Thread: Paria/Buckskin -Best Month

Paria/Buckskin -Best Month

Would like to plan a Paria/Buckskin backpack. Was thinking during spring break (last full weekend of March) but not sure that is the best month. What I mean by best is what month has less thunder storms? I have hiked Utah in March during blizzards, sand storms and blue sky days and water is always cold, but all in all, still fun. Last year, Zion including swimming the Subway which was ice cold but doable. Water not so much a concern as thunderstorms. What are your thoughts for March or a better, drier month? I realize the time change doesn't start until April, so I'm thinking for March I would need to add an extra day.

Also, what length rope is necessary to bring to do this hike as well as how many days to not rush and enjoy some side canyons?
    What can I expect of water depth, waist, chest, swimming?

Thanks to those knowledgeable!

Donna Gail

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Everything you could ever want to know about Buckskin is here:

Buckskin Gulch
    http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

I've done Buckskin a dozen times so I can answer a few of your questions. May is the month I most prefer. Do the canyon before it gets to hot or the slog out to White House/Lee's Ferry is brutal. Expect some wading in waist deep water. I have done the slot without getting my shoes wet and I have encountered neck deep wading (never had to swim). Just to be safe I dry bag everything of importance. I don't carry a wetsuit. The sections of water are pretty short and widely spaced so you don't want to hike that far in a wetsuit. It's easy to warm up once through the sections of water. You might need a 40' rope, sometimes you don't even need that but carry one just in case. Enter at Wire pass and exit White House (my preferred exit) or Lee's Ferry. Do not enter at White House and exit at Lee's Ferry as you miss the best part of the route which is Buckskin. Buckskin is certainly the meat in the sandwich, everything else is tomato's and lettuce.

Agree with the above. May and early June are the best times for the Buckskin. Perhaps the best option is to enter the Buckskin and hike out Lees Ferry, but it's a long car shuttle and the second part of the hike is much warmer than the first, although you can always cool off in the water.

March can be really cold in the Buckskin if there is a lot of water. Sometimes the canyon is dry that time of year, but sometimes it's really wet. It just depends on the year.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Buckskin

Thanks for the great advice and web links. Think I'll shoot for a June 1st date.

Thank you. I plan to shoot for a June 1st permit.

One more question: How many overnights/days should I request a permit for that will allow time to explore some of the side canyons and not rush through?

Paria/Buckskin -Best Month

How reasonable would it be for competent,fit canyoneers do the Paria buckskin loop in one day?

Wes

The loop is often done in a day, but it's a long haul. The best part about doing it that way is permits are not limited for day hikes, if I remember correctly you just pick one up at the trailhead kiosk. If doing the day hike loop you need to be hiking at first light and carry a headlamp. Get a late start and you are destined for failure. The car shuttle should be set up the night before.

The permits would be the only reason for me to do it in a day. Thanks

Wes

on this topic, how easy is the "Middle" entry? I have in mind to drop in at Middle, do an "out and back" eastward, then exit at "Middle"

There is a reason the Middle Entry is not very popular... it kinda sucks. I've been in and out the middle just to check it out. It would be my last option. Doing it in one day isn't too bad if you are an experienced hiker. Doing it as a two day bivy is my preferred, I don't call it a backpack because we normally do it with just a ground cloth and bivy bag, no reason to pack a lot of poor weather gear because you don't want to be in the slot if the weather turns ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    There is a reason the Middle Entry is not very popular... it kinda sucks. I've been in and out the middle just to check it out. It would be my last option. Doing it in one day isn't too bad if you are an experienced hiker. Doing it as a two day bivy is my preferred, I don't call it a backpack because we normally do it with just a ground cloth and bivy bag, no reason to pack a lot of poor weather gear because you don't want to be in the slot if the weather turns ugly.
    Yup- experienced hiker(s), and canyoneers here. Just did not want to do all of Buckskin, is all. Thought we might poke around a middle bit as a day trip after driving close-ish to trailhead in Jeep.. Already did a day trip from Wire Pass - it was OK but nothing special.

For experienced canyoneers the Middle entrance is not an issue. Hikers might be intimidated, but tech canyoneers will just shrug their shoulders and wonder what the fuss was all about. The route involves some minor scrambling and route finding, which is not difficult for experienced canyoneers.

Anyhoo.... In my opinion the best part of Buckskin is from the Middle entrance down to the confluence with Paria. This section is very doable as a single day out and back for experienced canyoneers and is very impressive.

FWIW: After exploring the Middle entrance for many years I've noticed it was used by native Americans to cross the slot canyon. It was really the only place to cross for miles in each direction. Both sides of the crossing are loaded with pectroglyphs, particularly on the north side. I bet I have located at least several hundred pectoglyphs in the area, some are rather impressive. Some are hundreds of feet up on the cliff walls and are easiest to locate when looking across the slot from the top of the south side.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    For experienced canyoneers the Middle entrance is not an issue. Hikers might be intimidated, but tech canyoneers will just shrug their shoulders and wonder what the fuss was all about. The route involves some minor scrambling and route finding, which is not difficult for experienced canyoneers.

Anyhoo.... In my opinion the best part of Buckskin is from the Middle entrance down to the confluence with Paria. This section is very doable as a single day out and back for experienced canyoneers and is very impressive.

FWIW: After exploring the Middle entrance for many years I've noticed it was used by native Americans to cross the slot canyon. It was really the only place to cross for miles in each direction. Both sides of the crossing are loaded with pectroglyphs, particularly on the north side. I bet I have located at least several hundred pectoglyphs in the area, some are rather impressive. Some are hundreds of feet up on the cliff walls and are easiest to locate when looking across the slot from the top of the south side.
    Thanks, IceAxe :-)

Very helpful.

Middle is back on my to-do list.

For experienced canyoneers the Middle entrance is not an issue.
    I thought the same and we didn't have any difficulty, but apparently sometimes the crux has sand on it. When it does, it is supposed to be a problem. Mike Kesley fell off it last time he was there and said that it was very dangerous at the time.

After exploring the Middle entrance for many years I've noticed it was used by native Americans to cross the slot canyon. It was really the only place to cross for miles in each direction. Both sides of the crossing are loaded with pectroglyphs, particularly on the north side. I bet I have located at least several hundred pectoglyphs in the area, some are rather impressive. Some are hundreds of feet up on the cliff walls and are easiest to locate when looking across the slot from the top of the south side.
    True. There are actually many ruins on the Paria Pleateau/Sand Hills south of Buckskin Gulch, so this must have been one of the main routes in from the north.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I once met a family entering through Middle for a day hike. They hung a rope for a hand line and removed it on the way out. Probably a good insurance policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I thought the same and we didn't have any difficulty, but apparently sometimes the crux has sand on it. When it does, it is supposed to be a problem. Mike Kesley fell off it last time he was there and said that it was very dangerous at the time.

True. There are actually many ruins on the Paria Pleateau/Sand Hills south of Buckskin Gulch, so this must have been one of the main routes in from the north.

I hiked Buckskin last year and started to go up Middle Route just a little to check it out. It was very dry last year and a fine layer of sand covered the rocks on the Middle Trail. Made it very difficult to climb and since I really didn't need to, I decided to not risk it. Doable yes but if coming from top down, a rope wouldn't be a bad insurance policy at all.