Thread: Reward for lost gear

Reward for lost gear

If you or any of your friends or acquaintances discovered and recovered a pack and rope at the trail head to Repeat Junior east of Arches National Park, I'm the idiot that left it there and then just finished a 700 mile all night solo round trip in the slim hope that it might still be there. (It was not) I'm offering a reward of $100.00 (or more if necessary) for its return. It was a Desert Orange Imlay Kolob (with the lid removed and a lot of gear inside and a nikon camera attached to the shoulder strap). The rope was a well used red and yellow Imlay 200' 8mm.
    In the hopes that someone can learn something from my experience: In the future I will put my name and phone number in permanent marker in as much of my gear as possible. (Do it with all my kayak gear, don't know why it never occurred to me to do it with my climbing and canyoneering gear.) In the future I will do a thorough look around above, below, and around my vehicle when hitting the trail or the road at all trail heads.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I also put my contact info on the SD card in my camera. Good luck with getting your gear back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Parmenter View Post
    If you or any of your friends or acquaintances discovered and recovered a pack and rope at the trail head to Repeat Junior east of Arches National Park, I'm the idiot that left it there and then just finished a 700 mile all night solo round trip in the slim hope that it might still be there. (It was not) I'm offering a reward of $100.00 (or more if necessary) for its return. It was a Desert Orange Imlay Kolob (with the lid removed and a lot of gear inside and a nikon camera attached to the shoulder strap). The rope was a well used red and yellow Imlay 200' 8mm.
    In the hopes that someone can learn something from my experience: In the future I will put my name and phone number in permanent marker in as much of my gear as possible. (Do it with all my kayak gear, don't know why it never occurred to me to do it with my climbing and canyoneering gear.) In the future I will do a thorough look around above, below, and around my vehicle when hitting the trail or the road at all trail heads.
    Hi Bill -

Don't know if you have contacted Arches NP, or Canyonlands NP, but they often get these kind of things turned in. another contact would be Brett Sutteer at Cliffs and Canyons in Moab, who is usually on top of things.

Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Parmenter View Post

Aye that is a bummer! I posted your link in the sticky thread above for easy finding. Hopefully, someone will come across it soon.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks Tom,
    I tried your suggestions. I also just placed a sizable order with Imlay. So if all my efforts pay off I guess I'll have spares of everything. If not I'll be back in the canyons with new gear and lessons learned.

Gear has been found and retrieved. The kind people from Moab who found my pack were back out in the same area about a week and a half later and saw the note I taped to the sign with my phone number on it. If anyone is back out at Repeat Jr before I am please remove the note from the sign at the trail head.