Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nov 14-16 Frost Fest Canyoneering Gathering?

That makes sense. thanks for the explanation :)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

in reading Hikster11's post, it is one of the very few situations that the Buckle might have been better than a Fiddlestick.

4. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post
    I actually first wrapped the rope around the main trunk of the tree and put the fiddle stick passed the section of rock in front of the tree. I then pulled it out and pulled the rope to feel the resistance of pulling the rope around the tree. It was high and I was concerned about being able to pull the rappel rope from the bottom. I think it would be very difficult or not possible. I decided I wanted the shortest amount of rope to have to slide around the tree for ease of the pull and not to mark the tree. That is why I put it on the closest branch to the drop that could support the weight. I would say it took about 200 lbs to pull the stick. My body weight was not enough. Another thing that I think could have made for the difficult pull was that I used my Sterling C4 rope to pull the stick. It is pretty stretchy using the full 200 ft. I think it absorbed alot of my energy trying to pull the stick. Had I used my Imlay rope I think the pull might have came out on my first tug. The tree is back at least 40 to 50 ft from the drop.
    (Just wanted to point out how intelligent this approach to using the tools is. Thanks for taking the time to figure it out and do it right!)

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    in reading Hikster11's post, it is one of the very few situations that the Buckle might have been better than a Fiddlestick.
    What is the Buckle?

What is the Buckle?
    It's a releasable anchor system...

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...68/#post-75840

I actually first wrapped the rope around the main trunk of the tree and put the fiddle stick passed the section of rock in front of the tree. I then pulled it out and pulled the rope to feel the resistance of pulling the rope around the tree. It was high and I was concerned about being able to pull the rappel rope from the bottom. I think it would be very difficult or not possible. I decided I wanted the shortest amount of rope to have to slide around the tree for ease of the pull and not to mark the tree. That is why I put it on the closest branch to the drop that could support the weight. I would say it took about 200 lbs to pull the stick. My body weight was not enough. Another thing that I think could have made for the difficult pull was that I used my Sterling C4 rope to pull the stick. It is pretty stretchy using the full 200 ft. I think it absorbed alot of my energy trying to pull the stick. Had I used my Imlay rope I think the pull might have came out on my first tug. The tree is back at least 40 to 50 ft from the drop.
    Another thing to consider, which you did, was possible damage to the tree. Dragging a lot of rope around it will eventually damage all or part of it. A secure, dead tree would be a better option. If canyoneers eventually kill that tree from using it too much or incorrectly, that will be another nail in the coffin for this route.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Another thing to consider, which you did, was possible damage to the tree. Dragging a lot of rope around it will eventually damage all or part of it. A secure, dead tree would be a better option. If canyoneers eventually kill that tree from using it too much or incorrectly, that will be another nail in the coffin for this route.
    I completely agree

That's one reason I like the Buckle better for this rap.. webbing is easier on a tree than rope....

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    That's one reason I like the Buckle better for this rap.. webbing is easier on a tree than rope....
    Indeed, but using either of the two devices almost eliminates any wear & tear to the tree / anchor.

12. Likes ratagonia liked this post