Thread: Potshot Anchor retrieval - which order?

Potshot Anchor retrieval - which order?

Hi All,
    I was wondering if there is any importance to which potshot you set up to pull 1st...pictures below are from different Bogley / CUSA (thank Tom) threads, and show opposite methods (one shows pulling the bottom potshot 1st, and other shows pulling the top potshot 1st). Is the answer "depends on the situation???"

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The answer is...... use a Sandtrap instead!

4. Likes deagol liked this post
    The top one. That illustration has them stacked in the wrong order. The one at the end of the rope should be on the bottom of the pile, at least that's how I've rigged it.

I prefer a sandtrap anyway.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Maybe that's why it didn't work!

We gave stacked potshots a try, but generally found they were difficult to get to work.

In the configuration shown, you can't really retrieve the top potshot first, because the rappel rope is tied to it. It would have been smarter to turn the stack over so the rap rope is afixed to the bottom potshot, so the top potshot could be pulled off first.

Those guys put some more effort into getting this method to work. I think it works better when you have the rap rope tied to just one potshot, and stack the other ones on top. We weren't thinking that way, because then your rap rope is only tied to one itty bitty bag of sand - and that's CRAZY!

So seriously, as far as I am concerned, stacking potshots is not a good method. The SandTrap is so much better.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ok...Seems like unanimously folks prefer Sandtrap...so...as far as Sandtrap...does anyone have good advice for Taco vs. Sandwich setup (besides the obvious geometries...for example...does wet vs. dry sand impacts the decision?)

Just buy one and use the sand trap as directed. Works great if you keep it simple and back it up/watch for movement for all but the last rapper.

Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik
    ok...Seems like unanimously folks prefer Sandtrap...so...as far as Sandtrap...does anyone have good advice for Taco vs. Sandwich setup (besides the obvious geometries...for example...does wet vs. dry sand impacts the decision?)
    I wouldn't say unanimous... There are situations where potshots work better than a sandtrap. When retrieving them, the answer is always from the top down.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...p-and-Potshots

For either potshots or the sandtrap, there are 3 variables: weight, angle and friction which end up being like an addition or multiplication formula.

The general deployment of a sandtrap is in "taco mode" (folded over). This is to keep the sand in the trap so it does not fall out the back. This also assumes that you have reasonable angle and friction.
    When you are low on angle and friction, you will need more weight and will use "tostada mode" (flat).
    "Sandwich mode" is essentially stacking 2 "tostada mode" sandtraps on top of each other. I have not found much use for this.

In general, it is best to learn to use these systems from someone already well versed. Once you have learned them and are comfortable with the tolerances, use them with a large enough group to thoroughly test the anchor, while it is backed up, before the last person has to rely on it completely.

Be safe!!

There are a few instances where I've found sand bags to be the better option, but not often. When stacking, we have threaded the onto the rap rope but stack them right side up. Opposite of the illustration. All bags are still attached to the rope but the top one is clipped on last and pulled first.

In any case, the Sandtrap is considered first.

I've got an affinity for potshot anchors. Here's how I rig...

EDIT: In this pic the tether that is connecting the meat backup with the anchor is taught, it shouldn't be, there should be a A LITTLE slack.
    With a taught tether, the meat backup pulls on the bottom potshot and can affect the dynamics of the anchor system, making it unsafe for LAPAR.
    With too much slack there is a risk of shockloading the meat backup in the case of anchor failure.

Name:  01potstackexplain.jpg
Views: 4025
Size:  118.1 KB
    Sam

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post

EDIT: In this pic the tether that is connecting the meat backup with the anchor is taut, it shouldn't be, there should be a A LITTLE slack.
    With a taut tether, the meat backup pulls on the bottom potshot and can affect the dynamics of the anchor system, making it unsafe for LAPAR.
    With too much slack there is a risk of shockloading the meat backup in the case of anchor failure.

Sam
    Nice!

EDIT: In this pic the tether that is connecting the meat backup with the anchor is taught, it shouldn't be, there should be a A LITTLE slack.
    With a taught tether, the meat backup pulls on the bottom potshot and can affect the dynamics of the anchor system, making it unsafe for LAPAR.

Sam
    Bingo

Sam
    Great diagram!!

I do the same with 1 change... I connect the meat backup to what you have labeled as the point where "rap strand is attached to bottom potshot". The reason for doing this is to remove 1 potential point of failure in the event of an anchor failure.

15. Likes SRG, harness man liked this post