Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nov 14-16 Frost Fest Canyoneering Gathering?

I'm going to have to bail. I double booked plans Saturday. I'm also a little concerned about the drive through Price canyon to and from. Sorry.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Guess that leaves Rob. Rob are you still going?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Sounds like 5 of us are going, if Rob is in. Let me know if anyone else is interested.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I'm in.

I'm just up the road at Capitol Reef, and it didn't get above freezing all day today. Some wind chill too. Minor snow flurries. Happy to relocate to Moab or other warmer climes? Mexico?

Earlier this week, I was good to go. But then the "GLOBAL WARMING POLAR VORTEX" screwed up my work schedule and now I have to make it up this weekend. Bummer...as I was looking forward to meeting you guys and seeing you again, Scott, after 12 years or so.

Have fun...and at least EVERYBODY should bring a big arm full of firewood, eh?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

I'm just up the road at Capitol Reef, and it didn't get above freezing all day today. Some wind chill too. Minor snow flurries. Happy to relocate to Moab or other warmer climes? Mexico?
    We could meet in Moab, if you would rather (either place is OK with me). If so though, let's decide quick since I'm leaving early afternoon tomorrow.

Charlie E. & Teresa are already in Moab, so that may be best if you're happy. I'll probably be a wimp and book into the Super 8. I'll pm you my cell number.

Rob

That's Ok with me.

I'll be staying at the Riverside Inn, across from Super 8.

Any idea what canyon y'all might be doing on Saturday?

Rooms at Super 8 in Moab $40......sounds like my kind of camping

Maybe Granary or some new canyons along Onion Creek? Some people want to do Lomatian.

PS, guess I'm staying at the Super 8 after all. The rate went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Maybe Granary or some new canyons along Onion Creek? Some people want to do Lomatian.
    Scott,
    If you end up doing Lomatium, let me know what you think about how to best anchor the big rap off Abbey Arch, since the new regs won't allow placing rope or sling on the arch itself. I'm in communication with some park officials about that. Photos might help if you can take any.

We fiddlesticked off the tree behind the arch, although the pull was quite tough.

Dang, Just saw this thread. I'd love to join but can't make it happen this time. I was in Hogwarts and Leprechaun (Right Fork) a few weeks ago (see trip report). They were both dry except for some knee deep puddles at the end of Leprechaun.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionPacker View Post
    I was in Hogwarts and Leprechaun (Right Fork) a few weeks ago (see trip report). They were both dry except for some knee deep puddles at the end of Leprechaun.
    oops, I missed the part where you guys switched it up to Moab area so a trip report for Leprechaun is not that helpful.

Have fun,

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Scott,
    If you end up doing Lomatium, let me know what you think about how to best anchor the big rap off Abbey Arch, since the new regs won't allow placing rope or sling on the arch itself. I'm in communication with some park officials about that. Photos might help if you can take any.

Like Rob said it was a tough pull to get the stick out. When it did everything fell down fine.
    Name:  GOPR2565.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  112.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post
    Like Rob said it was a tough pull to get the stick out. When it did everything fell down fine.
    Name:  GOPR2565.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  112.4 KB
    What if you placed the Fiddlestick closer to the lip of the rappel (still wrapping the rope around the tree). how do you think that would work out? I think it would work great, my only concern would b the 30' of rope that would have to be pulled around the tree to retreive the rope.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    What if you placed the Fiddlestick closer to the lip of the rappel (still wrapping the rope around the tree). how do you think that would work out? I think it would work great, my only concern would b the 30' of rope that would have to be pulled around the tree to retreive the rope.
    Blake: If I remember correctly, that rap was 135' when we used to do a webbing anchor, well extended off the arch. The distance back to the tree is probably another 30 - 40' ??, leaving only about another 25' - 35 max for the wrap around & knot. Doesn't seem like you'll gain all that much and it probably won't reach back to the sloping edge. I suspect you'd have to have a rope longer than 200'. I'm going there Friday to see & analyze what might be best.

21. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I actually first wrapped the rope around the main trunk of the tree and put the fiddle stick passed the section of rock in front of the tree. I then pulled it out and pulled the rope to feel the resistance of pulling the rope around the tree. It was high and I was concerned about being able to pull the rappel rope from the bottom. I think it would be very difficult or not possible. I decided I wanted the shortest amount of rope to have to slide around the tree for ease of the pull and not to mark the tree. That is why I put it on the closest branch to the drop that could support the weight. I would say it took about 200 lbs to pull the stick. My body weight was not enough. Another thing that I think could have made for the difficult pull was that I used my Sterling C4 rope to pull the stick. It is pretty stretchy using the full 200 ft. I think it absorbed alot of my energy trying to pull the stick. Had I used my Imlay rope I think the pull might have came out on my first tug. The tree is back at least 40 to 50 ft from the drop.