise give up some labor in exchange for the jacket.

Someone should give that guy a copy of "Atlas Shrugged". However, judging by the bike, the weight of the book might push him over the tipping point.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

We can teach people not to steal without referring to the pseudo philosophy of Alisa Rosenbaum. An author obsessed with selfishness, who rejected altruism, would be a less than ideal antidote to theft.

Hopefully the thief is caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes DiscGo, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by villainousturtle View Post
    the pseudo philosophy of Alisa Rosenbaum.
    Who said anything about "teaching" him, or anyone, not to steal?

I was referring to an exchange for the goods as an alternative to theft. That is exactly what she said as well...have you read the book? It has a LOT to do with theft.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Blog Entries
    Re-posting this from "the Desert Rat" Facebook page:

"Over a month ago there was an event here at The Desert Rat that changed the life of an individual. A mistake was made by a person that came back and bit him HARD! Today on the Eve of Christmas I want to post a letter that was written by this individual as he reflects on his past blunder. Call me sentimental or what you wish, but I believe that the letter shows a true heartfelt sincerity, and I personally forgive this individual, and hope we all have the strength to put aside some of our own ill feelings, and basque in the joy of a Beautiful Season and reflect on the positiveness of the past year, and move on to a New Year of superb adventures to come. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Everyone from the "Rats" here at The Desert Rat!"

Name:  10485516_901772826512181_2727870140067575490_o.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  84.4 KB
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

8. Likes ratagonia, DiscGo liked this post
    Rubbish.

Every paragraph begins with "I" so this has been composed by the perpetrator's solicitor (or Lawyer).

Merry Christmas to the Perpetrator's lawyer too. He or she must have a family too I guess.

11. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Rubbish.

Every paragraph begins with "I" so this has been composed by the perpetrator's solicitor (or Lawyer).
    If this might make you feel just a little twinge of satisfaction:

The jacket he stole was on sale for $250. I'm thinking he wishes he'd paid the sale price? Recompense...............$575 Cash.....Paid in Full!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Rubbish.

I feel like most of my sentences start with "I" and I honestly don't know how to make that switch. I know you can start with "It seems to me", or "My actions were this" but in the end I do feel like I would do well to learn to better use less "I"s when started sentences.

P.S. Yes, I know that I started my sentence with an "I" :-)
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

14. Likes jman liked this post