Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nov 14-16 Frost Fest Canyoneering Gathering?

Nov 14-16 Frost Fest Canyoneering Gathering?

I was thinking of organizing another informal canyoneering gathering. Last time, we called it Frost Fest since the weather usually isn't as cold in mid-November as it is during Freeze Fest.

Would anyone be interested?

Last time we went to North Wash and could do that again, but we could also do something like Robbers Roost, Capitol Reef, Angel Cove area, Ticaboo, or Lost Springs area.

Robbers Roost will likely have some wet and muddy canyons, but some of them, such as the North Fork Robbers Roost, White Roost, and West/Main Forks Bluejohn tend to stay dry.

I haven't done anything technical in the main part of Capitol Reef (but have farther south in the Waterpocket Fold), so that might be nice for me. I assume the Wives or Cassidy might be reasonable late season?

The Angel Cove area has some nice slots that should be good late season, but they do tend to be on the short side.

The Ticaboo area should be good and for those that don't want to camp, the Ticaboo Lodge does have some pretty good rates late season.

The Lost Springs area is good to visit late season, but there doesn't seem to be much out there in the way of larger campsites (it does have scattered small ones though).

Thoughts?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Not sure if we can attend but it's a possibility. Here are a few thoughts on yours:
    North Wash - most variety of canyons in a short distance & one of the best campsites.
    Robbers Roost - was drier than expected. We did Alcatraz & Mindbender last weekend and at the most had upper thigh water - & not much overall. Large camp area at Granary Springs is relatively convenient. No convenient lodging.
    Capitol Reef - several shorter canyons for shorter daylight hours, nice campground with a special group site away from other campers; lodging is close by for non-campers. Wives & Cassidy would be excellent choices but other options available.
    Mini-slots/Angel - plenty of short choices. Lodging only in Hanksville. Camping options are limited & not very attractive unless you work out of Sandthrax.
    Ticaboo - plenty of canyons to choose from. Attractive large group camping options limited from what I know of?
    Lost Spring - limited number of canyons, large campsite choices limited but on the north side of the main canyon there may be a possibility.
    Not mentioned: The Swell - which we found to be on the wet side & will probably continue that way
    Cedar Mesa - perhaps too far for some, haven't seen any recent reports on the main canyons there but plenty of choices; no close lodging but fairly large group type campsite near Fry with some pinyon/juniper trees.
    Just some thoughts.

Thanks for the input.

Cedar Mesa - perhaps too far for some, haven't seen any recent reports on the main canyons there but plenty of choices; no close lodging but fairly large group type campsite near Fry with some pinyon/juniper trees.
    I didn't put it on the list since most canyons are wet (at least the ones I've done) and at higher elevation.

Not mentioned: The Swell - which we found to be on the wet side & will probably continue that way
    I suspected they might be wet as well, at least the well known ones. I'd love to climb Chimney Rock though and there are lots of group campsites in that area. There are a fair amount of canyons in that area that might be dry, but they tend to be long hikes. If Baptist/Chute Canyon is dry, it's not far from that area either.

All others that have easy access that I know of and are good canyons are probably wet. I guess Goblins Lair/Chamber of the Basilisk won't be, but it's short.

Ticaboo - plenty of canyons to choose from. Attractive large group camping options limited from what I know of?
    There are some good large campsites around Starr Springs. I'm not sure about the mesa itself since I've always gone with a small group.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I'd certainly be interested. That is, if you'd be happy to put up with me again Scott. :)

I must confess that I'd like to do some more routes in Capitol Reef, having done a few of the Wives last year. But a gathering anywhere suits me (I'll be on holiday).

Rob
    (UK foreigner arriving with ropes)

I have that weekend off. Count me and one of my boys in. I might have my 2 buddies from work along as well.

Don't much care where we go as long as it's not over our skill level.

I'm interested. I've been thinking a lot about Ticaboo lately, so I'd vote for that area.

I'd be in. I'd prefer the North Wash, Ticaboo, Lost Springs, Roost, and Capital Reef, in that order.

I think I'd be in and could probably drag a few folks with me. North wash or Robber's my preference

Is this still going to happen?

Yes. Sorry, been a little busy lately, but it's time to start planning.

First matter of business, is everyone OK with camping are people wanting some place close to a hotel?

I might be able to come as well. Motels? We don't need no stinking motels!!

The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Agreed, camping is fine.

16. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Camping is fine.

Maybe we should just go to North Wash since everyone knows where it is and how to find each other.

I'll be there Friday night.

Perfect, I've never done the Main and West forks of Leprachaun. I'd also be game for any of the Hog canyons, or the mini-slots.

Sounds good to me. I'd like to do Hogwarts, amongst others.

Rob

OK, so what is everyone else driving? I'll be in a blue Subaru Outback.

It sounds like there is going to be more than one group down there.

Also, is anyone else bringing firewood? I'm just wondering if I should take my small trailer or not.

Not sure yet what I'll be driving, but will let you know for sure on Thursday. I will also bring some firewood.

Weather is looking decent:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...1#.VGLancn4ocY

So who's still going. Rob L and qedcook? Anyone else?