Thread: Torn between two ropes!

Torn between two ropes!

Hello everyone, first post here on bogley :)
    I'm in the market for a new canyon rope around ~9mm with low elongation and that will work smoothly with a Totem, and I've narrowed it down to two ropes:

The Imlay Canyonero 9.2mm
    http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...oduct=10914028

And the Bluewater canyonator 9mm
    https://bluewaterropes.com/product/9mm-canyonator/

I know they are very similar ropes but I can't decide which to get. It will mostly be used in Hawaii canyons which almost always involve lots of water.
    Anyone have input on these ropes?? Thanks :D

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Torn between two ropes!

Imlay, without question.

The canyonator has a much thinner sheath and is much more prone to damage. I love bluewater everything, but the canyonator is really sub par for them.

Personally, I think the Imlay canyon fire is the best rope out there for the money. But if you're convinced you want a 9mm, go imlay.

Cayonero = higher abrasion resistance
    Canyonator = better handling + smoother rappels (not so stiff)

Which is more important to you?

I bought 9.2mm as my first rope thinking I would need the durability....but the size and weight is a huge liability. You may want to consider the 8.2mm if you are set on a poly rope, they hold up just fine.

Avoid the Canyonater at all costs. I had a 220' Canyonater that is now in about 8 pieces due to multiple core shots. It is very prone to damage.

If you want a 9mm rope, I would personally suggest the Sterling C-IV. Its very abrasion resistant and as light as most 8mm ropes. Although, it can be bouncy when wet.

Hawaii = lots of water and sharp rock (AFAIK). Not the best place for less than 9mm ropes.

My Imlay rope seemed to do fine. I know the Maui Canyon team uses a lot of Sterling ropes though.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Imlay. The bluewater rope is too bouncy.

Did you consider the 8.3mm rope?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastoahu View Post
    Hello everyone, first post here on bogley :)
    I'm in the market for a new canyon rope around ~9mm with low elongation and that will work smoothly with a Totem, and I've narrowed it down to two ropes:

The Imlay Canyonero 9.2mm
    http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...oduct=10914028

And the Bluewater canyonator 9mm
    https://bluewaterropes.com/product/9mm-canyonator/

I know they are very similar ropes but I can't decide which to get. It will mostly be used in Hawaii canyons which almost always involve lots of water.
    Anyone have input on these ropes?? Thanks :D

Thanks for all the response guys, very helpful!! Just came across this rope too. http://www.sterlingrope.com/product/...P090/_/9mm_HTP

Marketed for arboring but seems about the same as the Imlay. Has anyone tried these "htp" ropes?

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    Avoid the Canyonater at all costs. I had a 220' Canyonater that is now in about 8 pieces due to multiple core shots. It is very prone to damage.

Damn, good to know!! Pretty sure the canyons here in Hawaii would eat those alive.

If you want a 9mm rope, I would personally suggest the Sterling C-IV. Its very abrasion resistant and as light as most 8mm ropes. Although, it can be bouncy when wet.
    That'd probably be my ideal rope, a bit too pricey since I'm getting 300' of it. Also, I'm really excited about to super low bounce with the Imlay.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Hawaii = lots of water and sharp rock (AFAIK). Not the best place for less than 9mm ropes.
    Yeah the island is a giant volcano and lava rock is pretty damn sharp. Are 9mm that much more durable than 8?? I guess the extra sheath would really help.

Quote Originally Posted by skelley View Post
    Imlay. The bluewater rope is too bouncy.

Did you consider the 8.3mm rope?
    I haven't considered it actually, just lighter weight and faster rappel speed? The rope will almost always be wet..

The HTP is good static rope but it's not specifically designed for canyons.

Go with the imlay canyonero.

12. Likes Skeeter liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastoahu View Post
    Are 9mm that much more durable than 8?? I guess the extra sheath would really help.
    Not necessarily; it depends on construction, materials, etc. But with all else being equal in those areas, a larger diameter is inherently more robust due to:

- more material = greater resistance to cuts and abrasion (more material must be cut/worn away before the rope is seriously damaged)
    - Pressure/wear at a rub point is spread over a larger surface area
    - more material bearing the load = lower stretch = reduced sawing/rubbing action

Another side benefit of larger diameter is reduced wear rate on descenders. Probably not an issue in Hawaii...

14. Likes Taylor liked this post
    HTP is a little heavy and bulky for canyoneering, excellent rope though.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    And...

If you order the Imlay rope from me, CanyoneeringUSA, you pay 10$ for shipping. Which to Hawaii amounts to a generous discount.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    And...

If you order the Imlay rope from me, CanyoneeringUSA, you pay 10$ for shipping. Which to Hawaii amounts to a generous discount.

Tom
    Awesome!! I will definitely be ordering some!! Got to play with some Canyon Fire today and I really liked it. Expect an order from me soon! (may order a pack as well ;)

Thanks!