Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lomatium - Fiery Furnace

Lomatium - Fiery Furnace

Was wondering if anybody has legally done the Lomatium route since the new park canyoneering regulations went into effect and how/where they set up the rappel from the vicinity of Abbey Arch. Be careful what you confess to here - park officials may be monitoring. Here is the link to those regulations: http://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/canyoneer.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We did this route a few weeks ago.

There is a descent position to place a sandtrap.

Head of the drainage. You can sling a tree or a chokestone. It's easy to figure out. The last few times through there has always been webbing on one or the other so those are the most obvious. There are at least half a dozen other options that are within the rules that anyone with mediocre canyoneering skills should be able to figure out. If that don't work you can always reverse course and come back another day. It's not like you're trapped if you can't figure it out.

On a side note this might be a good spot for a well established bolted anchor if the park would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    On a side note this might be a good spot for a well established bolted anchor if the park would agree.
    Agree with this comment in this case. I think in the long run, a bolt will be less intrusive from the park's viewpoint than multiple slings showing up that are left behind in various places. Afterall, the next rappel down canyon is bolted! My inquiry was primarily to find out what others are doing so as to help establish a consistent use and help keep this route open.
    Instead of using a retrievable sling setup or leaving a permanent sling somewhere, another possibility would be to use a 200 foot rope with a Fiddlestick or similar device and pull cord. Just don't have a fresh enough visual memory of that place to recall if the 200 will still reach the floor and if you can have a clean release.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Agree with this comment in this case. I think in the long run, a bolt will be less intrusive from the park's viewpoint than multiple slings showing up that are left behind in various places. Afterall, the next rappel down canyon is bolted! My inquiry was primarily to find out what others are doing so as to help establish a consistent use and help keep this route open.
    Instead of using a retrievable sling setup or leaving a permanent sling somewhere, another possibility would be to use a 200 foot rope with a Fiddlestick or similar device and pull cord. Just don't have a fresh enough visual memory of that place to recall if the 200 will still reach the floor and if you can have a clean release.
    A 200 will reach easily from the tree. Fiddlestick works fine there.

Fiddlestick and sandtrap are outside the skill and comfort range of 90% of your average canyoneers. Lomation is a trade route and a simple and safe anchor needs to be established. Mishaps at this location will do nothing to forward canyoneering inside the Fiery Furnace where it is already on thin ice. Sounds like this would be an ideal project for the CAC to invest some energy in.

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    We did this route a few weeks ago.

There is a descent position to place a sandtrap.
    Is filling a sandtrap or potshot allowable under the new rules? I know they won't allow rock farming - which is part of why they won't allow deadman anchors, but they can also get rather touchy about their sand as well since they want us to avoid walking on sand hills, etc. - might have crypto-critters. Shane - did you ever have any specific discussion about sandtraps & potshots with them?

Lomation is a trade route.
    how so? it is almost impossible to find beta on this canyon. How can it be a trade route if no one knows how or where to find it (without a guide)?
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

10. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    No... but than again I don't use a sandtrap and there is no reason to use a potshot in Arches. In fact up until now there was no reason to carry a sandtrap in Arches.

While not specifically mentioned in the Arches rules my take is a sandtrap doesn't meet the spirit of the new rules. It would be nice if the canyoneering community took a proactive approach and established a simple and non invasive solution to this rappel. I hope to be down in Moab sometime in the next month. I'll try to look at it than if someone hasn't figured something out beforehand.

How can it be a trade route if no one knows how or where to find it (without a guide)?
    Actually a lot of people do that canyon. The only reason that it's not betaed on the internet is because if it were, the NPS would probably close it.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

The tree is a long ways from the edge. If you do not extend the webbing out it is a bear to pull. Common sense says allow us to use the arch. It's only 30 ft in diameter. I doubt we could hurt it. Otherwise we need some bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Actually a lot of people do that canyon. The only reason that it's not betaed on the internet is because if it were, the NPS would probably close it.
    Oh i agree. almost every time I have gone I have ran into other groups doing the canyon. Just amazed at the popularity with how hard it is to get beta.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Oh i agree. almost every time I have gone I have ran into other groups doing the canyon. Just amazed at the popularity with how hard it is to get beta.
    But it's pretty easy to find someone to show you the route. I don't know anyone that has been forced to go without if they really want to do the route. I've personally taken well over 100 canyoneers through Lomatium and the only thing I ask in return is that they pay it forward.

Well over 100?

Legendary!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Well over 100?

Legendary!
    I showed it to over 30 people when I held a Rondy there several years ago,during a weekend, 100 doesn't seem out of line.

Moab Mark showed it to me and I'm relatively certain he's taken well over 100 folks through.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Well over 100?

Legendary!
    I've been doing Lomatium for over 15 years. I have also organized/been part of four different Moab canyon fests/rondy's where Lomatium is always a high priority and was often led multiple times. If you're bright enough do the actual math and you will notice well over 100 is well within reason. I know 100 is more than your number of fingers and toes, but give the math a whirl, you might be pleasantly surprised how simple it is to reach 100 when you make giving back to the canyon community a priority.

Giving back?
    ...Says the guy who SELLS beta

I give away a lot more beta than I sell. Anytime you want to compare who has donated and contributed more of their time, energy and money to the canyon community feel free to step up.

Come to think of it, have you done anything charitable for canyoneering? Ever organized a rendezvous? Worked with land managers to open or keep open a route or area? Ever taught free canyoneering classes? Worked with local and national media for the betterment of canyoneering? Ever done anything we could consider giving back to the community?

The only thing I have seen you do is try and intimidate and make fun of noobs that visit the forums looking for help and answers.

21. Likes Slot Machine, xxnitsuaxx liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Come to think of it, have you done anything charitable for canyoneering?

Yes, but somehow I manage it without so much self promotion