Thread: Hogtastic Adventure!

Hogtastic Adventure!

<font color="#000000"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman">

High stemming. Rated R. Four canyons in ONE day? Slots so narrow that you can get stuck!

Bring it on! Let the Hog "wrestling" begin!

Yeah.... these canyons kind of intimidated me for a while, But the pictures I had seen of them inspired me. The area is beautiful and canyons look amazing! The desire to visit some pretty places trumped my fear of getting squished in the slot canyons. I love canyoneering!

The game plan was to backpack in and camp in between Boss Hog canyon and Hog 2. The hope was to hike all 4 of the Hog canyons, and camping where we did allowed us to visit basecamp every time we hiked the slickrock exit back up to the tops of the canyon. It worked out perfectly.

The evening before, after we had camp setup, we had a blast messing around with our cameras. I had just purchased as new GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition camera and was very eager to test out the new Night Photo modes. We had some great fun messing around with our cameras that night.

Morning came fast! (It didn't help that we stayed up way to late taking pictures of fireballs and glowsticks! haha) I am usually not a morning person, but when it comes to adventure, it doesn't take much to get me up and out of my sleeping bag. In order for us to complete all 4 Hog canyons in a day, we needed an early start. We were a bit later than planned, but we were still on the trail heading to Razorback canyon by 7:00 AM. Not bad.

The canyons were fabulous!Each canyon was very different. Razor back was my first canyon that involved "high" stemming. Boss Hawg was deeper, higher, narrower and longer. Hog 2 was wider and had some fantastic rappels. The "birth canal" section of Hog 2 was a definite favorite! Miss Piggy had been done before, but this trip was super fun! I love the down climbs in that canyon. Luke and I blasted through it and had a great time doing it!

So... doing all 4 canyons in 12 hours was AWESOME! What a mental and physical push! By the end of the 3rd canyon, I was ready to give up, but Luke kept me going. He had a goal to do all 4 (even though we both had done Miss Piggy before), and he helped get me to do em all!

This trip was such a fun adventure. I love an occasional canyon "jihad".

Last edited by Kuya; 11-18-2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added a video
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Hogtastic Adventure!

Nice Blake. Great looking photos.

This is another area I'd like to hit up this next year.

So looking at the area, it seems like driving to the "top" trailhead (compared to the hog springs trailhead) would of saved quite a bit hiking time.

Did you think about that option?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Yes. We parked at the top of the canyons and started our aproach from there.
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Blog Entries

Hogtastic Adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Yes. We parked at the top of the canyons and started our aproach from there.
    Ohhh....

I read the TR as if you "hiked in" from Hog Springs. Silly me.

Thanks for the correction.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Ohhh....

I read the TR as if you "hiked in" from Hog Springs. Silly me.

Thanks for the correction.
    HAHA! yeah, I wasn't super clear about where we started our trip. We parked up top and backpacked and camped at the TH to Boss Hog. With our basecamp there, we were able to come back after every canyon and refuel. It worked out really nice.

I would like to possibly backpack in from the bottom and camp at the bottom of the canyons too. I think it would be really pretty camping down at the bottom of Boss Hog!
    My YouTube Channel

HAHA! yeah, I wasn't super clear about where we started our trip. We parked up top and backpacked and camped at the TH to Boss Hog. With our basecamp there, we were able to come back after every canyon and refuel. It worked out really nice.

I would like to possibly backpack in from the bottom and camp at the bottom of the canyons too. I think it would be really pretty camping down at the bottom of Boss Hog!
    Congrats on making all 4 in a day! You obviously had no problem with the upclimb each time, but what did you think of it?

8. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

I think it is unclear to us (and is certainly unclear what you mean to me) what constitutes the "TH to Boss Hog". You mean, on the road, where you start the hike into the Hogs? Or perhaps at the Top of Boss Hog. I was thinking you meant at the foot of the slab climb up, but that would be somewhat hard to get to.

If you would, please clarify.

Thanks.

T

Ahhhh. Yes. I see how that is unclear. What I mean is the top of the slot just above (or next to) the drop in point for Boss Hawg and "Piggyback" (Hog 2).

My apologies for the confusion.
    My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Congrats on making all 4 in a day! You obviously had no problem with the upclimb each time, but what did you think of it?
    Making that upclimb the first time was CRAZY! we actually found a small cliff with an overhang (located near the slab) that my team was able to boost me up and over. It was very sketchy and I didn't like it. BUT once I got up we found a webbing anchor that we used to rig a handline that allowed for an easy climb for everyone else .

My friend @pikan did make the climb up "the slab" which gave me confidence that I could do it the next go around (which I did).

So yeah, that is a pretty crazy climb. adds to the fun though. Overall, the trip was fantastic. It was a lot of work, but it was a great day.
    My YouTube Channel

Here is the video! It is my first time ever incorporating voiceover and interviews. I have lots to learn, but I think it adds much to the canyoneering videos!

My YouTube Channel

13. Likes hikster11 liked this post
    Ahhh... did this a year ago today. What a fun adventure it was!
    My YouTube Channel

16. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Nice throwback! Great report again.
    Thanks it was such a fun trip. hard, but super fun.
    My YouTube Channel